Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › EeePC bench - 7 vs. Ubuntu
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EeePC bench - 7 vs. Ubuntu - Page 2

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post
Great! Thank you, very interesting results.

2min 45sec
Not surprising. Microsoft has the idea that they should show the desktop as soon as possible, even if the system isn't entirely usable at that point. So you can see your taskbar, Start menu, etc., but then you have to spend another minute or two waiting for everything else to load up in the background before you can do much of anything.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 28
Yeah the reason I said the method was bias cause of this! Typically by time I get to desktop in Linux its ready to go.

Now if I just time to when desktop showed it been like 1 m 10s for windows but that wouldn't be a sign of usability just that I could stare at white icons blank Widgets and no internet foe the next minute and a half and that to me would be fudging the results to only make windows appear faster on boot.

I think tomorrow I will add my vista drive and attempt to bust the myth that 7 is faster than vista sp2 (from previous test I don't believe its).

Oh well.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Not surprising. Microsoft has the idea that they should show the desktop as soon as possible, even if the system isn't entirely usable at that point. So you can see your taskbar, Start menu, etc., but then you have to spend another minute or two waiting for everything else to load up in the background before you can do much of anything.
Yes, I know, but almost 3 minutes is still too much! My system (Win7 Pro) is full of all kinds of crap- benchmarking SW, VisualStudio, SQL, 3DMark, gadgets, games of all kind... And still boots in a minute..
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 28
I will redo the test today and try to find some other criteria for usable desktop. But to me the test method what I consider usable desktop.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
alright, i've re-ran the windows test, but this time, i put chrome into the startup folder, instead of relying on me clicking on it. i used OCN here as my homepage.

i noted the following times:
when desktop appears: 56s
browser appears: 1m 15s
internet connection Made: 1m 35s
browser homepage loads: 1m 45s
context menu becomes responsive: 1m 56s
homepage becomes scrollable: 2m 20s
desktop widgets load and display data: 2m 30s

(these are all averages of 6 test)

to me its pretty clear, the original test is still valid, as it still takes 2m 30s for widgets to load and display data (yes they do matter as they are part of the start up process) and by removing myself out of the equation to start chrome, it was still almost a solid 1m 30s after desktop and taskbar appeared,before the browser was even able to scroll thru ocn.

i'm not even going to bother with redoing the ubuntu test, cause imho, i've already done my best to make windows look better at boot up than it is (and this is for my rig, not saying the entire windows 7 running world is the same.).

windows 7 already has several clear advantages over my ubuntu install, its a newer install, has way less startup services and applications, it is on the outer edge of the HDD platter, windows partition well maintained (no virus's or malware, defragged once a week, no excessive amount of installed programs, no modding programs, like rainmeter or customs UI, its all pretty default with the exception of my wallpaper. but that can't be a factor as my wallpaper is the same i have in ubunut...)

i could spend the rest of the day tweaking my windows...and possibly get the boot time to that of ubuntu atm, but that would be inflating windows over ubuntu, cause i've made mention in the earlier post, i've done nothing special to tweak the ubuntu startup, it still has all the original startup apps (actual more than it needs, since it still boots up gnome stuff, since i installed KDE 4.6 from ubuntu), all original services (no services disabled), plus all the stuff i've added later on, it also mounts 3 partitions off the primary drive, and 2 more harddrives (and i forgot about the network shares it mounts from my server) that windows does not mount...i am also using a stock kernel...

and as promised, i did my vista boot test results weren't as earth shattering as i'd hoped, but then again, vista is also on an old IDE 5400 rpm 80 GB drive.

from grub to "usable": 4m 25s

^at least windows 7 was able to "beat" its counterpart. might throw vista on a sata II 7200 rpm drive some time this week, and load it up with the same programs that 7 has and do a true comparison
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 28
With my netbook (1.66ghz atom 3gb ram and patriot ssd) running Arch I get 23 seconds from the click of the button to SLIM login. My sig rig with W7 is about 35 seconds to login but a lot of that is because of the slow Marvell controller bios. Windows it self boots to login in about 10 seconds.

If you spend hours tweaking windows it can be fast (reduced services/startup, no gui boot option). Ubuntu 10.10 was slow to boot for me, and the worst was opensuse.
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
alright, i've re-ran the windows test, but this time, i put chrome into the startup folder, instead of relying on me clicking on it. i used OCN here as my homepage.

i noted the following times:
when desktop appears: 56s
browser appears: 1m 15s
internet connection Made: 1m 35s
browser homepage loads: 1m 45s
context menu becomes responsive: 1m 56s
homepage becomes scrollable: 2m 20s
desktop widgets load and display data: 2m 30s

(these are all averages of 6 test)

to me its pretty clear, the original test is still valid, as it still takes 2m 30s for widgets to load and display data (yes they do matter as they are part of the start up process) and by removing myself out of the equation to start chrome, it was still almost a solid 1m 30s after desktop and taskbar appeared,before the browser was even able to scroll thru ocn.

i'm not even going to bother with redoing the ubuntu test, cause imho, i've already done my best to make windows look better at boot up than it is (and this is for my rig, not saying the entire windows 7 running world is the same.).

windows 7 already has several clear advantages over my ubuntu install, its a newer install, has way less startup services and applications, it is on the outer edge of the HDD platter, windows partition well maintained (no virus's or malware, defragged once a week, no excessive amount of installed programs, no modding programs, like rainmeter or customs UI, its all pretty default with the exception of my wallpaper. but that can't be a factor as my wallpaper is the same i have in ubunut...)

i could spend the rest of the day tweaking my windows...and possibly get the boot time to that of ubuntu atm, but that would be inflating windows over ubuntu, cause i've made mention in the earlier post, i've done nothing special to tweak the ubuntu startup, it still has all the original startup apps (actual more than it needs, since it still boots up gnome stuff, since i installed KDE 4.6 from ubuntu), all original services (no services disabled), plus all the stuff i've added later on, it also mounts 3 partitions off the primary drive, and 2 more harddrives (and i forgot about the network shares it mounts from my server) that windows does not mount...i am also using a stock kernel...

and as promised, i did my vista boot test results weren't as earth shattering as i'd hoped, but then again, vista is also on an old IDE 5400 rpm 80 GB drive.

from grub to "usable": 4m 25s

^at least windows 7 was able to "beat" its counterpart. might throw vista on a sata II 7200 rpm drive some time this week, and load it up with the same programs that 7 has and do a true comparison
WOW..


You didn't have to redo the test, noone was arguing with your results, but Thanks anyway
I still can't explain to myself why your 7 takes so long to load...
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
(sorry for double post)
My sig rig, 6 months old install:
OS select to scrollable OCN, all gadgets loaded - 1min 24sec.
(with manual clicking and passwords, etc)

You might want to check for bad drivers or so..
Edited by ronnin426850 - 3/8/11 at 11:13am
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post
WOW..


You didn't have to redo the test, noone was arguing with your results, but Thanks anyway
I still can't explain to myself why your 7 takes so long to load...
well like error10 said, MS does everything it can to get the desktop to show up faster, as their definition of "boot up" is that it is done when the desktop show up. even tho a good 70% of the processes have been shoved into the back ground.

i know no one was arguing with me or trying to disprove my results, if anything, i was arguing with myself, cause i came to the conclusion, no matter how i did these test, i would be biased towards one OS, simply cause their boot processes are handled way different.

if i spent the afternoon tweaking 7, yeah i could definitely yield a much better boot, but if i spent the afternoon tweaking ubuntu (disabling all the services i don't use, compiling a custom kernel that is smaller and only loading the modules for my devices (modules=drivers), installing rereadahead and configuring that, and reorginizing the way the init process works.) i would smash any windows 7 install on a mechanical harddrive that is out there in boot times, and if i had a ssd, i would smash those as well...
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
well like error10 said, MS does everything it can to get the desktop to show up faster, as their definition of "boot up" is that it is done when the desktop show up. even tho a good 70% of the processes have been shoved into the back ground.

i know no one was arguing with me or trying to disprove my results, if anything, i was arguing with myself, cause i came to the conclusion, no matter how i did these test, i would be biased towards one OS, simply cause their boot processes are handled way different.

if i spent the afternoon tweaking 7, yeah i could definitely yield a much better boot, but if i spent the afternoon tweaking ubuntu (disabling all the services i don't use, compiling a custom kernel that is smaller and only loading the modules for my devices (modules=drivers), installing rereadahead and configuring that, and reorginizing the way the init process works.) i would smash any windows 7 install on a mechanical harddrive that is out there in boot times, and if i had a ssd, i would smash those as well...
Yes, of course, I understand LinuX is way lighter, and tweaking is not really what regular users do, so thats why its best to have them untweaked
However, my point is- no healthy Windows takes 2.5min to boot (except Vista, which is well known )

Even though its made by Microsoft, who do this and that with your desktop at boot time, it still is not normal to load for 2min 30sec from OS select to operational...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post
(sorry for double post)
My sig rig, 6 months old install:
OS select to scrollable OCN, all gadgets loaded - 1min 24sec.
(with manual clicking and passwords, etc)

You might want to check for bad drivers or so..
^^ and that is with lots of intensive startup programs- LiveMesh, AVs, messengers, CCC and so on
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › EeePC bench - 7 vs. Ubuntu