Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Upgrade Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade Suggestions

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
My Current System:

Motherboard - MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU - AMD 955 Black Edition @ stock 3.2GHz with stock cooler
RAM - Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3
Video Card - 2 XFX 4890's in crossfire
Power Supply - Corsair 850W

I am getting ready to do a few upgrades to my system. My frame rates in many of the newer games (Rift, Metro 2033, Bad Company 2, etc.) have been suffering. I am considering switching from an ATI card to an Nvidia card. I have been doing some reading and research and am thinking of going with a GTX 570. My problem is I cannot decide on which model I should go with. I have been looking at the Palit Sonic Platinum which comes overclocked ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-097-_-Product ). I don't have much experience with Nvidia cards and don't know how Palit stands up to some of the other brands. Also with the rumors of the GTX 590 coming later this month should I be waiting for it to come out and see if the price will drop on the GTX 570's? If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!
post #2 of 8
Bad frame rate with 2 4890's? That doesn't seem right... 2 4890's perform better than 2 HD5770... What kind of frame rates are you getting? And those you have running in DX10 I'm assuming so something else must be wrong.
My System
(13 items)
 
Ivy Bridge
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6600 @ 3.71ghz | q6600 @ 3.8ghz P5N-E Sli | P5Q XFX HD5770 | HD5850 6gb G.Skill (900mhz) | 4gb Patriot (1000mhz) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
750gb Caviar Black | 2x120gb Raid 0 Windows 7 64bit Home 2x Acer H233H | Acer P244W Microsoft x4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rocketfish 550w x2 Thermaltake V3 | Haf 912 Razer Abyssus Steel Series 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Asus Maximus V Gene Sapphire HD6950 unlocked to HD6970 16gb RipJawsX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 1TB Western Digital Green Sata III Corsair H80 Windows 7 
PowerCase
Corsair HX650 CM Storm Enforcer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
Ivy Bridge
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6600 @ 3.71ghz | q6600 @ 3.8ghz P5N-E Sli | P5Q XFX HD5770 | HD5850 6gb G.Skill (900mhz) | 4gb Patriot (1000mhz) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
750gb Caviar Black | 2x120gb Raid 0 Windows 7 64bit Home 2x Acer H233H | Acer P244W Microsoft x4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rocketfish 550w x2 Thermaltake V3 | Haf 912 Razer Abyssus Steel Series 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Asus Maximus V Gene Sapphire HD6950 unlocked to HD6970 16gb RipJawsX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 1TB Western Digital Green Sata III Corsair H80 Windows 7 
PowerCase
Corsair HX650 CM Storm Enforcer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
CF 4890 = SLI GTX285 (it just can't be a low fps rig), you should do a light OC on your 955.(3.6Ghz)
use a fps-meter ( fraps), and compare before and after the over.
might be ( 10% chance) a cpu bottleneck
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 960 @3.8Ghz 1.16Vcore Asus P6X58D-E SLI GTX470 PNY XLR8 Edition 3 X 2GB Ballistix Tracer 1454Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X 1TB Barracuda Sata II 32MB Bluray writer Win 7 X64 Ultimate SyncMaster 2232BW 22'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft wireless 5000 GameXtream 850W NZXT Lexa Black (aluminium) Microsoft wireless 5000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 960 @3.8Ghz 1.16Vcore Asus P6X58D-E SLI GTX470 PNY XLR8 Edition 3 X 2GB Ballistix Tracer 1454Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X 1TB Barracuda Sata II 32MB Bluray writer Win 7 X64 Ultimate SyncMaster 2232BW 22'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft wireless 5000 GameXtream 850W NZXT Lexa Black (aluminium) Microsoft wireless 5000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Ya I was try doing some Overclocking to your processor before you go jumping off that rid, 4890's are pretty damn powerful GPU's, Roughly equal to a 6850/70? not 100% sure.

I'd imagine your experiencing a CPU bottleneck, get a decent air cooler or a H50 and crank it to 3.8-4Ghz, and or just for now to see if were working in the right direction.

Do a crank up to 3.4 ghz which you should be able to do without touching the voltage.
Aggrotech
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Gigabyte x370 Gaming-k7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB (2x8gb)Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600mhzC16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue 240gb Kingston SSDnow V300 x2 420mm Custom EK Loop Windows 10 64bit Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Samsung TV + 23" Dell pro series Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 Bequiet Dark base 900 pro 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G602 Dell XPS Sennheiser GAME ZER0 
  hide details  
Reply
Aggrotech
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Gigabyte x370 Gaming-k7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB (2x8gb)Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600mhzC16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue 240gb Kingston SSDnow V300 x2 420mm Custom EK Loop Windows 10 64bit Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Samsung TV + 23" Dell pro series Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 Bequiet Dark base 900 pro 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G602 Dell XPS Sennheiser GAME ZER0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackedh View Post
My Current System:

Motherboard - MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU - AMD 955 Black Edition @ stock 3.2GHz with stock cooler
RAM - Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3
Video Card - 2 XFX 4890's in crossfire
Power Supply - Corsair 850W

I am getting ready to do a few upgrades to my system. My frame rates in many of the newer games (Rift, Metro 2033, Bad Company 2, etc.) have been suffering. I am considering switching from an ATI card to an Nvidia card. I have been doing some reading and research and am thinking of going with a GTX 570. My problem is I cannot decide on which model I should go with. I have been looking at the Palit Sonic Platinum which comes overclocked ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-097-_-Product ). I don't have much experience with Nvidia cards and don't know how Palit stands up to some of the other brands. Also with the rumors of the GTX 590 coming later this month should I be waiting for it to come out and see if the price will drop on the GTX 570's? If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

?? My system is pretty much the same and I have no problems.. I average around 70fps in bc2 at 1680x1050 with max setting 4xaa 8xaf. My fps are pretty baller in most other games too.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoriver View Post
?? My system is pretty much the same and I have no problems.. I average around 70fps in bc2 at 1680x1050 with max setting 4xaa 8xaf. My fps are pretty baller in most other games too.
Your pumping alot more out of your CPU though, well .4ghz but if it is a major bottleneck that can be in a CF setup up to 10-20fps
Aggrotech
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Gigabyte x370 Gaming-k7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB (2x8gb)Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600mhzC16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue 240gb Kingston SSDnow V300 x2 420mm Custom EK Loop Windows 10 64bit Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Samsung TV + 23" Dell pro series Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 Bequiet Dark base 900 pro 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G602 Dell XPS Sennheiser GAME ZER0 
  hide details  
Reply
Aggrotech
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Gigabyte x370 Gaming-k7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB (2x8gb)Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600mhzC16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue 240gb Kingston SSDnow V300 x2 420mm Custom EK Loop Windows 10 64bit Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Samsung TV + 23" Dell pro series Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 Bequiet Dark base 900 pro 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G602 Dell XPS Sennheiser GAME ZER0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neokolzia View Post
Your pumping alot more out of your CPU though, well .4ghz but if it is a major bottleneck that can be in a CF setup up to 10-20fps
I'm pretty sure bc2 is the only game out of the three mentioned that is being bottle necked by my cpu.. so maybe you're right. Metro and rift are just poorly optimized just like crysis 1.. don't get me wrong, they look nice but they should look a lot better for the stress it puts on your system. IMO
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Just got done playing some Rift and I had settings around medium high with AA off and wasn't able to get over 30fps and my gpu usage didn't drop below 90%. Also my temps stayed around 80C, I'm not sure what the normal temp is under this kind of stress but seems kind of high to me. To me this seems like a graphics card issue rather then a cpu bottleneck but I could be wrong. I am planning on ocing my cpu some but not sure if I should wait to get an after market cooler first.
Edited by wackedh - 3/6/11 at 9:11pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Upgrade Suggestions