Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it - Page 30  

post #291 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heret|c View Post
Apple OS is a PoS for babies with huge shiny buttons or for stupid old people who can't figure out how to change their settings.

Please confirm you were either drunk or high on something when you wrote this
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Sapphire Reference 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 Samsung Blu Ray 7-64-U & XP Pro VT Dell U2410 
PowerCase
Corsair 650HX Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
post #292 of 377
I envy apple for their ability to create sheeple. their marketing is genious, and some times their build quality is superior to pre-built pcs. But none of that can compare to a custom built pc, with good antivirus.

about user accounts being administrator automatically, that hasn't been true since xp... The reason vista had all those popups asking you if you wanted to allow programs to do something, or had you run a program as administrator, was so you could say no and stop an attack. The problem is that people click allow every time, or disable uac. and you have the same problem with macs where if it asks if they want to do something they say yes all the time.

99% of viruses these days aren't made to crash your system, or corrupt your data, or anything. They are made to make money. That's why the best ones go undetected, on macs and pcs. I have seen a couple macs that have hosts file entries that redirect your browser from google ads to their ads so they get the money instead. The end user usually doesn't notice a thing, but they are making money off of it.
post #293 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd View Post
I envy apple for their ability to create sheeple. their marketing is genious, and some times their build quality is superior to pre-built pcs. But none of that can compare to a custom built pc, with good antivirus.

about user accounts being administrator automatically, that hasn't been true since xp... The reason vista had all those popups asking you if you wanted to allow programs to do something, or had you run a program as administrator, was so you could say no and stop an attack. The problem is that people click allow every time, or disable uac. and you have the same problem with macs where if it asks if they want to do something they say yes all the time.

99% of viruses these days aren't made to crash your system, or corrupt your data, or anything. They are made to make money. That's why the best ones go undetected, on macs and pcs. I have seen a couple macs that have hosts file entries that redirect your browser from google ads to their ads so they get the money instead. The end user usually doesn't notice a thing, but they are making money off of it.
Wrong, OSX does not ask yes/no for everything. It only asks for an administrator user/pass when something tries to modify system files. Which hardly ever happens outside of installing software that makes changes to the services/networking. Installing 99% of apps is as easy as extracting them into the apps directory. There's no registry/dll/ocx bull****. It's just a compressed folder that can create preferences files in the user preferences directory which is a completely harmless location.

OSX users do not need to be bothered with thousands of UAC popups for the most mundane tasks because they don't need administrator privileges to perform simple read/write in secure locations that won't harm the OS. Windows on the other hand, requires Administrator to do just about any task. Something as simple as installing a browser, should not need administrator access. But on windows, it needs to write to the registry and use svchost among other things.
post #294 of 377
I have macs and PCs, and fix macs and PCs for a living... I know what they ask for and what they don't lol. It's still the same problem where non computer savvy people will allow any program that asks for permissions, because they don't know any better. Also as stated before the apple user space is more than enough for someone to steal your bank, credit, and other personal information. The security of not having a registry helps protect against malicious programs that are trying to harm your computer, but that's a very small percentage of the security issues (although they are the ones that people realize that they have because the symptoms are prevalent). The viruses people should be worried about, are the ones they don't know they have.

Also windows 7's uac is a big step forward in what it has to ask for admin privileges and what it doesn't.
post #295 of 377
Apple doesn't rely just on marketing and specs. People who sell soap, sneakers and vodka rely on marketing only.

Apple has a different product. You're kidding yourself if you think technology like mac os x, ios, quicktime, and all the hardware and user interface design is just handed to Apple from god, who then exploits the sheeple into buying it.
Edited by hellonwheelz - 3/13/11 at 11:26am
post #296 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Yes, custom built > prebuilt every time. But you must recognize that those of us who build our own are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the total computer market. You may as well argue that a Formula 1 race car is faster than a Toyota. So what?
Custom builds suck in some ways. build me a mac mini, or a ipad2 (haha, kidding) please. You. can't. do. it.

It will be bigger, or slower, or missing features. And it won't have a cnc milled case. Just like you can't build a watch, or program a computer from scratch, no OS. It's great to put together a bunch of parts, but that's assembling a computer, please don't pretend that we have infinite choices when you go custom built.
post #297 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz View Post
Custom builds suck in some ways. build me a mac mini, or a ipad2 (haha, kidding) please. You. can't. do. it.

It will be bigger, or slower, or missing features. And it won't have a cnc milled case. Just like you can't build a watch, or program a computer from scratch, no OS. It's great to put together a bunch of parts, but that's assembling a computer, please don't pretend that we have infinite choices when you go custom built.
Provided you have the tools, a CNC milled case is entirely possible.
post #298 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz View Post
Apple doesn't rely just on marketing and specs. People who sell soap, sneakers and vodka rely on marketing only.

Apple has a different product. You're kidding yourself if you think technology like mac os x, ios, quicktime, and all the hardware and user interface design is just handed to Apple from god, who then exploits the sheeple into buying it.
well put +1
post #299 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Provided you have the tools, a CNC milled case is entirely possible.
Absolutely, but are you how are you going to build the motherboard and discrete graphics for the size envelope?
post #300 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz View Post
Absolutely, but are you how are you going to build the motherboard and discrete graphics for the size envelope?
P55 Mini-ITX with a half-height video card should do it. It's impractical and the Mac Mini would probably be cheaper, just saying it can be done, though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ENG]It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it