Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Anyone with AT&T Internet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone with AT&T Internet? - Page 5

post #41 of 50
People please use proper networking terms!

kbps = kilobits per second
KB/s = kilobytes per second

Same goes for MB/s, and mbps

And let's not forget that 8 bits = 1 byte, so divide connection speed (most accurately taken from your router) by eight to get your theoretical maximum download speed.

Also remember that some modems lie about your speed... Mines says 9.5mbps, yet the maximum speed I get on speedtest is 8.2mbps, and then my actual download speeds are halfway in between those two.
Edited by linkin93 - 3/7/11 at 10:16pm
post #42 of 50
5 years of ATT DSL service.
2 1/2 years of good service, no issues. (6Mb package)
Started acting up, horribly slow speeds, 3-4 techs later, new modem and $50 gone. Worked fine after that for about 4-6 months, started acting up again. 4-5 techs later, another modem replaced, back to working, but max speeds dropped from about 5.8 down to about 5.4 down. Didn't think much of it, went on using it. Then my connection started to mess up starting at about 6-7pm in the evening. I would get speeds that were horrible till about 2-3am, then it went back to working fine again. Since ATT doesn't have techs that work after 5, nobody could replicate the issue, and told me there's nothing wrong. After about 6-8 months of calling, talking with lvl 2 support, tons of diagnostic test run, literally 10-12 techs out at my house, they could never pin point the problem. They told me the only thing they could do to ensure I had a stable connection is drop my plan down to the 3Mb package.
So I did, and it worked (although MUCH slower then before) for about 3-4 months, then I started to have the same problem at night where my speeds got horrible.
Again, after calling numerous times (literally 12+ times) and after having another 10+ techs out, they pretty much told me they don't know what's wrong, and that there is nothing they can do for me. And after having YEARS of good service, that my house was too far away from the "hub", and there is nothing they can do about that.

I have never been so angry at a company before in my life. I will never give ATT another dime of money, ever.
I switched to cable, and pay for a 20 down, 2 up package. My speeds:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1189951998.png
I pay $39 a month.
Do not get ATT, their customer service and tech support (and I'm using that term loosely here) is crap.

TL;DR
No, do not get ATT
Obsiden V2.0
(18 items)
 
HP Touchpad
(0 items)
Random Tech Stuff
(27 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 970 @ 4.2Ghz Asus Rampage Formula III ASUS GTX780 12GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840  Toshiba 5tb Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 10  
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Auria 27" 1440p IPS @85hz Acer H243Hbmid 24"  Ducky Shine Zero TKL MX Browns OCZ 1010watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Syrillian Built Tech Bench (Obsiden Silence) Zowie EC2 Blue SteelSeries QcK Mini Creative ZxR 
AudioAudio
KRK Rokkit 5 Gen2 Tonar USB Condesnsor Mic 
  hide details  
Reply
Obsiden V2.0
(18 items)
 
HP Touchpad
(0 items)
Random Tech Stuff
(27 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 970 @ 4.2Ghz Asus Rampage Formula III ASUS GTX780 12GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840  Toshiba 5tb Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 10  
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Auria 27" 1440p IPS @85hz Acer H243Hbmid 24"  Ducky Shine Zero TKL MX Browns OCZ 1010watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Syrillian Built Tech Bench (Obsiden Silence) Zowie EC2 Blue SteelSeries QcK Mini Creative ZxR 
AudioAudio
KRK Rokkit 5 Gen2 Tonar USB Condesnsor Mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Assassin View Post
Please not thats AT&T DSL

their is also U-verse which has better internet..
think like this back in day AsRock was horrible but ASUS was great, same company just different parts of it..
You didn't read the thread. There are lots of u-verse customers in there complaining about the same issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
5 years of ATT DSL service.
2 1/2 years of good service, no issues. (6Mb package)
Started acting up, horribly slow speeds, 3-4 techs later, new modem and $50 gone. Worked fine after that for about 4-6 months, started acting up again. 4-5 techs later, another modem replaced, back to working, but max speeds dropped from about 5.8 down to about 5.4 down. Didn't think much of it, went on using it. Then my connection started to mess up starting at about 6-7pm in the evening. I would get speeds that were horrible till about 2-3am, then it went back to working fine again. Since ATT doesn't have techs that work after 5, nobody could replicate the issue, and told me there's nothing wrong. After about 6-8 months of calling, talking with lvl 2 support, tons of diagnostic test run, literally 10-12 techs out at my house, they could never pin point the problem. They told me the only thing they could do to ensure I had a stable connection is drop my plan down to the 3Mb package.
So I did, and it worked (although MUCH slower then before) for about 3-4 months, then I started to have the same problem at night where my speeds got horrible.
Again, after calling numerous times (literally 12+ times) and after having another 10+ techs out, they pretty much told me they don't know what's wrong, and that there is nothing they can do for me. And after having YEARS of good service, that my house was too far away from the "hub", and there is nothing they can do about that.

I have never been so angry at a company before in my life. I will never give ATT another dime of money, ever.
I switched to cable, and pay for a 20 down, 2 up package. My speeds:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1189951998.png
I pay $39 a month.
Do not get ATT, their customer service and tech support (and I'm using that term loosely here) is crap.

TL;DR
No, do not get ATT
The whole of the AT&T forums are posts like these with stories of awful customer service, followed by text book replies from the support people. Once a company becomes that big (like Dell), if you have a problem it's basically solve it yourself or take your business else where.
post #44 of 50
Thread Starter 
So I've decided to stick with Comcast. They upgraded me to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem after coming to the conclusion that my DOCSIS 2.0 modem wasn't functioning properly and credited my bill for 1 month of service because of all the issues I've been having.

I'm paying for the Economy internet plan, 1.5Mb/.5Mb ($30 a month) and this is what I'm getting right now.





Their service was actually phenomenal once you mention that you're planning on ditching their service. But of course, be polite about it and NEVER raise your voice. From my experience at least.

So overall, I'm glad I'm still with Comcast and extremely pleased with the speeds I'm getting relative to what I'm paying for it. Hopefully I won't have any further issues with Comcast.
post #45 of 50
we just replaced comcast in my house with at&t, thinking it couldn't get any worse. heaven help us! the next day we were already calling Comcast to come back. at&t didn't even groung their connection to our house. ***? now they just re-installed the Comcast and I couldn't be more happy. it's like the old saying of you don't know what you have until it's gone, thinking you can get something better. just my two cents. good luck
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom 2 x4 810 am2+/am3 nvidia galaxy geforce gt220 8gb ddr2 800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb cd/dvd-r/rw windows 7 home premium samsung 23" B2330 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
gateway Corsair cx430 gateway gateway 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom 2 x4 810 am2+/am3 nvidia galaxy geforce gt220 8gb ddr2 800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb cd/dvd-r/rw windows 7 home premium samsung 23" B2330 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
gateway Corsair cx430 gateway gateway 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onmiway75 View Post
we just replaced comcast in my house with at&t, thinking it couldn't get any worse. heaven help us! the next day we were already calling Comcast to come back. at&t didn't even groung their connection to our house. ***? now they just re-installed the Comcast and I couldn't be more happy. it's like the old saying of you don't know what you have until it's gone, thinking you can get something better. just my two cents. good luck
Yeah. Well thanks to you guys I saved myself the trouble and just stuck with Comcast.
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFingerDiscount View Post
Yeah. Well thanks to you guys I saved myself the trouble and just stuck with Comcast.
As for everyone giving their experiences, myself included, they vary from region to region.

In my town, AT&T is far better than Comcast in terms of customer support. That's mostly due to Comcast having a literal monopoly on cable internet/tv stemming from a contract the city signed with them.

It would've been helpful if you said where you're located.....
Primary
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst 4x 2GB G.skill DDR2 1100 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Velociraptor 300GB Caviar Green 500GB LG 24x Super-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous-X RT Win 7 Home Premium x64 ASUS VH222H Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Cyborg R.A.T. 7 AKG K 702 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst 4x 2GB G.skill DDR2 1100 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Velociraptor 300GB Caviar Green 500GB LG 24x Super-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous-X RT Win 7 Home Premium x64 ASUS VH222H Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Cyborg R.A.T. 7 AKG K 702 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 50
Howdy there, I don't know if anyone's replied with actual speeds, but I have the 6Mb/s package also, I live in northeast florida (First Coast) and I get about 700KB/s max while downloading Torrents. It's good, fast, connection. I never get capped, or throttled. Also, if you care, I get 40KB/s max Upload.
The Bargain Bin
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MAXIMUS V GENE MSI Twin Frozr III 3GD5 R7970 G.Skill RipJaws X (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD Samsung 840 PRO Samsung SH-S203N Corsair H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2312HM Logitech K520 OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w 
CaseMouse
Corsair Obsidian 350D Logitech M310 
  hide details  
Reply
The Bargain Bin
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K MAXIMUS V GENE MSI Twin Frozr III 3GD5 R7970 G.Skill RipJaws X (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD Samsung 840 PRO Samsung SH-S203N Corsair H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2312HM Logitech K520 OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w 
CaseMouse
Corsair Obsidian 350D Logitech M310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone Steak View Post
Howdy there, I don't know if anyone's replied with actual speeds, but I have the 6Mb/s package also, I live in northeast florida (First Coast) and I get about 700KB/s max while downloading Torrents. It's good, fast, connection. I never get capped, or throttled. Also, if you care, I get 40KB/s max Upload.
Ouch. I just finished downloading some anime (Full Metal Alchemist if you're curious) and the DL topped out at 2.2Mb/s and finished in no time. I was seeding 4 torrents at ~240KB/s each so my upload seems strong too.
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_b View Post
As for everyone giving their experiences, myself included, they vary from region to region.

In my town, AT&T is far better than Comcast in terms of customer support. That's mostly due to Comcast having a literal monopoly on cable internet/tv stemming from a contract the city signed with them.

It would've been helpful if you said where you're located.....
I agree, it really does vary from one area to the next. Comcast and AT&T are both bad. It's a matter of picking the lesser of two evils. Kind of like Walmart vs Target. They're both monopolies, but comcast is more like Target in my experience, not quite as bad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Anyone with AT&T Internet?