New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

openSUSE 11.4 - Page 3

post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMD_Fan View Post
Huh? cutting edge for noobs desktop? (We don't need elitist comments like that thanks) Too many mistakes? Huh? I've been using ubuntu as my main desktop for over 3 years now. It works great... only minor issues that you would have with any OS. So you think it is bad that ubuntu is trying to make an OS that everyone can use? We should only keep it for the people who know more about the OS? Give me a break....
an experienced user CAN use ubuntu...

new users only see... NEW STUFF COOL... i mean seriously, ubuntu update your kernal like 4 times a release cycle i swear :/ ***? every release they add a bunch of junk you dont need thats fairly new and for users that dont know how to solve problems when they do arise it will break and stay broken... cutting edge is not what beginners should be using, and ubuntu is targetting new users, with cutting edge software, and they are making a bloated frankenstein distro doing so... i read the stuff they add each release and half of it i just think, why...

yes, ubuntu is still the best bet for new users, but i still think their devs make really poor choices :/ they offer stuff in one release, that will actually break as soon as the next release upgrade is installed... they make very large changes for a six month release cycle imo... the whole thing is just kind of a nightmare to me, im much happier using other distros now that im away from ubuntu

honestly, i was using ubuntu from 6.10 to 8.10 and id have to do so much work every time i upgraded because more than half the stuff i was using completely broke :/ and it was all from the ubuntu repos with synaptic

opensuse is a bit more rock solid because novell has their act together a bit more and is a more professional company that has broken into the industry as one of the few linux OS's people would actually drop a couple bucks on

and im very opinionated and elitist arguing is entertaining, and you learn a lot by doing so, i like novell and dont really like ubuntu FLAME ON
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod View Post
an experienced user CAN use ubuntu...

new users only see... NEW STUFF COOL... i mean seriously, ubuntu update your kernal like 4 times a release cycle i swear :/ ***? every release they add a bunch of junk you dont need thats fairly new and for users that dont know how to solve problems when they do arise it will break and stay broken... cutting edge is not what beginners should be using, and ubuntu is targetting new users, with cutting edge software, and they are making a bloated frankenstein distro doing so... i read the stuff they add each release and half of it i just think, why...

yes, ubuntu is still the best bet for new users, but i still think their devs make really poor choices :/ they offer stuff in one release, that will actually break as soon as the next release upgrade is installed... they make very large changes for a six month release cycle imo... the whole thing is just kind of a nightmare to me, im much happier using other distros now that im away from ubuntu

honestly, i was using ubuntu from 6.10 to 8.10 and id have to do so much work every time i upgraded because more than half the stuff i was using completely broke :/ and it was all from the ubuntu repos with synaptic

opensuse is a bit more rock solid because novell has their act together a bit more and is a more professional company that has broken into the industry as one of the few linux OS's people would actually drop a couple bucks on

and im very opinionated and elitist arguing is entertaining, and you learn a lot by doing so, i like novell and dont really like ubuntu FLAME ON
Oh i'm sorry i misunderstood what you said.... my fault... yes it is bloated and i have noticed alot of kernel updates...hmmmm.... maybe i've been too lazy..... I started using ubuntu at the first release and it was refreshing at the time.... i had lots of problems with Fedora back then (5 or 6?) can't remember which.... I tried fedora 13 on a desktop recently and had all kinds of trouble with the nvidia driver, not sure why... never had an issue before. I will try the new Suse and see what it's like.
Like i said... sorry, mate! I have been lazy, and just kept updating and running with what i had.... like i said tho' it is my daily driver for the last 3 + years, so i don't like to change when things are working. Thanks for the wake up call, sir!
AMD 955BE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE C3 Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS450 G.Skill RipJaws 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series 180gb SSD + 320gb WD  Samsung SH-223F sata DVD-RW Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell E228WFP 22" + Dell E2209W 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard USB PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer Antec 300 Logitech MX620 wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD 955BE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE C3 Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS450 G.Skill RipJaws 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series 180gb SSD + 320gb WD  Samsung SH-223F sata DVD-RW Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell E228WFP 22" + Dell E2209W 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard USB PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer Antec 300 Logitech MX620 wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod View Post
an experienced user CAN use ubuntu...

new users only see... NEW STUFF COOL... i mean seriously, ubuntu update your kernal like 4 times a release cycle i swear :/ ***? every release they add a bunch of junk you dont need thats fairly new and for users that dont know how to solve problems when they do arise it will break and stay broken... cutting edge is not what beginners should be using, and ubuntu is targetting new users, with cutting edge software, and they are making a bloated frankenstein distro doing so... i read the stuff they add each release and half of it i just think, why...

yes, ubuntu is still the best bet for new users, but i still think their devs make really poor choices :/ they offer stuff in one release, that will actually break as soon as the next release upgrade is installed... they make very large changes for a six month release cycle imo... the whole thing is just kind of a nightmare to me, im much happier using other distros now that im away from ubuntu

honestly, i was using ubuntu from 6.10 to 8.10 and id have to do so much work every time i upgraded because more than half the stuff i was using completely broke :/ and it was all from the ubuntu repos with synaptic

opensuse is a bit more rock solid because novell has their act together a bit more and is a more professional company that has broken into the industry as one of the few linux OS's people would actually drop a couple bucks on

and im very opinionated and elitist arguing is entertaining, and you learn a lot by doing so, i like novell and dont really like ubuntu FLAME ON

IMO:
ubuntu is not stable, full of crap and seriously.. gnome?

The reason why so many people say gnome is better is because ubuntu is the most used distro (most noobs use it) and gnome is default. but cmon... gnome is just not good, and as Linus said, he uses KDE because gnome treats you like an idiot
post #24 of 65
I like turtles. And by turtles, I mean KDE. It's so much better looking than Gnome. Gnome seems like it's just really flashy, while KDE seems more elegant. But that's stock vs stock. I guess you can customize Gnome to look good. I just don't see it happening.

I think I will try out this distro, but I'd like to run it in a VM. Now I have to figure out how to do that...
post #25 of 65
i dont like either one

openbox ftw
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduFurtado View Post
IMO:
ubuntu is not stable, full of crap and seriously.. gnome?

The reason why so many people say gnome is better is because ubuntu is the most used distro (most noobs use it) and gnome is default. but cmon... gnome is just not good, and as Linus said, he uses KDE because gnome treats you like an idiot
You are wrong.... gnome was the most popular way before ubuntu was around..... sorry but that is true. Look it up......

Also, gnome had much more functionality than KDE for many years. KDE was just flashy and pretty but not much else. That is why initially gnome was picked over KDE. Now it is much different, gnome has evolved in a lets make it simple so everyone can use it and we don't wanna make it to complicated. I personally used gnome since before ubuntu was around and before fedora was around, so things were much different back then. I'm sure the majority of linux users on this site have only been using it for a few years and didn't know there was linux before ubuntu and fedora, but eh....
AMD 955BE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE C3 Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS450 G.Skill RipJaws 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series 180gb SSD + 320gb WD  Samsung SH-223F sata DVD-RW Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell E228WFP 22" + Dell E2209W 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard USB PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer Antec 300 Logitech MX620 wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD 955BE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE C3 Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS450 G.Skill RipJaws 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series 180gb SSD + 320gb WD  Samsung SH-223F sata DVD-RW Windows 7 HP 64bit Dell E228WFP 22" + Dell E2209W 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard USB PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer Antec 300 Logitech MX620 wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMD_Fan View Post
You are wrong.... gnome was the most popular way before ubuntu was around..... sorry but that is true. Look it up......

Also, gnome had much more functionality than KDE for many years. KDE was just flashy and pretty but not much else. That is why initially gnome was picked over KDE. Now it is much different, gnome has evolved in a lets make it simple so everyone can use it and we don't wanna make it to complicated. I personally used gnome since before ubuntu was around and before fedora was around, so things were much different back then. I'm sure the majority of linux users on this site have only been using it for a few years and didn't know there was linux before ubuntu and fedora, but eh....
There wasn't! I won't believe that linux existed before *buntu, never!

Naw, he is right that Gnome has been incredibly popular for a long time. The main desktops have always been Gnome/KDE and the battle has been going on many generations.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 65
And it's about time KDE won.

Though, I'd mourn the lose of choice and competition.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 65
I've always liked Suse. The last one I used was 11.2. For some reason, 11.3 wouldn't work with my printer, so I skipped it. I don't know if I'll get 11.4 running since the Live disk won't load up lol

But historically, in my opinion of course, Suse has always been great at being a working operating system. Its YAST control center provides a great central "hub" to the OS. That's in contrast to other distros like Ubuntu, for example, which use those loose configuration applets that seem to hang off the sides of the OS instead of being integrated into it. I haven't used Ubuntu for a good few years, but that was the story the last I heard of Ubuntu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduFurtado;12683561 
but cmon... gnome is just not good, and as Linus said, he uses KDE because gnome treats you like an idiot

That's interesting. I feel exactly the opposite. Plus, GNOME always seemed much, much more stable than KDE. And KDE apps just generally didn't have that polished feel compared to native GNOME apps.
post #30 of 65
Geeko is pleased with 11.4... it is good... Still not sure why fans of a distro always feel the need to dis other distro's though :/

Choose your flavour, and enjoy it (I have )
po-ta-toe
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600 DH67CL Radeon HD 6850 Mix-a-match 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Blue Western Digital Green LG Multi-write DVD-ROM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Manjaro i3 Community Edition Samsung TV Steelseries 6Gv2 
PowerCaseMouse
No name 550kW Circle Steelseries Sensei 
  hide details  
Reply
po-ta-toe
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600 DH67CL Radeon HD 6850 Mix-a-match 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Blue Western Digital Green LG Multi-write DVD-ROM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Manjaro i3 Community Edition Samsung TV Steelseries 6Gv2 
PowerCaseMouse
No name 550kW Circle Steelseries Sensei 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix