Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Phenom II 555 ~ Easiest way to go about OC'ing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phenom II 555 ~ Easiest way to go about OC'ing?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Okay so i've been here quite a while and have yet to really, well, OC...
I've been good with all my games as my 555 unlocked to a quad with no trouble, until i encountered StarCraft II (aka my new fav. game) being that the game only uses 2 cores. So instead of using all that wattage to run my CPU as a quad, i've been thinking of bumping back down to 2 cores and seeing if i can hit 3.6-4.0Ghz.

The thing is, i do know my CPU has an unlocked multiplier... so that should make things easier, right? My RAM is standard, straight out of the Hewlett Packard PC that begun this journey. . . So i don't want to have to mess with memory timings or any of that.

I'm also on air, with the stock AMD cooler at the moment. However it does stay cool in my room, even though HW Monitor reads my CPU at 23ºc idle and 49ºc load, does that give me much headroom?

Sorry i know i sound like a total noob right now, but Rep+ to the people who do take the time out of their night and help me!


Edited by HeartOfAHydra - 3/13/11 at 11:38pm
post #2 of 16

SCII actually uses ~3 (it doesn't fully utilize the 3rd core but it does gain some benefit).

My 555 hit 4GHz as a quad, but if you want to take the easier route, then dropping back to dual core is certainly an option. I'm not sure but it looks like you might be on stock cooling though? That's going to seriously hamper any OCing.

But anyway that's not your question. BlackEdition CPUs are unlocked multipliers, meaning to OC you need do nothing more than change the CPU-Multiplier and voila, you're overclocking (you'll probably need to change the CPU-voltage as well, but still...).

Since you're only changing your CPU multi it won't change your RAM timings or anything like that. Depending on how good your cooler is, and how high your OC manages, you might also look to OC your CPU-NB, phenoms find themselves happier with more throughput between the CPU and memory and that's what provides it. Often a good number to shoot for is 2600MHz, as yo ucan probably achieve that with default CPU-NB voltage.

So thems the barebones of it, Change CPU-Multi and CPU-Volt and you're good to go. Check your temps using HWMonitor to make sure nothing is going too crazy, and test with Prime95 and/or games for stability and enjoy your OCing.

BTW you should probably try to keep your temps under 55C under load, 60C is sort of redlining your CPU but still not the end of the world, just something that will make your chip very unhappy. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a better cooler. The

is only $25 on amazon atm and does a really bang up job. It will help your OC a lot
Edited by ocpokey - 3/14/11 at 12:00am
Bleeding Edge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 ASUS P8P67PRO AMD 5870x2 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 @ CL8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ADATA S599 64GB SSD + 2x 1TB Spinpoint (Raid 0) Windows 7 64Bit Dell 23" Razer Lycosa 
PowerCase
Seasonic X650 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Bleeding Edge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 ASUS P8P67PRO AMD 5870x2 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 @ CL8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ADATA S599 64GB SSD + 2x 1TB Spinpoint (Raid 0) Windows 7 64Bit Dell 23" Razer Lycosa 
PowerCase
Seasonic X650 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpokey View Post
SCII actually uses ~3 (it doesn't fully utilize the 3rd core but it does gain some benefit).

My 555 hit 4GHz as a quad, but if you want to take the easier route, then dropping back to dual core is certainly an option. I'm not sure but it looks like you might be on stock cooling though? That's going to seriously hamper any OCing.

But anyway that's not your question. BlackEdition CPUs are unlocked multipliers, meaning to OC you need do nothing more than change the CPU-Multiplier and voila, you're overclocking (you'll probably need to change the CPU-voltage as well, but still...).

Since you're only changing your CPU multi it won't change your RAM timings or anything like that. Depending on how good your cooler is, and how high your OC manages, you might also look to OC your CPU-NB, phenoms find themselves happier with more throughput between the CPU and memory and that's what provides it. Often a good number to shoot for is 2600MHz, as yo ucan probably achieve that with default CPU-NB voltage.

So thems the barebones of it, Change CPU-Multi and CPU-Volt and you're good to go. Check your temps using HWMonitor to make sure nothing is going too crazy, and test with Prime95 and/or games for stability and enjoy your OCing.

BTW you should probably try to keep your temps under 55C under load, 60C is sort of redlining your CPU but still not the end of the world, just something that will make your chip very unhappy. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a better cooler. The Hyper212 is only $25 on amazon atm and does a really bang up job. It will help your OC a lot
Awesome advice, Rep++++!

That doesn't sound tough at all, but right when you said to shoot for 2.6 GHz did you mean 3.6GHz by chance? In which case i'd just bump the multi from 16x to 18x, right?

Also, i would like to OC it in Quad-mode (as i do play other games that utilize them) and as i didn't know that SCII uses a third core! However someone told me my motherboard's mosfets are under fire and i'm pushing it as a Quad (going from an 85watt proc to a ... double 85watt i guess? according to HWMonitor) so if i have to bump it back down that'd be fine.

Also, is that cooler or one similiar on NewEgg by chance? I use PayPal so i hate amazong

Again, thanks you Sir!
Edited by HeartOfAHydra - 3/14/11 at 12:13am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartOfAHydra View Post
However someone told me my motherboard's mosfets are under fire and i'm pushing it as a Quad (going from an 85watt proc to a ... double 85watt i guess? according to HWMonitor) so if i have to bump it back down that'd be fine.
Indeed, From what I gather your motherboard only appears to be a 4+1 power-phase meaning it lacks the ability of powering a cpu load of that caliber. My reccomendation would be to just shoot for ~4.0 on 2 cores, staying under 1.5v core voltage. The X4's are a 125 watt cpu out of the box.

I run my dual core @ 4.0 with the OEM cooler from the Phenom X4, its currently @25 C and never gets above 40.
Edited by Tw34k - 3/14/11 at 12:28am
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
I am also a noob at this, but I will try my best to help!

As stated above, the Hyper 212 Plus is a fantastic cooler. Extremely efficient at cooling! I purchased one of them earlier today believe it or not, since a lot of people recommended it. I also applied some Arctic Silver 5 compound (best compound on the market) and my load temps dropped from 55-60 to 40-45!!!

I also highly recommend the Vantec Spectrum GPU cooler. This isn't just your average GPU cooler, it is inserted into a PCI slot and reduces your GPU temp like crazy! It has 2 70mm fans and a beautiful blue LED. I noticed a 10 degree drop in temperature and it did affect my case overall. I recommend this if you plan on OCing your GPU as well. ONLY $16.99 TOO!

Again, I am pretty much a noob, but my PC doesn't even make any more noise when I play Crysis. It used to be loud as hell, but with all this new stuff I can play Crysis on my 5770 at high settings and my PC noise barely increases. Good luck with OCing!

I recommend MSI Afterburner or AMD Overdrive to overclock, as both are great.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
Indeed, From what I gather your motherboard only appears to be a 4+1 power-phase meaning it lacks the ability of powering a cpu load of that caliber. My reccomendation would be to just shoot for ~4.0 on 2 cores, staying under 1.5v core voltage. The X4's are a 125 watt cpu out of the box.

I run my dual core @ 4.0 with the OEM cooler from the Phenom X4, its currently @25 C and never gets above 40.
Well, i had ran it as a quad-core for about a month with no real issues whatsoever. Although my mobo did read it as 'this CPU is not supported' every time i'd boot, i just pressed F1 to continue and go on about my day. However i don't like playing with fire... because eventually i know i will get burned.

That's great advice though, how the heck you stay under 40ºc with the OEM cooler though is beyond me

I would really like to hit 4.0 GHz as you stated, do you think 1.5v core is too much?

Also, i just had a peek in my BIOS and couldn't find a multiplier anywhere to save... my... life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF
I am also a noob at this, but I will try my best to help!

As stated above, the Hyper 212 Plus is a fantastic cooler. Extremely efficient at cooling! I purchased one of them earlier today believe it or not, since a lot of people recommended it. I also applied some Arctic Silver 5 compound (best compound on the market) and my load temps dropped from 55-60 to 40-45!!!

I also highly recommend the Vantec Spectrum GPU cooler. This isn't just your average GPU cooler, it is inserted into a PCI slot and reduces your GPU temp like crazy! It has 2 70mm fans and a beautiful blue LED. I noticed a 10 degree drop in temperature and it did affect my case overall. I recommend this if you plan on OCing your GPU as well. ONLY $16.99 TOO!

Again, I am pretty much a noob, but my PC doesn't even make any more noise when I play Crysis. It used to be loud as hell, but with all this new stuff I can play Crysis on my 5770 at high settings and my PC noise barely increases. Good luck with OCing!

I recommend MSI Afterburner or AMD Overdrive to overclock, as both are great.
Very interesting! I've actually been having problems OC'ing my GPU so i'm gonna have to look into that $17 PCI cooler you recommended... sounds awesome!
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartOfAHydra View Post
Awesome advice, Rep++++!

That doesn't sound tough at all, but right when you said to shoot for 2.6 GHz did you mean 3.6GHz by chance? In which case i'd just bump the multi from 16x to 18x, right?

Also, i would like to OC it in Quad-mode (as i do play other games that utilize them) and as i didn't know that SCII uses a third core! However someone told me my motherboard's mosfets are under fire and i'm pushing it as a Quad (going from an 85watt proc to a ... double 85watt i guess? according to HWMonitor) so if i have to bump it back down that'd be fine.

Also, is that cooler or one similiar on NewEgg by chance? I use PayPal so i hate amazong

Again, thanks you Sir!
When I said 2.6GHz I was referring to CPU-NB, which is your memory controller. Should have made that a little more clear.

The CPU will depend on your temps and chip, 4.0 is achievable, but as some people mentioned your board might be a bit problematic. MOSFETS have been a subject of much debate of late, and boards dying due to dead mosfets are never fun. If you're worried its definitely a good idea to throttle down to 2cores (the diff between 125W and 95W is surprisingly high especially when you start to OC) or buy some mosfet coolers and get a nice fan blowing on your mobo.
Bleeding Edge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 ASUS P8P67PRO AMD 5870x2 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 @ CL8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ADATA S599 64GB SSD + 2x 1TB Spinpoint (Raid 0) Windows 7 64Bit Dell 23" Razer Lycosa 
PowerCase
Seasonic X650 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Bleeding Edge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 ASUS P8P67PRO AMD 5870x2 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 @ CL8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ADATA S599 64GB SSD + 2x 1TB Spinpoint (Raid 0) Windows 7 64Bit Dell 23" Razer Lycosa 
PowerCase
Seasonic X650 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartOfAHydra View Post
Well, i had ran it as a quad-core for about a month with no real issues whatsoever. Although my mobo did read it as 'this CPU is not supported' every time i'd boot, i just pressed F1 to continue and go on about my day. However i don't like playing with fire... because eventually i know i will get burned.

That's great advice though, how the heck you stay under 40ºc with the OEM cooler though is beyond me

I would really like to hit 4.0 GHz as you stated, do you think 1.5v core is too much?

Also, i just had a peek in my BIOS and couldn't find a multiplier anywhere to save... my... life.
There is a bit of difference in the X2 vs X4 stock coolers. Luckily my friend went with a H50 and let me use the better oem sink from his quad. Also having case airflow set up properly can have drastic effects on the temps of everything inside.

Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
There is a bit of difference in the X2 vs X4 stock coolers. Luckily my friend went with a H50 and let me use the better oem sink from his quad. Also having case airflow set up properly can have drastic effects on the temps of everything inside.

Ooo very nice description pic! Yeah i have 4 slots for fans on the side of my case that are as yet an unexpressed poential. I should get em filled with fans ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpokey
When I said 2.6GHz I was referring to CPU-NB, which is your memory controller. Should have made that a little more clear.

The CPU will depend on your temps and chip, 4.0 is achievable, but as some people mentioned your board might be a bit problematic. MOSFETS have been a subject of much debate of late, and boards dying due to dead mosfets are never fun. If you're worried its definitely a good idea to throttle down to 2cores (the diff between 125W and 95W is surprisingly high especially when you start to OC) or buy some mosfet coolers and get a nice fan blowing on your mobo.
So what's the first step i should take? I dropped down to 2 cores, but i now have no idea where the multiplier option is in my BIOS... searched high and low
post #10 of 16
I;ve never used your board, but I think I found a screenie of your bios.

Is there an "Advanced" tab under your bios? And under it should say "Configure system frequency/voltage".

Then CPU Overclocking needs to be manual, and I believe your option says "Processor Frequency Multiplier", or CPU Multiplier, it should have some name along those lines. Anywho, set that to the value you want, like x18 for 3.6ghz or what have you, and CPU Overvoltage will either have a number or a value above stock, not sure which. For a conservative start try 1.35V Save and see if your machine will post.

Again sorry if these are not the precisely correct names, I haven't used an ASUS in like 7 or 8 years.
Bleeding Edge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 ASUS P8P67PRO AMD 5870x2 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 @ CL8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ADATA S599 64GB SSD + 2x 1TB Spinpoint (Raid 0) Windows 7 64Bit Dell 23" Razer Lycosa 
PowerCase
Seasonic X650 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Bleeding Edge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 ASUS P8P67PRO AMD 5870x2 8GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 @ CL8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ADATA S599 64GB SSD + 2x 1TB Spinpoint (Raid 0) Windows 7 64Bit Dell 23" Razer Lycosa 
PowerCase
Seasonic X650 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Phenom II 555 ~ Easiest way to go about OC'ing?