Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Looking to buy a new sound card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to buy a new sound card - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuad View Post
I have no idea about the "creative console launcher" but I promise you it's better for gaming than 99% of Creative cards.
Thanks.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090t ASUS Sabertooth 990fx PNY GTX470 2x4g GSkill 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gig WD DVD ±RW Black TRUE Vista Ultimate SP2 
MonitorPowerCase
Gateway FPD2275 Corsair HX1000 Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090t ASUS Sabertooth 990fx PNY GTX470 2x4g GSkill 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gig WD DVD ±RW Black TRUE Vista Ultimate SP2 
MonitorPowerCase
Gateway FPD2275 Corsair HX1000 Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuad View Post
I have no idea about the "creative console launcher" but I promise you it's better for gaming than 99% of Creative cards.
False. I currently own a Xonar D1 and have also gamed on a Xonar D2X. I also have owned a X-Fi XtremeMusic and currently a X-Fi Titanium HD. The Xonar cards have awful sound positioning for FPS and is like playing the game with earmuffs. I don't know how many times I've died because I didn't hear someone blatantly shooting in my direction or getting knifed because I didn't hear them walking behind me with the Xonars in Bad Company 2. This was done for an extensive period (read: months) with the same headphones used on both the X-Fi cards and the Xonars.

I almost tossed out the Xonar D1 because of this because it was just that bad.

Bottom line: Xonars are poor for gaming sound positioning but does make music and effects sound really good. X-Fi cards are great with positioning but sound "leaner."
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
False. I currently own a Xonar D1 and have also gamed on a Xonar D2X. I also have owned a X-Fi XtremeMusic and currently a X-Fi Titanium HD. The Xonar cards have awful sound positioning for FPS and is like playing the game with earmuffs. I don't know how many times I've died because I didn't hear someone blatantly shooting in my direction or getting knifed because I didn't hear them walking behind me with the Xonars in Bad Company 2. This was done for an extensive period (read: months) with the same headphones used on both the X-Fi cards and the Xonars.

I almost tossed out the Xonar D1 because of this because it was just that bad.

Bottom line: Xonars are poor for gaming sound positioning but does make music and effects sound really good. X-Fi cards are great with positioning but sound "leaner."
Would you say the Essence STX would be a downgrade in FPS gaming sound positioning than, say, an onboard ALC889? Or do these comments about the Xonars only apply to the lower-end and not the STX?
Blue Giant
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D Wolfdale E8400 @4.05ghz 1.41v Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Visiontek HD4850 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1000mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM Windows 7 64-bit Asus VH222H Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Xigmatek NRP-650w Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 Logitech G9X Razer Goliathus Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Giant
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D Wolfdale E8400 @4.05ghz 1.41v Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Visiontek HD4850 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1000mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM Windows 7 64-bit Asus VH222H Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Xigmatek NRP-650w Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 Logitech G9X Razer Goliathus Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 30
I have a creative Fatal1ty
It's in pieces
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-970@4.4 EVGA Classified3 5870x3 Corsair Dom 12gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Everything on 201tb nas nothing Koolance CPU-370 hwlabs sr-1 420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
hwlabs gtx120 hwlabs gts 360 xflow ek fc5870 nickel+acetalx3 changes 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
crap model m, 6gv2, k95, wasd, code v2, model f Changes MM 
MouseMouse PadOther
mionix avior 7000 zowie g25 wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
It's in pieces
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-970@4.4 EVGA Classified3 5870x3 Corsair Dom 12gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Everything on 201tb nas nothing Koolance CPU-370 hwlabs sr-1 420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
hwlabs gtx120 hwlabs gts 360 xflow ek fc5870 nickel+acetalx3 changes 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
crap model m, 6gv2, k95, wasd, code v2, model f Changes MM 
MouseMouse PadOther
mionix avior 7000 zowie g25 wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 30
The STX uses the same digital signal processor so going off that, it will be the same as a lower end Xonar in sound positioning. It is still an upgrade over an onboard solution, don't get me wrong but gaming with the D1 and D2X was bad (compared to an X-Fi card) to the point that I could no longer rely properly on my sense of sound, which to me breaks the deal.

I still kept my Xonar D1 though because it's just better sounding for music and because I can manually control if it outputs to the front panel or to my speakers on the back of the card.
Edited by RallyMaster - 3/8/11 at 8:55pm
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 30
Get the Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD. Best of Both worlds!!
The Liberator
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5-750 @4Ghz (191x21) w 1.40v IMC @1.3v 24/7 ASUS P7P55D-E Pro SATA3 USB3.0 1002 BIOS EVGA GTX 580 @900/1800/2100 with 1.1v 4 GB GSkill Trident DDR3 2000 @1910 8-8-8-21 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 Samsung 1TB F3s in 2 RAID0 arrays LG 10X Blu Ray Drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (Fully Tweaked) Samsung T260 26" LCD 1920x1200 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK Back-lit Gaming Keyboard Corsair AX 850 Gold CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Black +Silverstone CFP51 bay Logitech G5 original 
  hide details  
Reply
The Liberator
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5-750 @4Ghz (191x21) w 1.40v IMC @1.3v 24/7 ASUS P7P55D-E Pro SATA3 USB3.0 1002 BIOS EVGA GTX 580 @900/1800/2100 with 1.1v 4 GB GSkill Trident DDR3 2000 @1910 8-8-8-21 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 Samsung 1TB F3s in 2 RAID0 arrays LG 10X Blu Ray Drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (Fully Tweaked) Samsung T260 26" LCD 1920x1200 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-ROCKS KR-6820E-BK Back-lit Gaming Keyboard Corsair AX 850 Gold CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Black +Silverstone CFP51 bay Logitech G5 original 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 30
Since there HD555's and they sound great amped +1 for the Asus xonar ST or STX.
The Frizz Meister
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.74Ghz Asus Crosshair IV AM3 CrossfireX Gigabyte ATI 5870 2GB Eyefinity 4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Asus 24x Sata DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus VE248H 24" LED 2MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Black/Black Corsair 750HX Modular Corsair 800D Full Tower Razer Deathadder 3G 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
The Frizz Meister
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.74Ghz Asus Crosshair IV AM3 CrossfireX Gigabyte ATI 5870 2GB Eyefinity 4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Asus 24x Sata DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus VE248H 24" LED 2MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Black/Black Corsair 750HX Modular Corsair 800D Full Tower Razer Deathadder 3G 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
Get the Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD. Best of Both worlds!!
I would almost agree except Auzentech has a reliability problem. I'm sure plenty of people can tell you how their Forte has died in less than a year not to mention the numerous noise issues they had because the card's ground wasn't designed properly (most likely is the reason they die).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFrizzy View Post
Since there HD555's and they sound great amped +1 for the Asus xonar ST or STX.
You'd be surprised to find out your HD555 unamped on a Xonar D1 or DX sounds the same as it does on your ST. Been there, done that (almost - with a Little Dot MKII tube amp) with my HD595.
Edited by RallyMaster - 3/8/11 at 9:00pm
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 30
sinep
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 GA-X58A-UD3R MSI GTX 650Ti Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate 4TB + Crucial M4 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Asus VG248QE </3 Sidewinder X4 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wheel Mouse Optical Sideways Puretrak Talent Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + Red Sony MDRZX300 
  hide details  
Reply
sinep
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 GA-X58A-UD3R MSI GTX 650Ti Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate 4TB + Crucial M4 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Asus VG248QE </3 Sidewinder X4 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wheel Mouse Optical Sideways Puretrak Talent Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + Red Sony MDRZX300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuad View Post
Almost /thread, but almost doesn't get the job done. (there's a prize if you catch the reference) Go to Fry's http://www.frys.com/product/5989764, and ask them to price match ExcaliberPC: http://www.excaliberpc.com/590561/as...e-stx-7.1.html.

Or just take the Fry's price.
lol he saved a 1$, there's a catch, they also add shipping unless the site offers free shipping
Black
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3770k @4.8 Asus Maixums V Formula Evga 970FTW 4GB G.Skill 16GB 1866MHZ 8-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840pro 128GB XSPC RX360 W7 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair TX850M Corsair 800D Logitech G303 
Mouse PadAudio
Mionix Propus360 Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Black
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3770k @4.8 Asus Maixums V Formula Evga 970FTW 4GB G.Skill 16GB 1866MHZ 8-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840pro 128GB XSPC RX360 W7 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair TX850M Corsair 800D Logitech G303 
Mouse PadAudio
Mionix Propus360 Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Looking to buy a new sound card