Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it - Page 29  

post #281 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
You want to show where you're getting your facts on how OSX is ridden full of holes and how Windows has somehow has closed them all long ago? Microsoft and security don't belong in the same sentence.
Here's a year-old article on the subject: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html

People who believe Macs are super secure are crazy. Both OS's are roughly equal, each having their strengths and weaknesses. But the perception is that Windows is more vulnerable because there are more attacks on Windows, which is only a direct consequence of their being more Windows machines to attack. This is obvious to anyone who has their eyes open.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #282 of 377
Heres an unbiased start... http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html

OSX is easily more exploitable... its pretty common knowledge. No one writes attacks for OSX though because too few people use it. Its a waste of time for a hacker to write attacks for only 6% of computers.

EDIT: Haha, exactly the same time. =]
post #283 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Here's a year-old article on the subject: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html

People who believe Macs are super secure are crazy. Both OS's are roughly equal, each having their strengths and weaknesses. But the perception is that Windows is more vulnerable because there are more attacks on Windows, which is only a direct consequence of their being more Windows machines to attack. This is obvious to anyone who has their eyes open.
You're forgetting that by nature of design, OS X is far more secure than Windows, unless they changed one of the main things about a Unix-Like OS, a virus can only muck around in the userland and not in everything. (Not entirely sure about how Apple have worked with that, but I know that Windows always makes your main account an Admin one whereas Unix tries to make you a standard user account with a separate root account.)

OS X is more vulnerable in cracking to gain access to a persons files though, I'm fairly sure, but you have to ask yourself...Which is more likely to happen? A Virus or someone trying to access your files? Apple really need to work on that though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
post #284 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Here's a year-old article on the subject: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html

People who believe Macs are super secure are crazy. Both OS's are roughly equal, each having their strengths and weaknesses. But the perception is that Windows is more vulnerable because there are more attacks on Windows, which is only a direct consequence of their being more Windows machines to attack. This is obvious to anyone who has their eyes open.
The article basically said Mac users are more likely to be taken by Phishers on websites. And that Mac users generally have more money. Not that the OS itself is flawed any more than Windows.

Windows apologists who keep excusing Windows for being so flawed just because it has more market share doesn't change the fact that you're still going to be attacked. For 10+ years people have been laughing at windows update as Microsoft often ignores vulnerabilities for years or takes 6 months to patch a widely known exploit. Why do you think the server world prefers not to use Microsoft SQL server and Windows Server 2008? Because it offers great security? That's a market where the OS is chosen by professionals with security in mind. Obviously nothing is completely secure but one has far more gaping holes.

Still waiting on cold hard facts of how Windows has closed security holes OSX still has open, rather than just biased opinions making excuses for market share. I can link to a ton of Apple fanboy sites spouting a bunch of fluff as well. Where's the data to backup what they're saying? Pretty funny how the majority of the people there admit to using and prefer a Mac too.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 3/9/11 at 1:28pm
post #285 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
You're forgetting that by nature of design, OS X is far more secure than Windows, unless they changed one of the main things about a Unix-Like OS, a virus can only muck around in the userland and not in everything.
Perhaps, but UserLand is probably all you need to get into to steal the logon to my bank account and steal my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
The article basically said Mac users are more likely to be taken by Phishers on websites.
That's somewhat of an oversimplification of what they were saying, that undervalues what every information security professional will tell you: the people are the weak link, not the machines. The point is that social engineering takes place everywhere, and no OS can prevent someone from willingly opening the doors to the kingdom.

And you can deride what they say all you want, they are experts in this field. Show me a bunch of experts that make your point before you expect me to look down on these statements in the way you apparently have. You may be right, I certainly admit; but when a dozen or so security experts say one thing, and a guy who chose an online name invoking fecal matter says something else with nothing to back it up...which opinion do you think carries more weight...?

Quote:
Why do you think the server world prefers not to use Microsoft SQL server and Windows Server 2008? Because it offers great security? That's a market where the OS is chosen by professionals with security in mind. Obviously nothing is completely secure but one has far more gaping holes.
Now you're in my territory, and you're wrong. SQL Server was a hot mess ages ago, absolutely. But the days of Slammer are long gone, ancient history. Only someone who does not know what he's really talking about invokes those memories as if they were still true today.

The fact is that, according to NIST (and if you don't believe NIST, you won't believe anything), SQL Server is the MOST SECURE DATABASE. You read that right. No I am not drunk or high right now. Here is a link to an article describing the findings.

But how can this be, you ask? Well, the fact is that crap like Slammer did happen, and it hurt Microsoft bad. That's when Bill Gates went all ape-crap crazy on his staff and issued that memo stating that, from now on, security is job #1 at Microsoft. That has paid dividends tremendously in SQL Server, less so in other Windows products. But speaking as an IT manager in charge of both SQL Server and Oracle deployments, I can tell you unequivocally that SQL Server patches are few and far between, whereas Oracle releases a monster list every quarter rolled into a humongous patch. (And that's insecure in and of itself...at least MS releases patches monthly, Oracle's quarterly schedule is lame.)

So, in a nutshell, you are 100% dead wrong on this point. If you don't like it, well, hate the data, don't hate the messenger.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #286 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
Why do you think the server world prefers not to use Microsoft SQL server and Windows Server 2008? Because it offers great security?
You can't be serious....
post #287 of 377
Lets face it all prebuilt desktop computers suck, everyone that is smart builds their own. If OSX worked with a computer I put together I'd try it. But this is why they failed last time, and it will be the reason they fail again. People have specialized computing needs, that is where apple loses. Ever try to integrate an Apple to a PLC or a Robot?
Main
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i2500 Biostar TH67+ HD 6850 8gb 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
OZC Vertex2 +storage Win7x64 SP1 HP SeaSonic S12II 520W 
  hide details  
Main
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i2500 Biostar TH67+ HD 6850 8gb 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
OZC Vertex2 +storage Win7x64 SP1 HP SeaSonic S12II 520W 
  hide details  
post #288 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Lets face it all prebuilt desktop computers suck, everyone that is smart builds their own. If OSX worked with a computer I put together I'd try it. But this is why they failed last time, and it will be the reason they fail again. People have specialized computing needs, that is where apple loses. Ever try to integrate an Apple to a PLC or a Robot?
Yes, custom built > prebuilt every time. But you must recognize that those of us who build our own are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the total computer market. You may as well argue that a Formula 1 race car is faster than a Toyota. So what?
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #289 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Lets face it all prebuilt desktop computers suck, everyone that is smart builds their own. If OSX worked with a computer I put together I'd try it. But this is why they failed last time, and it will be the reason they fail again. People have specialized computing needs, that is where apple loses. Ever try to integrate an Apple to a PLC or a Robot?

They do "suck" if you have acquired the need and requisite knowledge to build your own from assembled parts. I know people who buy land then build their own house on it that same person would/could argue that anyone who purchased a pre-fabbed home was lame and just doesn't get it! This is not a matter of better/worse, purist/fan-boy, right/wrong but what's best for you based on your affinity, need and budget.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
post #290 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
The point of the article is that specs don't really matter much, as does the experience of using the device nowadays. That is one of the reasons the iPhone was such a huge success. The experience of using it was much more satisfying than any other phone out in the market.

We are moving to this new world of technology where having the latest and greatest means nothing if it's not fun to use.


Yeah kind of like having the best off-road vehicle, with nothing but paved roads.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it