Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [BBC] Browser firms plan 'do not track' systems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BBC] Browser firms plan 'do not track' systems

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Mozilla and Google have unveiled different ways for people to dodge efforts to monitor what they do online and tailor ads to their likes.

Google has made a Chrome extension that permanently opts people out of the ad-tracking systems used on the web.

Mozilla is proposing a way for people to declare to every site they visit that they do not want to be tracked.
Source

Also: Internet Explorer 9 Introduce Anti-Tracking Tool

Wow how long did it take em? They should flat ban Advertising from 3rd party sites, I've had enough of the malware, lock browser tactics, and malicious intent behind advertisers it's time someone should start paying for their invasion into computers....

Write a piece of data on my PC w/o my permission and you should get OWNED!
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 17
Downloaded the chrome extension hopefully I'll see a drop in tracking cookies ect..
post #3 of 17
So one of the largest 3rd party advertising companies comes out with something to block themselves? Ads by Google anyone? I mean.. It's right at the top of OCN...
 
Project Al
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2700k Gigabyte UD4 MSI 580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition 3GB 2x4GB G.Skill @ 1600mhz CL6 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex II SSD OCZ Vertex II SSD LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive Win 7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Achieva Shimian Acer G235H XArmor U9BL Corsair HX1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 Silver Arrow Razer Naga Ultimate Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Polk Audio RTi-A1 
AudioAudio
Dayton Audio DTA-100a Asus Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Project Al
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2700k Gigabyte UD4 MSI 580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition 3GB 2x4GB G.Skill @ 1600mhz CL6 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex II SSD OCZ Vertex II SSD LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive Win 7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Achieva Shimian Acer G235H XArmor U9BL Corsair HX1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 Silver Arrow Razer Naga Ultimate Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Polk Audio RTi-A1 
AudioAudio
Dayton Audio DTA-100a Asus Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 17
Google makes a boatload of money off their ads. The only reason I see them doing this is because of the whole chrome privacy debacle and google becoming big brother in general.
They know that like 90% of people are idiots and wont ever enable a do not track setting, while they will get good press for making it.
Plus it's not like google wont already have your information to sell if they wanted to, since you have to use chrome for it.

Mozilla's method will flop, and microsofts seems like it will be annoying.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post
So one of the largest 3rd party advertising companies comes out with something to block themselves? Ads by Google anyone? I mean.. It's right at the top of OCN...
This

post #6 of 17
Every drop in usefulness of online advertising equates to a drop in quality of free websites. I hope you all realize this.

Less useful and less targeted online advertising means that advertisers will not be willing to put as much money into advertising online. Which means less profits for published websites, such as OCN. It could push some sites over the brink into losses, and eventually shutting down.

I'm not a huge fan of tracking cookies, but if I get ads for things that I might actually be interested in, instead of completely random crap, then that's a bonus. And if it helps support the websites I visit that much more, then that's a bonus as well.

You all need to think about the consequences of these things before you jump on the bandwagon. I guess I'm just not as paranoid about some things as many of you seem to be, and I like supporting free websites like OCN.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x View Post
They know that like 90% of people are idiots and wont ever enable a do not track setting, while they will get good press for making it.
I think this is what google is thinking right here.
Minimal
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD7-B3 EVGA Geforce GTX 980ti Classified G Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64 Western Digital Black 640 LG DVD RW EK Custom Loop 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64bit Samsung S23A700D Dell U2715H Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TPQ 1000 Antec P182 Razer Mamba TE steeleries 9HD 
Audio
Creative X-Fi Xtream Music 
  hide details  
Reply
Minimal
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD7-B3 EVGA Geforce GTX 980ti Classified G Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 64 Western Digital Black 640 LG DVD RW EK Custom Loop 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64bit Samsung S23A700D Dell U2715H Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TPQ 1000 Antec P182 Razer Mamba TE steeleries 9HD 
Audio
Creative X-Fi Xtream Music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
I block all ads with MVPS.org

I cannot stand ads & popups! meh!
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Every drop in usefulness of online advertising equates to a drop in quality of free websites. I hope you all realize this.

Less useful and less targeted online advertising means that advertisers will not be willing to put as much money into advertising online. Which means less profits for published websites, such as OCN. It could push some sites over the brink into losses, and eventually shutting down.

I'm not a huge fan of tracking cookies, but if I get ads for things that I might actually be interested in, instead of completely random crap, then that's a bonus. And if it helps support the websites I visit that much more, then that's a bonus as well.

You all need to think about the consequences of these things before you jump on the bandwagon. I guess I'm just not as paranoid about some things as many of you seem to be, and I like supporting free websites like OCN.
What are you talking about, I'd gladly pay to use overclock.net!
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #10 of 17
Ads in general aren't that bad. The real benefit of their new privacy settings in my opinion is elsewhere: blocking facebook trackers as a built-in feature is more important. What right do they have of tracking me if I don't ever want to have any form of online contact with them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [BBC] Browser firms plan 'do not track' systems