Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it - Page 23  

post #221 of 377
If you can't innovate, recycle and pretend!
Deimos
(13 items)
 
Pluto
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1090T Biostar TA890FXE Nvidia GTX 470 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 MZ-7PC128D/AM Western Digital Black Western Digital Green Western Digital Blue 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Dtek v2 Water Windows 7 Pro Fedora 16 LG4250 42" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergo Silverstone ST-1000P Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
X-Trac Ripper Asus D1 
  hide details  
Deimos
(13 items)
 
Pluto
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1090T Biostar TA890FXE Nvidia GTX 470 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 MZ-7PC128D/AM Western Digital Black Western Digital Green Western Digital Blue 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Dtek v2 Water Windows 7 Pro Fedora 16 LG4250 42" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergo Silverstone ST-1000P Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
X-Trac Ripper Asus D1 
  hide details  
post #222 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kand View Post
Why HP when you can get Sager?
Doesn't matter, was giving an example.
Scampi
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @4.7GHz ASUS P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 MSI GTX 470 @ 800/1600/1750 12GB (3x4GB) Patriot Signature DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
160GB VelociRaptor Samsung F4 Western Digital Caviar Green Asus Blu-Ray Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony Optiarc Black DVD+R Drive Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional Samsung 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SteelSeries 6Gv2 Seasonic M12II 620w NZXT Lexa S Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries Qck Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card Grado SR60i Headphones 
  hide details  
Scampi
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @4.7GHz ASUS P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 MSI GTX 470 @ 800/1600/1750 12GB (3x4GB) Patriot Signature DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
160GB VelociRaptor Samsung F4 Western Digital Caviar Green Asus Blu-Ray Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony Optiarc Black DVD+R Drive Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional Samsung 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SteelSeries 6Gv2 Seasonic M12II 620w NZXT Lexa S Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries Qck Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card Grado SR60i Headphones 
  hide details  
post #223 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kand View Post
Apple is similar to Call of Duty.

Haters gonna hate.



As for Apple, I don't think it's an "Apple's Post-PC World."

It's just a "more of Apple world". PC is still here, and will stay here for a long,long time.
4-year build.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 @ 4GHz 1.27v (LOAD) EVGA 750i SLI EVGA GTX 460 768MB SC @ 870/1075 G.SKILL PI Black 4GB 4-4-4-12 850MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Blue Caviar 320GB Windows 7 x64 DELL SE198WFP ThermalTake TR2 430w 
Case
It's a table!! 
  hide details  
4-year build.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 @ 4GHz 1.27v (LOAD) EVGA 750i SLI EVGA GTX 460 768MB SC @ 870/1075 G.SKILL PI Black 4GB 4-4-4-12 850MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Blue Caviar 320GB Windows 7 x64 DELL SE198WFP ThermalTake TR2 430w 
Case
It's a table!! 
  hide details  
post #224 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
The same exact quality/warranty. You can choose to be a sucker and pay full price though if you want. So far all the comparisons are close in pricing/specs but are horridly huge and heavier.
No, I am not going to be a sucker at all because I don't plan on buying a MBP refurb or not... lol. I just think its dumb to compare refurb Mac's to NEW PCs.

All the comparisons.... I just posted a notebook that costs almost 1/2 as much as a 15" MBP with similar specs and dimensions... IN THIS THREAD! I own one, I am using it now. =]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Half_Duplex View Post
Apple changed everything for the better.
Definitely agree.
post #225 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris View Post
No, I am not going to be a sucker at all because I don't plan on buying a MBP refurb or not... lol. I just think its dumb to compare refurb Mac's to NEW PCs.

All the comparisons.... I just posted a notebook that costs almost 1/2 as much as a 15" MBP with similar specs and dimensions... IN THIS THREAD! I own one, I am using it now. =]
Just because someone refused shipment or returned a perfectly good MBP, doesn't mean it's any different from a brand new MBP you'd order today. The absolute only difference when you open the box is the lack of a manual. You'd never know comparing them side by side which is which.

What system are you referring to? I doubt it has just as many features for 1/2 the price...
post #226 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
Just because someone refused shipment or returned a perfectly good MBP, doesn't mean it's any different from a brand new MBP you'd order today. The absolute only difference when you open the box is the lack of a manual. You'd never know comparing them side by side which is which.

What system are you referring to? I doubt it has just as many features for 1/2 the price...
There's laptops every where that are superior to to a MBP for 1/2 the price.
Edited by Clawbog - 3/5/11 at 6:37pm
post #227 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
Just because someone refused shipment or returned a perfectly good MBP, doesn't mean it's any different from a brand new MBP you'd order today. The absolute only difference when you open the box is the lack of a manual. You'd never know comparing them side by side which is which.
Whats your point? A refurb is a refurb. Compare apples to apples. If people are going to compare refurb MBP to NEW PCs thats stupid. Compare new to new. Oh wait, that means we have to consider that it costs $1800+ for 15"... you can't just change the facts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
What system are you referring to? I doubt it has just as many features for 1/2 the price...
Envy 14.
post #228 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheatton View Post
Second largest company is a load of BS. Im sorry to say the Apple is a small player in the over all global economy .
As was noted in my absence, I was (as I generally do) to market cap. Certainly I concede that market cap is only one way to value a company, and as was later pointed out, enterprise value is another that may tell a better story. So where does Apple sit when you look at EV? #4. I don't think my statement has really lost much luster!

The Fortune story you linked is looking at different numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Clearly the 15 pages of this topic are comprised solely of comments that you deem constructive to this conversation,
No no, absolutely not. There has been a lot of trash in this thread, and my opening post alluded to as much. But your post did stand out to me that day as not only being completely void of constructive content, but actually being a troll. So what can I say...your post caught my eye and others maybe did not.

Quote:
Honestly though, if you're going to try to take the moral high-road and ridicule me for not being clever enough to satisfy your vast intellect, then don't end your post with a childish personal attack.
Actually I didn't. My post ended by essentially arguing that the Mac lovers can be as full of crap as the Mac haters. Your post was a prop for that argument yes, but it was not an attack on you personally. I'm not subtle when I flame, you'll know it when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtL1776 View Post
Which is quite funny.. Apple's P/E is like 22 and Microsofts is 12, that means 2 companies with similar profits and only Microsoft pays dividends, so the clearly more valuable stock is Microsoft. Add in ExxonMobil which is the largest corporation in the world and probably will make 4x as much as Apple this year and is at a P/E of 13-14 and pays a dividend... yeah even the stock market is prone to the Apple hype!
Well, obviously the forward value of a stock is not found just in technical indicators. The reason Microsoft's stock is cheap by those measures is because there is a lack of investor confidence that Microsoft is going anywhere soon that will make the stock climb. Right? I mean...do YOU think Microsoft is doing anything interesting enough to want to invest your money there? I sure as heck don't. If anything, their core business is weakening...meanwhile Apple keeps releasing products that *gasp!* get people excited and sell faster than they can make them. Yeah...P/E aside, Apple is still the better value! (And 22 is still a pretty cheap ratio for the potential still left in this puppy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
That is a ridiculous argument though. If someone seriously can't figure out how to get work done on windows it's their issue, not windows.
Oh, I agree, don't get me wrong. I was just debunking the point that was made that you had to have a Windows PC to "get work done". Both platforms are excellent for getting work done, and frankly the religion people have makes little sense to me. It's a fricking piece of hardware and an OS, people...yes there is a learning curve to switch from one to the other, and I understand that personal work patterns may tend to bias or lead to a preference for one or the other...but the vitriol I see from both sides (more anti-Apple, though) is just crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheatton View Post
Also why would I want to own stock from a company that never pays a dividend?
The lack of a dividend alone doesn't imply anything positive or negative about a stock. The company could be reinvesting that money in R&D, in acquisitions or other expansions, etc. In my portfolio, for example, very few stocks pay dividends because I'm generally going after aggressive growth, which frequently means no dividend. I won't be getting into the "every stock must pay a healthy dividend" racket until I'm closer to retirement and looking for an income stream from dividends.

What is curious, of course, is that Apple is sitting on a giant pile of cash. And I mean, a gi-normous pile of cash. It is raising some questions about whether they are going to make some acquisitions; and if not, they should return some of that money to investors as a dividend. As an investor in AAPL, I tend to agree...do something with the money. Either pay me a dividend, or do something else to make the share price go up further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris View Post
lol wut? Neither are going away. If one did... well consider who holds 90% of the OS market... its in EVERY business...
Well I was exaggerating of course...neither one is going away, I agree. But in a hypothetical world where one could go away, Apple's market value is so much higher than Microsoft's that MS would go away first. But even then they wouldn't "disappear"...they would be acquired, if they shrank small enough. But again...a ridiculous parallel world is what we're talking about here, it's a nonsense idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris View Post


You must be joking. Internet only cloud based computing is very much going to be the future... If anything you should be in line with this as it is a very apple-esq idea... Cloud computing is the ultimate expression of a not having to set anything up, "it just works" device. Seriously??? Netbooks are dead in favor of what??? MBP? lol.
I assume you didn't read the whole thread, or all my posts, or something? What I was saying is that there is no room for a device that was, for all intents and purposes, a cloud laptop. Not because cloud computing is bad or stupid, but because we have other, better devices that fill the spectrum of all devices very well. Going from smallest to largest is smartphones (cloud), tablets (cloud), Atrix-like docks (cloud), ultra-portable laptops (traditional), and powerful (i.e. good) laptops (traditional). I just don't see room in there for another device...between the Atrix method and ultraportables laptops, there just doesn't seem to be a point for a cloud laptop.

But hey...the market could prove me wrong. This is just my take.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #229 of 377
so apple is basically saying that in the future we'll be using tablets with 5" screens to browse the web mainly?
i just upgraded to a 23" monitor and this new does not make me happy >:[
i prefer big screens.
Dream PC
(17 items)
 
Surface Pro 3
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 MSI Geforce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG SM951 NVMe 512GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB COOLER MASTER Nepton 280L MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
BENQ XL2420TE DELL UltraSharp U2415 WASD V2 custom CORSAIR HX850i 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT H440 white CORSAIR Vengeance M95 CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z CPU Delid 
Other
LED Lighting 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4300U Microsoft Surface Intel HD Graphics 4400 8 GB DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardMouse
256 GB SSD Windows 10 Pro x64 Surface Pro 4 Type Cover with Fingerprint ID Microsoft Arc Mouse Surface Edition 
  hide details  
Dream PC
(17 items)
 
Surface Pro 3
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 MSI Geforce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG SM951 NVMe 512GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB COOLER MASTER Nepton 280L MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
BENQ XL2420TE DELL UltraSharp U2415 WASD V2 custom CORSAIR HX850i 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT H440 white CORSAIR Vengeance M95 CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z CPU Delid 
Other
LED Lighting 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4300U Microsoft Surface Intel HD Graphics 4400 8 GB DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardMouse
256 GB SSD Windows 10 Pro x64 Surface Pro 4 Type Cover with Fingerprint ID Microsoft Arc Mouse Surface Edition 
  hide details  
post #230 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
I assume you didn't read the whole thread, or all my posts, or something? What I was saying is that there is no room for a device that was, for all intents and purposes, a cloud laptop. Not because cloud computing is bad or stupid, but because we have other, better devices that fill the spectrum of all devices very well. Going from smallest to largest is smartphones (cloud), tablets (cloud), Atrix-like docks (cloud), ultra-portable laptops (traditional), and powerful (i.e. good) laptops (traditional). I just don't see room in there for another device...between the Atrix method and ultraportables laptops, there just doesn't seem to be a point for a cloud laptop.

But hey...the market could prove me wrong. This is just my take.
I read all your posts. Smartphones and tablets are not cloud computers?????? The Google laptop has only a stripped out OS and a web browser on it. Essentially that is it. All of the "Apps" on it reside on servers somewhere else. The only processing left for the laptop to do is run the browser and supply the graphics, maybe some other rudimentary work is done on the laptop as well. You don't install programs ever, it is literally nothing with out the internet, but likewise doesn't require any thought to use. It seems very in keeping with the Apple ideals.

Smartphones and tablets have programs on them and can have apps installed onto them. They are not cloud devices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it