Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Help me decide. Xperia (AT&T) or R2D2 (Verizon).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me decide. Xperia (AT&T) or R2D2 (Verizon). - Page 2

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
ive had att for 4 years and their service is going down hill, id go with verison
At this point... all of the phone companies are pretty much 'downhill'. You just have to decide for yourself which is the lesser of all evils. Its a bit like voting people in to office.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 - 2600K ASUS Maximus IV Gene EVGA GTX470 9600 GSO 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
8GB [2x4] Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial C300 SATA 6.0 64GB Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit 25" HP LCD 1080p x2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated 750W Silverstone Strider Silhouette v2 Crymod Custom by FrozenQ Logitech MX518 
Mouse PadAudio
XTrac Ripper Corsair Vengeance 1500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 - 2600K ASUS Maximus IV Gene EVGA GTX470 9600 GSO 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
8GB [2x4] Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial C300 SATA 6.0 64GB Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit 25" HP LCD 1080p x2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated 750W Silverstone Strider Silhouette v2 Crymod Custom by FrozenQ Logitech MX518 
Mouse PadAudio
XTrac Ripper Corsair Vengeance 1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
Did you get it from AT&T with contract? If so, you should have gotten the HTC Inspire 4G. Much better phone for around the same price. Even though I do have a Samsung Captivate on it's way to my house.
Yeah got it through AT&T. I like the roll over minutes and it was cheaper than Verizon. Not to mention, AT&T's coverage in my state is excellent. On top of that, I found out that A LOT of my family and friends are on AT&T so, bunches of free minutes there.

As for the phone, I've read only good things about the captivate.
Great sound quality, good screen size, lots of awesome features, and it turns out I can even stream Uverse (tv) to it.

As for the Inspire, while it may be a better phone, 4G service is more expensive. I'm already stretching my budget getting this 3G.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 21
AT&T service in CA is sketchy. But that comes down to the pure mass of people that live in CA, not only that. But the area of people living in the general vicinity of one another.

But it's not really "4G" it's more like 3G+ lol.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
Yeah got it through AT&T. I like the roll over minutes and it was cheaper than Verizon. Not to mention, AT&T's coverage in my state is excellent. On top of that, I found out that A LOT of my family and friends are on AT&T so, bunches of free minutes there.

As for the phone, I've read only good things about the captivate.
Great sound quality, good screen size, lots of awesome features, and it turns out I can even stream Uverse (tv) to it.

As for the Inspire, while it may be a better phone, 4G service is more expensive. I'm already stretching my budget getting this 3G.
Same with me, everyone has AT&T where I live. It's funny, I have like +9000 rollover minutes. That's because I chat with friends that have AT&T. I never actually get to use my minutes. So basically if I need, I could spend hours upon hours on the phone.

But hit up the XDA developers forum and find some things to do/put on your Captivate. I can't wait for mine to arrive in a few days.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
AT&T service in CA is sketchy. But that comes down to the pure mass of people that live in CA, not only that. But the area of people living in the general vicinity of one another.

But it's not really "4G" it's more like 3G+ lol.
And yet they charge more for it.

Here in the midwest, coverage, even in the rural areas, is excellent.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 21
Who has better service in your area? If both are comparable, I'd choose Droid over Xperia. Why? Much better 3rd party/custom ROM support than Sony's Xperia. Not to mention, R2-D2 Droid phone is just bad A**
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
And yet they charge more for it.

Here in the midwest, coverage, even in the rural areas, is excellent.
lol you're quick on the replies. but yeah, got AT&T when I lived out in Oklahoma and never had a problem sense. When I moved out to Oklahoma (had VZW before), people seriously didn't even know what Verizon was. Not to mention it was roaming all the time... AT&T was the choice to go to.
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
Who has better service in your area? If both are comparable, I'd choose Droid over Xperia. Why? Much better 3rd party/custom ROM support than Sony's Xperia. Not to mention, R2-D2 Droid phone is just bad A**
The Xperia could be such a nice phone, but the user interface, and most importantly, call quality, are just horrible. I mean having to navigate 3-4 screens to turn the flash off --when you're in camera mode, is just ridiculous.
I read tons of reviews and it only got 20% recommendation rate from users.

If Sony/AT&T got off of their asses and made it user friendly, I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes. It has excellent hardware, its just the software that really blows.

As mentioned earlier, I got the Samsung Captivate. I was going to go with the R2D2, but then came to my senses. The phone is white --I'm a mechanic. Bad combo. That phone would be black in a matter of a day. Not to mention the Samsung is one helluva durable phone. Metal backing and so on. Would definitely be beneficial to resist burns from welding when in my pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
lol you're quick on the replies. but yeah, got AT&T when I lived out in Oklahoma and never had a problem sense. When I moved out to Oklahoma (had VZW before), people seriously didn't even know what Verizon was. Not to mention it was roaming all the time... AT&T was the choice to go to.
AT&T used to be pretty bad around here, but they've gotten considerably better. I asked my bro about it (he's been using AT&T for several years), and he said that they've dramatically improved their service. I remember ~2 years ago they rewired the whole area to make it Uverse ready.

Streaming TV to my PHONE!!!
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
AT&T used to be pretty bad around here, but they've gotten considerably better. I asked my bro about it (he's been using AT&T for several years), and he said that they've dramatically improved their service. I remember ~2 years ago they rewired the whole area to make it Uverse ready.

Streaming TV to my PHONE!!!
Yeah, AT&T was kind of shotty when the iPhone was announced. But that's because everyone bogged down the network. But it got better and has been better since. My Captivate was shipping today. Hoping to be able to play with it soon!
post #19 of 21
If you go att get the atrix, if you go verizon then wait for bionic or thunderbolt
Gene-Z Dedi
(7 items)
 
Captain America
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 2600k @ 5.2 Ghz Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Gskill 2133 4GB Caviar Black 
CoolingOSPower
Corsair H100 Arch x64 OCZ 650 Watt 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2650 Intel Xeon E5-2650 ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS XFX 6870 
RAMOS
32 GB Samsung Arch Nix 
  hide details  
Reply
Gene-Z Dedi
(7 items)
 
Captain America
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 2600k @ 5.2 Ghz Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Gskill 2133 4GB Caviar Black 
CoolingOSPower
Corsair H100 Arch x64 OCZ 650 Watt 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2650 Intel Xeon E5-2650 ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS XFX 6870 
RAMOS
32 GB Samsung Arch Nix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
If you go att get the atrix, if you go verizon then wait for bionic or thunderbolt
I've actually heard people complaining about their Atrix and going back to their old Android device. Google hasn't even optimized Android for dual core processors yet. So there really isn't anything better with the Atrix at this time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Help me decide. Xperia (AT&T) or R2D2 (Verizon).