Overclock.net banner

Dedicated folding cards / GPU Farm

6K views 131 replies 25 participants last post by  Desert Rat 
#1 ·
Currently i am running the galaxy gtx 460 768mb as a dedicated folding card. I want to add another folding card. What is the best value/performance folding card? Here is what i am thinking.

1. Buy another galaxy 460 and SLI or not
2. Sell the galaxy and buy 2 other folding cards
3. Sell the galaxy and buy 2 better 460s.
3. Keep the galaxy and buy another folding card.

What do you guys think is the best option for maximum folding. Thanks

#9 ·
After some though i am going to run a GPU farm at work (I have asked them for permission and they have approved). I want to run at least 5 GPUs. Here is what i have so far. Any advice? This will be built over the coming months.

AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz
MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3
Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 1600Mhz
5 x GTX 460 or GTX 450.

I will make a case out of wood and use the PCI-E PCI-Express Extenders, but is there any case big enough i can use to cool these cards?

#12 ·
I only mentioned the heat because my two Palit 460's when they were sandwiched together generated a ton of heat - however since this will be at work, and you likely won't care about the fan noise, you might not have to go to such an extreme.

You may be able to get away with their fans screaming at 80% if the case isn't near you.

#13 ·
That mainboard can fit up to two dual-slot cards and three single-slot cards. You have chosen a PSU with 6 native PCI-e power connectors, so unless you do molex to PCI-e that will be your limiting factor.

My advice would be to get 5 of the single-slot MSI GTS 450 and rock on from there. You could replace one of them with a GTX 460 for a bit more PPD, but I don't think it's worth it. However, if you get one of these plus 4 GTS 450, you will be absolutely maxed out.

Tats has a good point: What is your cooling solution going to be?

For a case: Test bench is probably your best bet. Make sure it's in a well-ventilated space and that you clean it at least weekly.

EDIT: I didn't even consider the PCI-e extenders. If you go that route, then you have lots more options. What's the budget?

#14 ·
Heat is going to be a concern, after looking at cases i think it would be best to use what Knitelife has made. The farm will be sitting is a 12 x 12 cooled server room. Budget i would say around +/-$1500.

EDIT: Newegg has a power calculator and it allows me to select 4 GTXs, the total came to 1040w. So a 1350w should be good? I might end up using the molex to pcie adapters.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremtok;12695920
Considering your setup and budget, you'd almost be better off getting 4 GTX 470 instead of 5 GTX 460. This is assuming ~$500 for the main components and ~$1000 for the GPU. You'd even have room to add a 5th GTX 470 later if you came up with the cash.

Either way it will be one hell of a farm!
The components comes to $502 exact. My current plan cots $1175.81. If i go with 4 x 470s, its $1427. Hopefully they will release the GTX 460 2Win by the time i start buying more GPUs.

EDIT: My brother works at Frys so i might be able to get the evga 470s a little cheaper.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali7up;12696845
That did cross my mind. Tigerdirect has the 460s evga 768mb for $110 and the 1gb for $150. Does memory make a difference in folding performance.

EDIT: I did find a ULTRA 1600w power supply but i don't know how good of a brand it is.
I am like 99% sure that memeory has no impact on PPD.

I know there is a 1200 psu that was shown to supply like 1600w - let me see which one

#25 ·
So your getting the extenders then? If you are, that should work. If not, then those GPU's won't all fit on that one motherboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.