Overclock.net banner

[vozforums] Llano vs Sandy Bridge

6K views 46 replies 33 participants last post by  purpleannex 
#1 ·
  • Rep+
Reactions: Malisk
#3 ·
Certainly an interesting read, hints at smart marketing by AMD. Not all of us are OCN users that hog x86, most of us don't even know anything about computers and just like using them. Makes lots of sense, indeed
smile.gif

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12633974
Certainly an interesting read, hints at smart marketing by AMD. Not all of us are OCN users that hog x86, most of us don't even know anything about computers and just like using them. Makes lots of sense, indeed
smile.gif
Not entirely relevant to the article, but this is why Apple's marketing does so well.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12633974
smile.gif
They gave up on beating Intel at processing power, instead they're hoping to beat them at integrated graphics.

I can see that happening, but meh. This is why you buy laptops with discrete graphics cards.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kand;12633917
llano11.jpg

No surprise here. Intel's GPU is about the equivalent of an 8500GT. LLano's on 5650. Though, I like how they havent included charts for CPU intensive apps, eg. encoding.
That's because it is a gaming comparison...

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hy3RiD;12634027
That's because it is a gaming comparison...
Yes? Did you look through the leaked slides? I dont see any examples of their Llano processor against the 2630QM in CPU stress tests.

Yes the APU is better, but is the CPU better?

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kand;12634016
They gave up on beating Intel at processing power, instead they're hoping to beat them at integrated graphics.

I can see that happening, but meh. This is why you buy laptops with discrete graphics cards.
This is what they're doing with the mainstream platforms, but I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is what's going to happen when Bulldozer CPUs come out.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;12634075
This is what they're doing with the mainstream platforms, but I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is what's going to happen when Bulldozer CPUs come out.
Arent they just recycling the Phenom II architecture again with Llano? Strapping an IGP on it?

#11 ·
They will be using a 32nm Phenom II architecture, yes. But honestly, marketing to ~70% of PC users out there isn't about the pursuit of CPU performance. They're right.

#12 ·
Quote:

Isn't this why you won't have to buy laptops with discrete graphics cards in the future?

sort of circular of you but anyway, the future is looking good.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt;12634158
Isn't this why you won't have to buy laptops with discrete graphics cards in the future?

sort of circular of you but anyway, the future is looking good.
Not until they solder the next-gen equivalent of a GTX485M/6970M on with the CPU, nope. I'd imagine there to be some concerns regarding heat there, but if it's possible, then it is. :I

#14 ·
Bulldozer architecture is new and Fusion integrated graphics architecture is new, it makes sense they didn't want to combine both and risk too many unknowns so Bulldozer seems to be coming as CPU cores only whereas the Fusion integrated graphics is combined with the old but tested Phenom II CPU cores. The next iteration of Fusion chips will probably be Bulldozer + good integrated graphics. Still, people that want better integrated graphics probably aren't too picky with raw CPU power.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kand;12634168
Not until they solder the next-gen equivalent of a GTX485M/6970M on with the CPU, nope. I'd imagine there to be some concerns regarding heat there, but if it's possible, then it is. :I
There's no demand for that. A vast percentage of all laptops sold don't need more than Llano's GPU's processing power.

#16 ·
I got a Radeon 3870 in my laptop, and a decent CPU, but let me tell you, discrete graphics are HOT. My CPU is nice and cool, but my GPU is roasting my leg. Thank you AMD for alleviating this problem on my next laptop.

#18 ·
For all the people who want to see CPU benchmarks. If you can't use it, why bother? I mean honestly, yean Intel will win that war. The problem is, what applications are going to be strictly CPU intense and fill an average user market? Nothing, most applications now can benefit from a better GPU setup.

As for the Discrete graphics? Good luck having mobile battery life.

#19 ·
I am starting to think that it is a waste of time to post these llano articles on OCN. Everytime people say the same things... "of course Intel's GPUs suck", "where are the encoding benchmarks", "AMD has given up on x86 performance", etc.

Sigh.
frown.gif
Not everything is about us. Not everybody needs or wants the fastest CPU. You do realize that Intel's GPUs poor performance is BAD for mainstream customers, that 70% of people don't know encoding from rendering from compiling, and that CPU wise BULLDOZER will compete with Sandy Bridge. AMD is trying to bring more to the people who are never going spend a ton on detected GPU laptops. There IS a lot of money to be made there even if nobody on this site plans to use a llano based gaming rig.

I am not going to say fanboy, but people have to think this through a little before just saying ... "derp, where the cinebench."

#20 ·
As JCPUser said.

-Most people don't give a crap about some vantage score or CPU benchmark and didn't even know what I just said is.
-95% of the people who buy laptops do simple things that a 32nm Athlon IIx4 or even a x2 can handle with ease.
- You'd be surprised how many people try to game on laptops and complain about their games lagging, I'm happy laptops will finally have decent GPU power.
-Nothing more annoying than buying a laptop and find it lags when playing videos.
-Better power improvement meaning better battery life

#21 ·
I'm excited by this. Imagine the desktop version of this. PC gaming will be much more accessible for people, thus a boom in PC gaming. It can only benefit us all in the end.

Honestly unless you're encoding, rendering, or doing any 3d work, you wouldn't care about something like this and instead would go for something that has muscle on the CPU end. That's not with these are for though.

This is also most likely the kind of chip we'll see in the next-gen consoles.

#22 ·
Quote:

exactly. Llano only seems relevant for netbooks. Why would you buy a laptop without discrete graphics? I just hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with Bulldozer.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa;12639645
exactly. Llano only seems relevant for netbooks. Why would you buy a laptop without discrete graphics? I just hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with Bulldozer.
I would prefer a notebook without discrete graphics and lower power consumption. That means more battery life. I don't use my notebook for number crunching or intense gaming though.

#24 ·
I'm typing on a netbook that can't even deliver 1fps in Minecraft, but gets 7 hours surfing OCN. This is a welcome for me, a tiny notebook that isn't hindered by CPU/GPU power, yet still gets good battery life. As long as it's capable of playing back 1080p without stutter, and can stay running for more then 3~ hours, it's a winner in my book, especially when it weighs just a few pounds
smile.gif

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa;12639645
Somehow... I think many more people buy laptops without dedicated GPUs
rolleyes.gif

Also, don't worry about bulldozer. As llano is only Phenom on 32mn plus a GPU -- the only similarity to bulldozer is the AMD logo on the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.