Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Xeon W3670 (i7 970) any good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xeon W3670 (i7 970) any good? - Page 2

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authie;12714844 
It will be ~8 fresh 6 core builds vs ~10 SB builds.

My current price list:

xeonw3670: 494
mobo: 170
ram: 122
psu: 77
hdd: 31
gpu: 27
case: 129
cooler: 58
= 1108 euro
x8= 8864

i7 2600k 255
ram: 171 (16gb, I need 12 so I might as well go for 16)
mobo: 160
case: 110
hdd: 31
gpu: 27
cooler: 58
psu: 50
= 862
x10= 8620

I am using Autodesk Maya 2011 for work purposes, namely animation and 3D rendering. The render I am using is Vray, takes advantage of all threads.

in this case, why not some industrial/quadro/firepro GPU's instead to offload the workload?
If it takes advantage of all threads, then get something with lots of threads

I would go for hexa cores vs SB at this time....but that's jsut me rolleyes.gif
post #12 of 29
Xeons will not play nice with desktop environment. If you are thinking of getting a xeon for your gaming needs, You are actually downgrading from an i7 comparable chip.
GOD MODE
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 970 4.60Ghz @ 1.456v GA-X58A-UD7 Visiontek HD 5870 Visiontek HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin D... 2X250gb SAMSUNG 840 Series SSD on RAID 0  Blueray Burner Kracken X60 
OSPowerCase
OSX 10.6.6/Win 7 Ultimate Ultra x4 1200 Watts Xigmatek Elysium 
  hide details  
Reply
GOD MODE
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 970 4.60Ghz @ 1.456v GA-X58A-UD7 Visiontek HD 5870 Visiontek HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin D... 2X250gb SAMSUNG 840 Series SSD on RAID 0  Blueray Burner Kracken X60 
OSPowerCase
OSX 10.6.6/Win 7 Ultimate Ultra x4 1200 Watts Xigmatek Elysium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie;12714928 
in this case, why not some industrial/quadro/firepro GPU's instead to offload the workload?
If it takes advantage of all threads, then get something with lots of threads

I would go for hexa cores vs SB at this time....but that's jsut me rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I have heavily researched GPU rendering for a long time, and the bottleneck of this way of rendering is that it is limited to the amount of memory on a single graphic card (not cards). There have been industrial triumphs with Gpu rendering such as Avatar I believe was rendered by a massive amount of Tesla GPU rigs, but it has been very discreet and that level of tech is not available to the general public yet.

There are whispers about Vray changing that though, allowing to share the memory between the GPU(s) and CPU memory. God knows when that's going to be though.

There is already a rendering app called Arion that uses both GPU and CPU to render but it's nothing but a big scam imho, especially for people like me who needs 12gb of memory on each render node.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static;12714939 
Xeons will not play nice with desktop environment. If you are thinking of getting a xeon for your gaming needs, You are actually downgrading from an i7 comparable chip.

Sorry, but you completely lost me there?

Maybe you meant the i7's wont play nice in a workstation environment?
If you are comparing counterpart x58 xeons and i7's then there should be no difference in gaming. The i7 2600k I believe is better at gaming however.
Edited by Authie - 3/13/11 at 8:34am
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 29
@Authie; As of now the W3670 will be the better buy. However, Ivy Bridge isn't out till the end of this year and we do not know for certain if the s1155 Ivy Bridge chips will be 6 or 8 cores so its not certain that if you got the Sandy Bridge P67 set-ups if you could just upgrade the cpu's at a later date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static;12714939 
Xeons will not play nice with desktop environment. If you are thinking of getting a xeon for your gaming needs, You are actually downgrading from an i7 comparable chip.

Wrong I have run Xeons in daily rigs since s775 and this is a load of bollocks if I ever saw it.

@1keith1 most boards will be compatable with the W3500's and W3600's although you may need a bios update for the W3600's (All 3 of the X58 boards I have had have not needed bios updates for Xeons nor did I ever bother checking for support oops!). For the dual QPI Xeons no not all boards are; some will others will need modding (in the case of the rev 1 Evga X58 boards it just shorting 2 contacts and moving one resistor)
Roger Rabbit
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3930k  Asus P9X79 Pro Evga 1080 FTW DT 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX at 2100MHZ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Acer Predator XB271HU Dell U2715H Ducky /w Cherry Black's Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Audnist MUX-1 > HD 600's 
  hide details  
Reply
Roger Rabbit
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3930k  Asus P9X79 Pro Evga 1080 FTW DT 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX at 2100MHZ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Acer Predator XB271HU Dell U2715H Ducky /w Cherry Black's Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Audnist MUX-1 > HD 600's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1keith1;12715018 
Sorry to get offtopic on this thread, I just wanted a quick answer. Are Xeon's compatible with all motherboards, like is the one the OP listed compatable with my motherboard, an Asus P6T deluxe?

The CPU support list for my motherboard doesn't have any Xeons.

I know for a fact that not all x58 boards can support all x58 xeons. However in your case, I believe the P6T Deluxe is virtually compatible with all x58 xeons as long as you have the latest BIOS. Don't take my word for it though, go to the Asus website support forums and ask them yourself, they will give you a concrete answer.

Hope that helps.

(I owned a P6t Deluxe v2 until a couple of days ago)
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authie;12714968 
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I have heavily researched GPU rendering for a long time, and the bottleneck of this way of rendering is that it is limited to the amount of memory on a single graphic card (not cards). There have been industrial triumphs with Gpu rendering such as Avatar I believe was rendered by a massive amount of Tesla GPU rigs, but it has been very discreet and that level of tech is not available to the general public yet.

There are whispers about Vray changing that though, allowing to share the memory between the GPU(s) and CPU memory. God knows when that's going to be though.

There is already a rendering app called Arion that uses both GPU and CPU to render but it's nothing but a big scam imho, especially for people like me who needs 12gb of memory on each render node.



Sorry, but you completely lost me there?

Maybe you meant the i7's wont play nice in a workstation environment?
If you are comparing counterpart x58 xeons and i7's then there should be no difference in gaming. The i7 2600k I believe is better at gaming however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck5000;12715077 
@Authie; As of now the W3670 will be the better buy. However, Ivy Bridge isn't out till the end of this year and we do not know for certain if the s1155 Ivy Bridge chips will be 6 or 8 cores so its not certain that if you got the Sandy Bridge P67 set-ups if you could just upgrade the cpu's at a later date.



Wrong I have run Xeons in daily rigs since s775 and this is a load of bollocks if I ever saw it.

@1keith1 most boards will be compatable with the W3500's and W3600's although you may need a bios update for the W3600's (All 3 of the X58 boards I have had have not needed bios updates for Xeons nor did I ever bother checking for support oops!). For the dual QPI Xeons no not all boards are; some will others will need modding (in the case of the rev 1 Evga X58 boards it just shorting 2 contacts and moving one resistor)

Intel Core i7 is a sixty-four-bit processor containing mainly four cores. Unlike Xeon, i7 is quite excellent for desktop PCs. It has a high-speed for multi-tasking applications and handles the computing demands of desktops well. It also provides a better virtualization experience with its HD Boost technology. This is why most gamers favor i7 over Xeon. Another reason is that, as of now, games don’t really work with 8-core. Most games still work better with 2-core.

Read here for the complete article

Thinking of running SR-2 with 2 Xeons? Think again
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9pynt6rbo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9pynt6rbo[/ame]
Edited by jethro_static - 3/13/11 at 8:54am
GOD MODE
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 970 4.60Ghz @ 1.456v GA-X58A-UD7 Visiontek HD 5870 Visiontek HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin D... 2X250gb SAMSUNG 840 Series SSD on RAID 0  Blueray Burner Kracken X60 
OSPowerCase
OSX 10.6.6/Win 7 Ultimate Ultra x4 1200 Watts Xigmatek Elysium 
  hide details  
Reply
GOD MODE
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 970 4.60Ghz @ 1.456v GA-X58A-UD7 Visiontek HD 5870 Visiontek HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin D... 2X250gb SAMSUNG 840 Series SSD on RAID 0  Blueray Burner Kracken X60 
OSPowerCase
OSX 10.6.6/Win 7 Ultimate Ultra x4 1200 Watts Xigmatek Elysium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck5000;12715077 
@Authie; As of now the W3670 will be the better buy. However, Ivy Bridge isn't out till the end of this year and we do not know for certain if the s1155 Ivy Bridge chips will be 6 or 8 cores so its not certain that if you got the Sandy Bridge P67 set-ups if you could just upgrade the cpu's at a later date.

Thank you Starbuck5000, this whole time I have been leaning towards the xeons and now I finally have the confidence to go with them. I was torn between the two for too long, its just too much money to be fooling around with.

On paper, according to cinebench power specs the i7 2600k's would have been slightly better, but I'm relatively sure that the w3670's will provide better stability and they will take up less space too. +Rep.

smile.gif I can't really wait until the end of the year, as I am on a deadline with my rendering. Heck, I have already spent a decent amount of dough on online rendering services because I thought it might be worth it to wait for bulldozer, but it seems that is too long for me to wait.
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static;12715155 
Intel Core i7 is a sixty-four-bit processor containing mainly four cores. Unlike Xeon, i7 is quite excellent for desktop PCs. It has a high-speed for multi-tasking applications and handles the computing demands of desktops well. It also provides a better virtualization experience with its HD Boost technology. This is why most gamers favor i7 over Xeon. Another reason is that, as of now, games don’t really work with 8-core. Most games still work better with 2-core.

Read here for the complete article

That article is also a load of bollocks. Fell off my chair is laughter while reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static;12715155 
Thinking of running SR-2 with 2 Xeons? Think again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9pynt6rbo

That was a software issue that FRAPS fixed in one of the release notes a while back they fixed the issue that fraps had that issue was more to do with the complications and .

check out some of the 3D benchmarking world records. Regardless of repesentative they are of real world games if Xeons where as weak as you say surely they wouldn't be able to keep up in games like envioments.
Roger Rabbit
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3930k  Asus P9X79 Pro Evga 1080 FTW DT 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX at 2100MHZ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Acer Predator XB271HU Dell U2715H Ducky /w Cherry Black's Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Audnist MUX-1 > HD 600's 
  hide details  
Reply
Roger Rabbit
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3930k  Asus P9X79 Pro Evga 1080 FTW DT 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX at 2100MHZ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Acer Predator XB271HU Dell U2715H Ducky /w Cherry Black's Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Audnist MUX-1 > HD 600's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static;12715155 
Intel Core i7 is a sixty-four-bit processor containing mainly four cores. Unlike Xeon, i7 is quite excellent for desktop PCs. It has a high-speed for multi-tasking applications and handles the computing demands of desktops well. It also provides a better virtualization experience with its HD Boost technology. This is why most gamers favor i7 over Xeon. Another reason is that, as of now, games don’t really work with 8-core. Most games still work better with 2-core.

Read here for the complete article

Thinking of running SR-2 with 2 Xeons? Think again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9pynt6rbo

HD boost technology? Never heard of it, and even if it does exist I kind of doubt it has any advantages in games. Do you mean turbo boost? Because xeons have those too, ya kno.

Also, I find it difficult to understand your supposed argument because you are not giving reference at all. Are you comparing Sandy bridge i7's to x58 xeons or what? If you are, yeah sure because SB is newer tech and can OC higher desktop apps are better. But we were never talking about using desktop apps, but workstation apps.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the SR2, however those applications do not even apply to me, please read the thread more thoroughly before you waste our time.
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gulftown Malta
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.25ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Asus 7990 12G Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Pro 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Silverstone Raven 3 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 29
According to that article is says a Dual core works best lachen.gif

So my E8400 is gonna be totally roxzor right jethro?
Black Pearl
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k 3103B297# 4.7ghz@1.408v AShitRock Z77 Extreme 4 (No.2) ATI Gigabyte 7870HD Crossfire 16GB Corsair XMS3/Kingston 1600mhz, 9-8-9-24-1T... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Green 1TB X2 (Boot/Storage), Seagate ... Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB (Backup) 2X Seagate Barracuda's 7200.7 60GB (Scratch) 2X Super Ritemaster CD/DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua NHC14 P/P 200mm Front, 200mm Top, 120mm Side, 120mm Exhau... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit G2220HD 21.5" BenQ at 1920X1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultmate BF3 Ediiton OCZ ZX 850w PSU HAF912A w 120mm Side fan Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Razer Goliathus Control Edition Corsair Vengeance 1300's/Logitech 530's Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-e Lamptron FC8 Fan controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Pearl
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k 3103B297# 4.7ghz@1.408v AShitRock Z77 Extreme 4 (No.2) ATI Gigabyte 7870HD Crossfire 16GB Corsair XMS3/Kingston 1600mhz, 9-8-9-24-1T... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Green 1TB X2 (Boot/Storage), Seagate ... Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB (Backup) 2X Seagate Barracuda's 7200.7 60GB (Scratch) 2X Super Ritemaster CD/DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua NHC14 P/P 200mm Front, 200mm Top, 120mm Side, 120mm Exhau... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit G2220HD 21.5" BenQ at 1920X1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultmate BF3 Ediiton OCZ ZX 850w PSU HAF912A w 120mm Side fan Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Razer Goliathus Control Edition Corsair Vengeance 1300's/Logitech 530's Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-e Lamptron FC8 Fan controller 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Xeon W3670 (i7 970) any good?