Overclock.net banner

Looking for a new cpu

2K views 54 replies 16 participants last post by  ar3f 
#1 ·
I've been happy with my wolfdale e8500 over the past 2 years. We've shared some good times, but now those good times are coming to an end. After playing crysis 2, and watching the BF3 video, I already know my poor little e85 just won't cut it. Anyone care to enlighten me on the joys of a shiny new model? I've had nothing but problems in the past with amd so they as a whole are off the discussion table.

I want to build a new rig around a 1k limit, cpu, mobo, and ram. I'm not quite ready to replace my GTX285 yet
frown.gif
Unless you convince me
smile.gif

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;12597273
Go Sandy.
Ditto! Especially if you have access to a MicroCenter nearby
thumb.gif
Some sweet deals to be had there!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NsRhea;12597641
I live in a small town so everything has to be shipped in. No MicroCenter within a few... hundred miles. If I'm going Sandy what type of mobo you guys recommend? Something I won't have to replace next week...
i5 2500K is best bang for buck. Get i7 2600K if you want fastest you can currently buy.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NsRhea;12597641
I live in a small town so everything has to be shipped in. No MicroCenter within a few... hundred miles. If I'm going Sandy what type of mobo you guys recommend? Something I won't have to replace next week...
Wait for the ones with the revised Chipset, they'll probably be in the shelves in the end of the month
smile.gif

#8 ·
Sweet action. Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry if the question was kind of dumb, I'm not a complete noob but I won't pretend like I'm the second coming of Computer Jesus either
tongue.gif
I'm going to look around a bit and post with what I'm looking at based on your suggestions! Thanks again.

#11 ·
Care to link the BF3 video you are talking about? Also is that a Crysis 2 demo?

Honestly, I would have thought your CPU still got a good life left for gaming. Just need to pair it with a strong GPU - assuming you game at least 1680 X 1050 or higher.

But if you really got the itch to upgrade, then by all means do so as suggested by other good members here.

#14 ·
My buddy got a E8400 overclocked to 3.8Ghz. And he plays Metro 2033, Mafia II, all in DX11 and he do not seem to have much of an issue at all with one GTX 560. BTW, if my understanding is correct, your GTX 285 will not be able to do DX11 anyway. You will need at least a GTX 460 or higher. If you want to stick with nVidia, GTX 560 are pretty decently priced. Or go HD 6950 as best bang for buck on AMD side.
My buddy also got a Q6600 to replace his E8400. He overclocked that to 3.2Ghz - could not go higher due to temps. He did a whole bunch of comparison for games, benchmarks, etc. and he leaning to stick with his E8400 and sell the Q6600. There may be a few games that may take advance of the 4 core, but his E8400 was able to OC higher and run cooler.

#15 ·
Yeah I saw that I'm stuck with DX10, but right now my cpu is at a 3.8 but it still screams at me. And like I said, I know this e85 won't last forever but I want to build a new computer with my tax monies before I spend it on other stupid stuff haha.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NsRhea;12598597
Yeah I saw that I'm stuck with DX10, but right now my cpu is at a 3.8 but it still screams at me. And like I said, I know this e85 won't last forever but I want to build a new computer with my tax monies before I spend it on other stupid stuff haha.
Before you make a CPU purchase could you take some screenshots of games that perform poorly. Snap some shots of your CPU/GPU usage.

#18 ·
Bad Company 2 shoots up to 95% cpu usage when there are a lot of particles flying around, the crisis 2 demo has locked my comp twice to the point of a hard restart. I know my drivers and whatnot are up to date but it's just certain situations when my cpu craps itself, and in fps' 3 seconds of not moving is pretty bad.

#26 ·
I don't see much of a point in spending money on a new CPU + Mobo + RAM if you don't have the money to buy a new GPU.

Why don't you save some money and all the Windows reinstallation troubles by simply selling the E8500 while it is still worth something, and get a Q9550. You save yourself the troubles of buying a new mobo + ram and having to install those., and all the time that implies.

Two GTX285 provide 480 shaders, it should be more than enough. Why don't you just exchange the E8500 for a Q9550 ? That's what I did. I had an E8400, and Metro 2033 would stutter, which made me have to play at very conservative settings. With the Q9550, even at stock clocks, I saw a huge improvement. If you want, I made a few benchmarks before and after with the provided Metro 2033 benchmark, I can post them here if you want.

The Q9550 will still last you at least another year. And it overclocks very well. And if you do, you will always have a greatt second system when you eventually upgrade. For now, just keep it 775. When you do build a new system, buy a whole new system. Imo, as of yet, you don't have to.

By the way, the problems with Crysis 2 Demo you're having are probably due to the fact you are using 2 GTX 285 in SLI. Are you using the new beta drivers that provide support for SLI in that game ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.