Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Various] Japan Nuclear Emergency - Continuous Coverage of Damage and Radiation Risks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] Japan Nuclear Emergency - Continuous Coverage of Damage and Radiation Risks - Page 38  

post #371 of 2836
I dont belive it has melted down yet. Its on the brink of melt down.

To limit damage to the reactor core, Tokyo Electric Power Company began injecting sea water mixed with boron into the primary containment vessel in an operation that got under way Saturday night, IAEA said.

The use of sea water and boron was described as a "Hail Mary pass" by Robert Alvarez, senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies focused on energy policies and a former senior policy adviser to the U.S. secretary of energy.

Another expert said enough was known to conclude that Saturday's nuclear events in Japan rank high on the list of similar incidents. "If this accident stops right now it will already be one of the three worst accidents we have ever had at a nuclear power plant in the history of nuclear power," said Joseph Cirincione, an expert on nuclear materials and president of the U.S.-based Ploughshares Fund, a firm involved in security and peace funding.


So basically if the sea water dosent keep the temps down the reactor is going to blow.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
post #372 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post
Aye, true... but never say never D:
And I mean yes, it did travel quite a ways but even then it really wasn't a large hazard anywhere other than in the direct vicinity. Obviously it wasn't good but it seems to me that western Europe is still completely habitable.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
post #373 of 2836
molino's pc
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 3Ghz 1.3v P5Q-Pro Turbo XFX HD5770 CF 950/1350 1.2v 4G DDR2 5-5-5-15 964Mhz 2.1v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Green 1TB/60G OCZ Vertex2 Asus 24B3LT Corsair A70 Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 20' 2ms 7G CoolerMaster 600w Sleeved Antec 300 Modded 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 PureTrak Stealth Corsair HS1A 
  hide details  
molino's pc
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 3Ghz 1.3v P5Q-Pro Turbo XFX HD5770 CF 950/1350 1.2v 4G DDR2 5-5-5-15 964Mhz 2.1v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Green 1TB/60G OCZ Vertex2 Asus 24B3LT Corsair A70 Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 20' 2ms 7G CoolerMaster 600w Sleeved Antec 300 Modded 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 PureTrak Stealth Corsair HS1A 
  hide details  
post #374 of 2836
any live video feeds? oh man...crymore! another devil dog!
post #375 of 2836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post
Now they are saying there possibly was a tsunami although it's unconfirmed. Scientists still trying to determine what all that wet stuff was that washed ashore.
And this contributes what to the conversation?
Singularity
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Z170-Deluxe GTX 770 SLI 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force LX Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Windows 10 Home Premium 3 x ASUS VX279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Corsair RM850i Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Corsair Sabre RGB 
  hide details  
Singularity
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Z170-Deluxe GTX 770 SLI 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force LX Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Windows 10 Home Premium 3 x ASUS VX279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Corsair RM850i Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Corsair Sabre RGB 
  hide details  
post #376 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
And I mean yes, it did travel quite a ways but even then it really wasn't a large hazard anywhere other than in the direct vicinity. Obviously it wasn't good but it seems to me that western Europe is still completely habitable.
I remember seeing that a few hundred farms in Wales still have to have their cattle checked with Geiger counters before they can be sold in the market. That was last year as well, over 20 years after Chernobyl.
post #377 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by molino View Post
umm this guy doesn't sound so convincing
post #378 of 2836
If it blows, wouldnt they have to evacuate entire Japan? Where to move so many people to, incase it happens?
Thor is here!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930@4GHZ 1.23Vcore :) Gigabyte X58A UD3R Zotac GTX 480 AMP!@850|2000 Corsair 6gb 1333 mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG DVD+Blu Ray Windows 7 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster P2350 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Mirror Corsair HX850 Watt Coolermaster HAF X Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Thor is here!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930@4GHZ 1.23Vcore :) Gigabyte X58A UD3R Zotac GTX 480 AMP!@850|2000 Corsair 6gb 1333 mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG DVD+Blu Ray Windows 7 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster P2350 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Mirror Corsair HX850 Watt Coolermaster HAF X Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
post #379 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaaaa View Post
If it blows, wouldnt they have to evacuate entire Japan? Where to move so many people to, incase it happens?
Bring them to America. Plenty of land. ... We could bring back vending machines I love Japan, you can get anything in a vending machine... even used underwear.
Edited by Krymore - 3/12/11 at 3:18pm
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
post #380 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krymore View Post
I dont belive it has melted down yet. Its on the brink of melt down.

To limit damage to the reactor core, Tokyo Electric Power Company began injecting sea water mixed with boron into the primary containment vessel in an operation that got under way Saturday night, IAEA said.

The use of sea water and boron was described as a "Hail Mary pass" by Robert Alvarez, senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies focused on energy policies and a former senior policy adviser to the U.S. secretary of energy.

Another expert said enough was known to conclude that Saturday's nuclear events in Japan rank high on the list of similar incidents. "If this accident stops right now it will already be one of the three worst accidents we have ever had at a nuclear power plant in the history of nuclear power," said Joseph Cirincione, an expert on nuclear materials and president of the U.S.-based Ploughshares Fund, a firm involved in security and peace funding.


So basically if the sea water dosent keep the temps down the reactor is going to blow.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
It isn't really at the brink either they were reporting the rods being at just over 100c a couple hours ago, full meltdown doesn't occur till 540c+. Partial meltdown is still a bad thing but they have quite a ways before it is anywhere near a global catastrophe.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Various] Japan Nuclear Emergency - Continuous Coverage of Damage and Radiation Risks