Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › added a switch to my router/network, cant see other pc's anymore (pic)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

added a switch to my router/network, cant see other pc's anymore (pic) - Page 3

post #21 of 27
I have setup the network I described in cisco's packet tracer and it works perfectly, all computer get their IPs from the router. All computer can see eachother and ping eachother.

if you have any of your computer setup as static IPs that will cause issues.

here is a picture of packet tracer.
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent View Post
I had to google 802.1q tagging,some good articles. The Wikipedia article started out with "this article may be too difficult for many to understand......This was the first time I ever saw this line in a Wikipedia article.
lol you're not alone, networking talk goes way over my head usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
connect the wifi router to the modem, and then connect the switch to the wifi router, and connect all the computers to the switch.

I should break out the visio.
or break out packet tracer.
thanks, i'll try this when i get home

pretend i dont have a wifi router for a sec ..theoretically, shouldnt my way work though? since the all-in-one acts as a router/switch, i'm just connecting another switch to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee View Post
Well, put it on the same subnet.
not sure how honestly, all my stuff was plug n play never messed with any settings lol
Edited by koven - 3/10/11 at 4:47pm
post #23 of 27
I had to google 802.1q tagging,some good articles. The Wikipedia article started out with "this article may be too difficult for many to understand......This was the first time I ever saw this line in a Wikipedia article.

EDIT: I have no idea how this got posted twice, it was sitting in the Quick reply box when I returned from a restroom visit,I hit post and then saw it was already there.
Edited by PCCstudent - 3/10/11 at 5:04pm
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

pretend i dont have a wifi router for a sec ..theoretically, shouldnt my way work though? since the all-in-one acts as a router/switch, i'm just connecting another switch to it...
You're just extending your broadcast domain.
  • Make sure you are using the right cables
  • Make sure all of your devices are in the same subnet
  • Watch porn.

I'm not seeing the complexity here..
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

pretend i dont have a wifi router for a sec ..theoretically, shouldnt my way work though? since the all-in-one acts as a router/switch, i'm just connecting another switch to it...
If you didn't have the wifi router it wouldn't really matter how you hooked it up. the switch doesn't separate networks, it just expands them.

routers on the other hand separate networks so things on one side can see the things on the other side. so generally you want to keep all of your computers on one side of the router so that they can all see each other. there are ways around that, but if you keep them on one side of the router it keeps it simple. the main use of a router is to separate your internet network from the outside internet, this protects you from hackers and such because they see your router instead of getting direct access to your computer.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
If you didn't have the wifi router it wouldn't really matter how you hooked it up. the switch doesn't separate networks, it just expands them.

routers on the other hand separate networks so things on one side can see the things on the other side. so generally you want to keep all of your computers on one side of the router so that they can all see each other. there are ways around that, but if you keep them on one side of the router it keeps it simple. the main use of a router is to separate your internet network from the outside internet, this protects you from hackers and such because they see your router instead of getting direct access to your computer.
All I want to do is edit that... You're kinda right, it just all those pronouns..
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee View Post
All I want to do is edit that... You're kinda right, it just all those pronouns..
Hey, I'm a network security major, not an English major.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › added a switch to my router/network, cant see other pc's anymore (pic)