Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [EA] Dragon Age 2 Commercial (2 more 9/10 reviews)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EA] Dragon Age 2 Commercial (2 more 9/10 reviews) - Page 5

post #41 of 91
I am hoping this game is great, already pre-loaded. The demo was such garbage I honestly do not understand why they released it.
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastyn99 View Post
No, not everyone hated the demo. But only the people who did hate it went online to whine about it. You would see ten times as many "Dragon Age 2 FTW!" threads if everyone who enjoyed it felt the need to post about it. But guess what, we're too busy playing it ! Everyone I know who played the demo absolutely loved it. TBH, I think most people who are hating the demo is only doing so because it isnt DA:O. Ive said it before, and Ill say it again: Why does a game have to be overly complicated and difficult for some people to enjoy it ? Often the most simply ideas are the best ones *coughminecraftcough*
It's anti-intellectual attitudes like yours that are destroying everything that begins as something semi-worth while.
Bernard
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.71 Ghz | 1.17v Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX 580 Corsair Dominators GTX 6gb 1925MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb C300 SATA 6 Gb/s, 2 x 320 Gb F4's RAID 0 ASUS 24x -_- Windows 7 Home(Who needs ultimate?!) ASUS VH226H 21.5 Inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000 + Custom Sleeving NZXT Tempest Evo Razer Naga NONE 
  hide details  
Reply
Bernard
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.71 Ghz | 1.17v Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX 580 Corsair Dominators GTX 6gb 1925MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb C300 SATA 6 Gb/s, 2 x 320 Gb F4's RAID 0 ASUS 24x -_- Windows 7 Home(Who needs ultimate?!) ASUS VH226H 21.5 Inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000 + Custom Sleeving NZXT Tempest Evo Razer Naga NONE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolart View Post
I got it for $37.07 at Direct2Drive. For some reason they let me apply a 20% coupon after I got my 15% discount for being a FilePlanet subscriber.

If you use coupon code "burnout" you get 20% off. Brings the price down to $47 or something like that.

http://www.direct2drive.com/
Lucky, I was only able to use one promotional code so only 20% off for me
FOR SALE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Asus P7P55D Pro XFX Radeon 5770 4GB G-Skill DDR3 1600 Cas 7 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 500GB Windows 7 Ulitimate 64 24" Samsung P2450D OCZ Modxstream Pro 700W Modular 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Lancool K62 Logitech G500 OCZ Behemoth 
  hide details  
Reply
FOR SALE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Asus P7P55D Pro XFX Radeon 5770 4GB G-Skill DDR3 1600 Cas 7 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 500GB Windows 7 Ulitimate 64 24" Samsung P2450D OCZ Modxstream Pro 700W Modular 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Lancool K62 Logitech G500 OCZ Behemoth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razultull View Post
It's anti-intellectual attitudes like yours that are destroying everything that begins as something semi-worth while.
He is so completely correct though. If you really read the whiners posts they have no real substance / fact.
OldBoy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock P67 Extreme6 Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 SSD Seagate Momentus XT Western Digital 7200 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x22" Acer Saitek Cyborg SeaSonic X-Series 750W Gold Corsair 500R White 
Mouse
Logitech M700 
  hide details  
Reply
OldBoy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock P67 Extreme6 Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 SSD Seagate Momentus XT Western Digital 7200 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x22" Acer Saitek Cyborg SeaSonic X-Series 750W Gold Corsair 500R White 
Mouse
Logitech M700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korlus View Post
In Japanese culture, it was not entirely unusual to have swords between 65-70 inches (~1.8m) in total length.

While an Ōdachi was not commonly used in the later periods of Japanese warfare, when combat was often done in open fields, it's believed that they were used both on horseback and on foot.


The idea behind creating a sword is either:
- To make it light enough to wield easily.
- To make it heavy enough to damage someone wearing armour.

If you're going to use a sword in a single hand, you want the first. If you're going to use it in two, you want more of the second.
(obviously, you want a mix of both at all times. Don't get me wrong...)

If you can put two hands into the swing of a sword, you instantly have more force, and the longer it is, the more (turning) force you impart, treating it almost as a lever - as the far end will swing faster (think of it as if it were a wheel, where the outside spins faster than the inside).

Basically, if you can still swing it, longer is generally better. The more distance between hands would also allow you to potentially impart more force by using one hand as a fulcrum (pivot) to give more weight to the strength of the other - potentially making the use of a weaker left hand palatable to someone unused to swinging something so heavy.



... The problem with all of that is that you must factor in the character's real strength, and games often go overboard with just how long a sword a person can carry. If you are going to get truly worn out swinging it, for most military purposes, it would have been useless. Battles often lasted twelve hours, and if you couldn't fight solidly for at least six swinging it almost constantly, you were not going to be a very good infantryman.
Thank you for that Knowledgeable piece of information
Titanus
(12 items)
 
LS-FX2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 970A-G46 (MS-7693) AMD R9 290 G.Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Yes 24 Stock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional Gs90 series Microsoft sidewinder Tx750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza solano 1000 Logitech G500 Starcraft 2 "Zerg Rush" mousepad 2.1 "average" system 
Other
Blue Yeti Microphone 
GraphicsMonitorKeyboardCase
gt 320 13 inch built-in apple alluminum unibody 
Mouse
apple trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
Titanus
(12 items)
 
LS-FX2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 970A-G46 (MS-7693) AMD R9 290 G.Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Yes 24 Stock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional Gs90 series Microsoft sidewinder Tx750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza solano 1000 Logitech G500 Starcraft 2 "Zerg Rush" mousepad 2.1 "average" system 
Other
Blue Yeti Microphone 
GraphicsMonitorKeyboardCase
gt 320 13 inch built-in apple alluminum unibody 
Mouse
apple trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korlus View Post
In Japanese culture, it was not entirely unusual to have swords between 65-70 inches (~1.8m) in total length.

While an Ōdachi was not commonly used in the later periods of Japanese warfare, when combat was often done in open fields, it's believed that they were used both on horseback and on foot.


The idea behind creating a sword is either:
- To make it light enough to wield easily.
- To make it heavy enough to damage someone wearing armour.

If you're going to use a sword in a single hand, you want the first. If you're going to use it in two, you want more of the second.
(obviously, you want a mix of both at all times. Don't get me wrong...)

If you can put two hands into the swing of a sword, you instantly have more force, and the longer it is, the more (turning) force you impart, treating it almost as a lever - as the far end will swing faster (think of it as if it were a wheel, where the outside spins faster than the inside).

Basically, if you can still swing it, longer is generally better. The more distance between hands would also allow you to potentially impart more force by using one hand as a fulcrum (pivot) to give more weight to the strength of the other - potentially making the use of a weaker left hand palatable to someone unused to swinging something so heavy.



... The problem with all of that is that you must factor in the character's real strength, and games often go overboard with just how long a sword a person can carry. If you are going to get truly worn out swinging it, for most military purposes, it would have been useless. Battles often lasted twelve hours, and if you couldn't fight solidly for at least six swinging it almost constantly, you were not going to be a very good infantryman.
the huge weapons were not used gracefully though, they were designed to be heavy brute force weapons, the stuff you see being done in the game with uppercuts with the sword and other various attacks show that you can wield a 12 foot long sword like its a nerf bat. When in reality the stuff he is doing with the sword is not possible, and is something you would see being done with a simple long sword.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolart View Post
He is so completely correct though. If you really read the whiners posts they have no real substance / fact.
Hmmm, I somehow doubt that...

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/95...l#post12559667

Why call others whiners if they have legitimate complaints that they willingly back up? Or have you been selectively reading?
Quote:
No, not everyone hated the demo. But only the people who did hate it went online to whine about it. You would see ten times as many "Dragon Age 2 FTW!" threads if everyone who enjoyed it felt the need to post about it. But guess what, we're too busy playing it !
No offense, but what demo are you playing? There was, at best, an hour's worth of play... It's not like the demo had a branching narrative that allowed for multiple playthroughs, resultant of actual C&C(choices and consequences).

Worse than the whiners, I would say, are the rabid supporters that take great personal offense when another voices his/her opinion(s)... Can you honestly argue the game wasn't streamlined? If so, put your best case forward. I'd gladly engage in civil discourse. \\

-EDIT- Clarification:

I'm not picking on anyone in particular, merely pointing out(albeit indirectly) that substituting one generalization for another is not inherently better...
Edited by MasterKromm - 3/6/11 at 3:38pm
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razultull View Post
It's anti-intellectual attitudes like yours that are destroying everything that begins as something semi-worth while.
How exactly does my post show me as having an anti-intellectual attitude. I belive what I said was, only the haters post about it and therefor it gives some people the impression that its a bad game. That some people might be dismissing this game without even trying to like it just because it isnt 100% like DA:O. And that a game does not have to be very complicated and difficult to be good and sometimes simpler ideas are better ( Occams Razor anyone ? ). I did not state that I find DA:O to be too complicated or difficult or that I want DA2 to be a mindless hack and slash game. I enjoy DA:O a lot, I have just spend the entire day playing it, and I feel that DA2's gameplay, based on what I saw in the demo, is very similar to DA:O only faster paced, which for some people apparantly is a bad thing, but for me its a good thing. The reason for my last statement is that everyone seems to be on about how DA2 is dumbed down (which I dont think it is at all, its streamlined which in no way takes away any of its depth) almost like they want games where they have to spend hours just reading about how to play the game before they can even get started on the simplest quest.

If you read my comment thoroughly and as I intended it to be read, you will see that I am not picking on DA:O or DA2, but rather on the people who are not even giving DA2 a chance, which I think is sad, because I am absolutely possitive that it is going to be a great experience, if not just for the story alone.

So how is my comment anti-intellectual ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post

No offense, but what demo are you playing? There was, at best, an hour's worth of play... It's not like the demo had a branching narrative that allowed for multiple playthroughs, resultant of actual C&C(choices and consequences).

Worse than the whiners, I would say, are the rabid supporters that take great personal offense when another voices his/her opinion(s)... Can you honestly argue the game wasn't streamlined? If so, put your best case forward. I'd gladly engage in civil discourse. \\

-EDIT- Clarification:

I'm not picking on anyone in particular, merely pointing out(albeit indirectly) that substituting one generalization for another is not inherently better...
Silly you, of course I havent been playing the demo over and over for a week, you know what I mean.
And I dont take great personal offense when I see people saying they dont like the demo, but you want to try and change peoples mind when you know you're right. You're doing it aswell. Why else would any of us be replying to threads like this ? I dont think any of us would simply just say "I disagree" and then leave it at that. It annoys us when other people think differently than we do and we want to make people belive what we belive, its just human nature I believe. And what is glorious about the internet is that you can do this without any consequences.
And lastly, no, I cant honestly argue that the game (you are referring to the DA2 demo yes) wasnt streamlined, becuase I think it was, and I like that. It doesnt make the game worse, only different.
Edited by Bastyn99 - 3/6/11 at 3:59pm
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Ye Olde PC
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500 GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB NZXT Kraken X60 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311h Steelseries G6v2 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W CM HAF-X 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
Hmmm, I somehow doubt that...

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/95...l#post12559667

Why call others whiners if they have legitimate complaints that they willingly back up? Or have you been selectively reading?
No offense, but what demo are you playing? There was, at best, an hour's worth of play... It's not like the demo had a branching narrative that allowed for multiple playthroughs, resultant of actual C&C(choices and consequences).

Worse than the whiners, I would say, are the rabid supporters that take great personal offense when another voices his/her opinion(s)... Can you honestly argue the game wasn't streamlined? If so, put your best case forward. I'd gladly engage in civil discourse.
Alright you want to do this? Here we go.

Argument #1: The game is dumbed down.

Fact: The game has definitely been streamlined and a lot of the awesome things that made Dragon Age: Origins a great game have been removed. Tactical zoom has been removed from the PC version. Skills have been combined with stats and abilities. The game is easier on normal than DA: O. The depth of classes / races has been restricted quite a bit over DA: O.

Opinions: Combining lock picking with your level of Cunning for example is not really a bad thing. While it does take away some depth while building your character it still requires you to place points where they need to be to develop your character the way you want. Excerpt from the official manual:

Quote:
Cunning also determines a rogue’s aptitude for picking locks and disarming traps, with difficulty thresholds set at 10, 20, 30, and 40 points.
Class specializations are still in based on the manual:
Quote:
With each new level, a character gains three attribute points and one ability point. At levels seven and 14, Hawke alone gains a specialization point (see p. 14).
The removal of complete zoom out is annoying but not deal breaking.

Combining abilities into groups is logical and I see nothing wrong with it.

The removal of the different race origins is a bummer, but does not ruin this game as it is. Building your player like Mass Effect and having a story that is very specific to your character is nice. You feel like a much more detailed character that has a real purpose instead of random hero #443. It gives the writers much more ability to create a real background / story that you can influence. Also, the fact that you are going to span a long amount of history developing your character and being able to see the influence of choices you made 2 or 5 or 10 years previously, is very cool and very well thought out. It will make play throughs even more unique because it changes the city / politics around you.

I don't like that they have reduced the world to one city. I will have to see how that plays out.


Argument #2: The game is too easy

Fact: The game is easier on normal mode than DA: O was on normal. If you watch the video from yesterday Here you will clearly hear and see the game as a whole is not too easy.

Hard difficulty is much like normal on DA: O. You must think tactically and use your whole party to survive most of the fights. Nightmare on the other hand is freaking insane and while anyone who thinks this game is too easy with an insane challenge. Positioning, item use, ability use, resistances all are very very much a part of the game on hard and nightmare. These are all detailed in the official manual. If someone comes back with well I shouldn't have to change the difficulty. That is just childish and silly.


Argument#3: The graphics are crap

Opinion: Based on what??! I would assume these people are not talking about compared to DA : O. Maybe they are talking about compared to Crysis? Maybe they are talking about the PS3, which IMO who gives a crap. Learn to game on PC. The graphics are not substantially better but they are better.

Fact:

DA: O:



DA2:



DA: O:



DA2:



DA: O:



DA2:



Argument#4: The game is linear

Fact: Watch the video I linked and you will see this is not the case. You have tons of open world freedom and huge areas to fight in such as the dragon in the video.

Argument#5: It's just hack & slash

Fact: Only if you choose for it to be and play on easy / normal or console.

Argument#6: DA2 is a console game

Fact: Only PC will get the high-def textures pack. Only PC will have the option to have a toolkit (possibility / not confirmed yet).

Opinion: PC version was designed for the keyboard / mouse and I've got no issues with the controls. It is not a generic port...watch the video I linked above they discuss this. In fact the ability to have more than a few abilities mapped is key. Also, the ability to pause and move my view around to select targets for spells is also key to the PC experience.

Argument#7: Limited armor options

Opinion: The fact that they removed armor for companions is disappointing but inventory wise it isn't terrible. Cleans up your crap and keeps you focused on the best gear for your character and sell the rest.

Fact: In the video I linked. They not only mention more types of armor but also much more varied appearance. They clearly state that they are adding more diversity than the first to show more progression. They mainly mentioned rogues and mages with this because those 2 looked pretty much the same all through DA: O.



Call me fan boy all you want but I've watched the videos and played the demo multiple times. I understand why you people are angry. DA: O was one of the most amazing and well designed cRPGs of all-time IMO. That does not make DA2 a bad game. Maybe a bad sequel but overall the improvements make this a very solid and exceptional looking cRPG. I believe the story will be epic, but I think Bioware always does great on this. I am disappointed about aspects of DA2 but as a whole I think it will be great.
OldBoy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock P67 Extreme6 Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 SSD Seagate Momentus XT Western Digital 7200 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x22" Acer Saitek Cyborg SeaSonic X-Series 750W Gold Corsair 500R White 
Mouse
Logitech M700 
  hide details  
Reply
OldBoy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock P67 Extreme6 Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 SSD Seagate Momentus XT Western Digital 7200 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x22" Acer Saitek Cyborg SeaSonic X-Series 750W Gold Corsair 500R White 
Mouse
Logitech M700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 91
Actually, I have no intention of changing opinions... Which is why I mentioned civil discourse. I would genuinely like to know what others found appealing about DA2(less so with demo and more so with the game when it's out).

-EDIT-

Typing my response to evolart.
Quote:
Argument #1: The game is dumbed down.


Opinions: Combining lock picking with your level of Cunning for example is not really a bad thing. While it does take away some depth while building your character it still requires you to place points where they need to be to develop your character the way you want.
I disagree, while the skill system in DA:O was poorly conceived and/or implemented, that is hardly reason enough to remove it. In DAO lock picking was both a function of cunning and it's corresponding talent(which should have been a skill). The equation was something along the lines of: cunning-10+(deft hands level * 10). So even in DA:O a character with 60 cunning and 0 in the lock picking talent could still open all locks... That makes very little sense much like what's going on in DA2(unless we are to use our imagination and assume the PC learned the basics of lock picking early on, even then a basic lock is nothing like an advanced lock). It's like assuming an incredible athlete will be competitive in a sport he has zero training in... I disliked certain game mechanics or how they were implemented in DA:O. IMHO, it would have been more believable if skills were acquired or at a minimum advanced through trainers(EG Gothic).

Quote:
The removal of the different race origins is a bummer, but does not ruin this game as it is. Building your player like Mass Effect and having a story that is very specific to your character is nice. You feel like a much more detailed character that has a real purpose instead of random hero #443. It gives the writers much more ability to create a real background / story that you can influence. Also, the fact that you are going to span a long amount of history developing your character and being able to see the influence of choices you made 2 or 5 or 10 years previously, is very cool and very well thought out. It will make play throughs even more unique because it changes the city / politics around you.

I don't like that they have reduced the world to one city. I will have to see how that plays out.
True, the removal of races does not necessarily ruin the game... My main beef with a voiced/fixed protagonist can be described as follows:

It kills immersion for me. Yes, I know I'm not actually playing me. But the illusion that I am and the ability to make major decisions/control destiny for myself add to my own immersion or Role playing(if the voice is nothing like what you envision well that doesn't help things either)... When a fixed/voiced protagonist is implemented it can create a tight, if not linear, experience. But you are not that character, you are at best giving this character suggestions - that tiny voice inside his/her head... I realize not all games allow for character creation, TW and it's protagonist Geralt is an example of a game that was enjoyable for me despite my inability to relate to the PC. It's not that a fixed protagonist is intrinsically bad, but it is limiting(some might say focused/tighter) and it was not a core mechanic in the original game... You could argue that ultimately you are still playing the PC bioware created/intended you play, but at least DA:Os approach granted the illusion of ownership(IE you can reasonably play as the character you have created).
Quote:
Argument #2: The game is too easy

Hard difficulty is much like normal on DA: O. You must think tactically and use your whole party to survive most of the fights. Nightmare on the other hand is freaking insane and while anyone who thinks this game is too easy with an insane challenge. Positioning, item use, ability use, resistances all are very very much a part of the game on hard and nightmare. These are all detailed in the official manual. If someone comes back with well I shouldn't have to change the difficulty. That is just childish and silly.
First things first, even the original game implemented friendly fire on normal difficulty setting(50% dmg)... So you couldn't go spamming spells all willy nilly. Comparatively speaking, DA2's combat has become too fast to be tactical, that is why FF damage has been relegated to nightmare setting only.

For me the speed boost would have been less of a drag if it meant trash mobs dropped faster, but it seems they've boosted their HP to adjust for the increased attack speeds. Lovely... Also worth noting, ability cooldowns seem to have been reduced, which(IMO) also reduces the need or desire to use tactics.

Positioning,

Backstabbing is a new teleportation technique, apparently positioning one's rogue and actually inflicting what would logically be a back stab was too difficult to understand, so it was streamlined.

item use, ability use, resistances,

Haven't seen/heard enough of the game to comment in a fair manner.

Quote:
Argument#3: The graphics are crap

Opinion: Based on what??! I would assume these people are not talking about compared to DA : O. Maybe they are talking about compared to Crysis? Maybe they are talking about the PS3, which IMO who gives a crap. Learn to game on PC. The graphics are not substantially better but they are better.
I never said the graphics were crap, I said the new art direction broke continuity, was sophomoric and too cartoonish...

-The darkspawn, despite the new art direction, still all look the same… As if they're clones. Which might have been plausible if there were only one broodmother per the various species/races producing them. Then there's the armor, how is it that their armor is identical if the scavenge a good bit of it? Could Bioware not have added at least some variety?

-Flemeth and Isabella are far too different from the DA counterparts. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but you would expect Flemeth(and Isabella) to appear the same considering the events between the demo and DA:O overlap. Still at least you could argue for the Flemeth change up that she's a really advanced shape shifter, able to take the form of a busty firm bodied octogenarian.

-Much of the new art direction is over the top and pandering to a certain audience(you know, the ones that still giggle at the sight of boobies)... Why did all female characters have to be "enhanced"?

Quote:
Argument#4: The game is linear

Fact: Watch the video I linked and you will see this is not the case. You have tons of open world freedom and huge areas to fight in such as the dragon in the video.
I've only played the demo, but it was linear as "all roads lead to Rome"... Dialogue showed no branching; often times all three Hawke responses generated the same outcome/response - the illusion of c&c hasn't really been kept or even expanded, at least as far as I've seen. The areas in the demo were corridor like and/or small. Hopefully that isn't the case for a majority of the game... I'll wait and see what people have to say about the plot/narrative, but if it is branching I would truly be surprised. A lot of the interactions in DA:O had more than one outcome. *Spoiler warning* The Dalish encounter allowed for the PC to side with either them or the werewolves or even convince the werewolves to attack the dalish camp.

A place were C&C was completely overlooked and the potential untapped in DA:O would have been the end to the sacred urns quest... Ultimately, whether you save or destroy the urn you have to take a pinch of ashes to the arl. But what if Bioware had allowed you to instead destroy the ashes and empower the cultists/dragon and use them in place of the Arl? It would have been an amazing choice and could have been tied into the game without too much effort(Bann teagan takes over for his bro yadda yadda).

Quote:
Argument#5: It's just hack & slash

Fact: Only if you choose for it to be and play on easy / normal or console.
The above is an opinion... I'll withhold my own judgment until I've read proper reviews(most notably Brother None over at Gamebanshee, as his tastes/views tend to be in line with my own).

Quote:
Argument#6: DA2 is a console game

Fact: Only PC will get the high-def textures pack. Only PC will have the option to have a toolkit (possibility / not confirmed yet).

Opinion: PC version was designed for the keyboard / mouse and I've got no issues with the controls. It is not a generic port...watch the video I linked above they discuss this. In fact the ability to have more than a few abilities mapped is key. Also, the ability to pause and move my view around to select targets for spells is also key to the PC experience.
It is not exclusively console... But it was designed first and foremost for the console market, where as the reverse was true for DA:O(which is why it felt clunky and awkward on consoles). Consolitis has more to do with streamlining of core gameplay mechanics than it does with Textures, but that's just me.

Quote:
Call me fan boy all you want but I've watched the videos and played the demo multiple times.
You're not automatically a fan boy for liking DA2... Different strokes for different folks.
Edited by MasterKromm - 3/6/11 at 5:40pm
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [EA] Dragon Age 2 Commercial (2 more 9/10 reviews)