Overclock.net banner

Should I upgrade my HD4650?

757 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  iTravis 
#1 ·
I've been using the HD4650 for almost 2 years and I don't know whether I should upgrade to a better one like a current gen GPU. Will I enjoy any benefits over my current card like better image quality or smoother high-def content playback, etc...?
I just use my HTPC strictly for playing blu ray movies so I only need a card that can give me the best video playback possible.
Any thoughts and suggestions?

#3 ·
no point in upgrading.

• Rep+
Reactions: iTravis
#5 ·
I have it hook up to my 42" 3D Plasma Panny via HDMI. I'm using a dual core AMD Athlon 6000+ 3.0Ghz since as mentioned in the first post I only use it for video playback so I don't need anything that is powerful. I'm just wondering if I get any benefits if I upgrade my card.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTravis
View Post

like better image quality or smoother high-def content playback, etc...?

No the only benefits for an HTPC you could possibly get by upgrading is lower power consumption or less noise (passive cooling). You should probably stick with what you have.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTravis
View Post

I have it hook up to my 42" 3D Plasma Panny via HDMI. I'm using a dual core AMD Athlon 6000+ 3.0Ghz since as mentioned in the first post I only use it for video playback so I don't need anything that is powerful. I'm just wondering if I get any benefits if I upgrade my card.

unless you have 3d I guess its not needed?-!-.-

• Rep+
#8 ·
The only card I would say upgrading to would be worth anything is the 5550 and even that wouldn't be much. It would save on the electric bill and that's pretty much it.

• Rep+
#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hick
View Post

None of you mention that the 5xxx/6xxx card support bitstreaming dtshd and dolby truehd if that matters to the op.

He didn't mention that it's a required function and that he desperately needs it.

If you don't need any of the latest tech, why bother upgrading? Noise / heat would be the biggest concerns, if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket I'd upgrade your CPU/Mobo.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

He didn't mention that it's a required function and that he desperately needs it.

If you don't need any of the latest tech, why bother upgrading? Noise / heat would be the biggest concerns, if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket I'd upgrade your CPU/Mobo.

He asked what improvements there are for new cards and didnt say he required anything so maybe nobody should have replied according to your logic.Its not like I said GET A 5XXX CARD NOW!! And yes the 5550 would be less power and likely quieter.

I do agree with you, I still have a 3450 in one of my HTPC's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.