Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Anyone have any bad experiences with water cooling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone have any bad experiences with water cooling?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Like did you ever mess something up in your PC pretty badly?
post #2 of 33
Only if you half-ass your installs and don't take your time with tubing, fittings, filling, etc.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix_1011 View Post
Only if you half-ass your installs and don't take your time with tubing, fittings, filling, etc.
That will be a major problem for me then if I ever decide to do watercooling since I am REALLY damn lazy.
post #4 of 33
Sounds like you just answered your own questions. Good luck.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 33
Friend of mine turned upto i41 (UK LAN event) last year having installed his loop the night before.

Big mistake, much luls were had. He bought some bad plastic comp fittings to save a few £ and heres what it cost him.

3 x Mainboard, two socket 775 and one 1366, yes he bought another at the event and killed that one too because the comp fittings "were fine". Many told you so luls were had.

1 x Q9550

1 x I7 950 He used it as an excuse to upgrade at the event and managed to leak into his brand new CPU

He managed to get his rig working for about 2 days of the 4 day event he paid £100+ to attend.

Then when he got home he tried to refit the same loop and trashed the system again.
Chairless
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 Asus P6T Deluxe GTX 480 12GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Various = 3TB CD / DVD RW Win 7 Ultimate x64 Iiyama 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000W 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
Chairless
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 Asus P6T Deluxe GTX 480 12GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Various = 3TB CD / DVD RW Win 7 Ultimate x64 Iiyama 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair HX1000W 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 33
I had a bad experience but with no bad out comes. I had a Thermaltake water kit and the pump went out which caused acrylic on the cpu block to crack. Luckily there was no leakage. This was after many years of usage so Im not gonna bash TT. I'll never own a waterblock with an acrylic top again thats for sure.
House heater
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W5580 @ 4GHz Foxconn Bloodrage GTI Zotac GTX 980Ti ArcticStorm 12GB Corsair 2000MHz @ 1444MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 LG blu-ray burner Corsair H80 Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Hisense 55" 4k tv Logitech MX5500 Corsair 850w 
CaseMouse
CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) 
  hide details  
Reply
House heater
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W5580 @ 4GHz Foxconn Bloodrage GTI Zotac GTX 980Ti ArcticStorm 12GB Corsair 2000MHz @ 1444MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 LG blu-ray burner Corsair H80 Win7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Hisense 55" 4k tv Logitech MX5500 Corsair 850w 
CaseMouse
CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post
That will be a major problem for me then if I ever decide to do watercooling since I am REALLY damn lazy.
Well just force yourself to take the time, because if you don't it'll cost you time and money. I've personally never had any disasters happen other then a small leak due to my ghetto res
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Friend of mine turned upto i41 (UK LAN event) last year having installed his loop the night before.

Big mistake, much luls were had. He bought some bad plastic comp fittings to save a few £ and heres what it cost him.

3 x Mainboard, two socket 775 and one 1366, yes he bought another at the event and killed that one too because the comp fittings "were fine". Many told you so luls were had.

1 x Q9550

1 x I7 950 He used it as an excuse to upgrade at the event and managed to leak into his brand new CPU

He managed to get his rig working for about 2 days of the 4 day event he paid £100+ to attend.

Then when he got home he tried to refit the same loop and trashed the system again.
Yes...I agree with your message of 'much lulz'. Seems like he didn't know what he was doing.
Quote:
I had a Thermaltake water kit and the pump went out which caused acrylic on the cpu block to crack. Luckily there was no leakage. This was after many years of usage so Im not gonna bash TT. I'll never own a waterblock with an acrylic top again thats for sure.
I've had 2 friends use TT (against my recommendations, and both experienced pump failures. Acrylic tops don't typically crack from pump failure, but it's likely yours cracked due to the pump failure and your CPU getting hot...?
Quote:
Well just force yourself to take the time, because if you don't it'll cost you time and money
The simplest advice is typically the best.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 33
I had a bad experience. While mounting my EK Supreme HF Nickel, my hand slipped and the whole weight of it fell on two of the CAPs between the CPU mount and the GPU PCI slot. Killed the first PCIe slot. So new mobo.

Other than that, water cooling has been the most fun since I built my own cards for my Apple IIe and built blue boxes for phreaking.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairless View Post
Friend of mine turned upto i41 (UK LAN event) last year having installed his loop the night before.

Big mistake, much luls were had. He bought some bad plastic comp fittings to save a few £ and heres what it cost him.

3 x Mainboard, two socket 775 and one 1366, yes he bought another at the event and killed that one too because the comp fittings "were fine". Many told you so luls were had.

1 x Q9550

1 x I7 950 He used it as an excuse to upgrade at the event and managed to leak into his brand new CPU

He managed to get his rig working for about 2 days of the 4 day event he paid £100+ to attend.

Then when he got home he tried to refit the same loop and trashed the system again.

Now that is one stubborn dude!
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Anyone have any bad experiences with water cooling?