Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Recommendations for thinning Win XP on a Netbook?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations for thinning Win XP on a Netbook?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I just finished installing XP Home Edition (what the netbook is licensed for) on an Acer Aspire D150. I put in 2GB of RAM and installed a 40GB HD (Travelstar) until I can replace the original drive it came with (went bad).

Please recommend sites/specific knowledge of what to thin out and/or how to thin out Windows XP so this little Atom CPU will have a little room to breathe!

Thanks ~

Installing all the drivers for components now... please help!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
If your using service pack 3 then there is a search built into the os that runs in the background. This however uses alot of processor power, if you are using a wireless network you can also disable your LAN port drivers. Using a low profile antivirus like ESET is a good way to shave processing. If you want windows to boot up and load programs faster there are alot of reg hacks that can greately improve the time needed to get into windows
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal777 View Post
If your using service pack 3 then there is a search built into the os that runs in the background. This however uses alot of processor power, if you are using a wireless network you can also disable your LAN port drivers. Using a low profile antivirus like ESET is a good way to shave processing. If you want windows to boot up and load programs faster there are alot of reg hacks that can greately improve the time needed to get into windows
Do you have any web links to what you recommend? I know how to disable the LAN drivers, how to stop search (won't even install it once I do finish downloading/installing Windows updates).

Would you say MSE is light enough for a netbook?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
The atom already has room to breathe. With 2GB of RAM, you should be running with no issues. I run Windows 7 on an Atom N280 with 1 GB of RAM, with a larger hard disk, but the majority of that is media.
Explain the issues you are having, and where the slow downs are occuring, I would love to help.
You can easily remove all of the games and the bulk of windows fairly easily, though you will need to manually install ALL drivers, and finding printer drivers will be a little more of a hastle.
For sale
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 Asus P6T Deluxe Asus GTX460 TOP 768mb G Skill ECO 1600 CAS7 1.35V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Vertex 60 GB raid[0] Asus DVDRW W7,Ubuntu 2 xAsus VH236H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Razer Ultra X3 1000W HAF 932 My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
For sale
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 Asus P6T Deluxe Asus GTX460 TOP 768mb G Skill ECO 1600 CAS7 1.35V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Vertex 60 GB raid[0] Asus DVDRW W7,Ubuntu 2 xAsus VH236H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Razer Ultra X3 1000W HAF 932 My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdolphin View Post
The atom already has room to breathe. With 2GB of RAM, you should be running with no issues. I run Windows 7 on an Atom N280 with 1 GB of RAM, with a larger hard disk, but the majority of that is media.
Explain the issues you are having, and where the slow downs are occuring, I would love to help.
You can easily remove all of the games and the bulk of windows fairly easily, though you will need to manually install ALL drivers, and finding printer drivers will be a little more of a hastle.
I'm currently having no particular issues. I just want to thin out XP as much as possible so it's as smooth as possible. I'm still installing base drivers for everything (manually). Almost done.

I know I'll probably consult BlackViper's website about services and things, but I'm just asking the community here for any extra advice.

This machine won't be for personal use but for resale. I may end up buying it when I'm done with it, but not sure yet. Want to test it out tonight and see if I like it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Ive got a n550 atom and man it just doesnt sweat when gaming on it hah
XP for the win yes seriously still use it to this day on my other laptops
my netbook though is running ultimate win7 32bit with ease

But why do you want winxp to be so light its already light enough

or why not go to linux i know this is the windows forum but still linux is sooo effing light that dont even have to slim it down to make it any smoother


blackviper list is pretty nice for xp it gets rid of alot of useless things youll probally never use

just make sure when you use that site do a backup first before anything to make sure you will want to keep those settings that you change and make sure you read everything that he says is safe and barebone to disable

a word of advice your computer is not going to be any better with xp on it then with say win7
the gaming is not meant to be on a netbook lol although you can run neverwinter nights halo day of defeat call of duty and if you have a nicer graphics card (got the nvidia ion newest one lol ) it will run crysis on lowest settings hahah tested yes it works

i also have a ssd in it for 5hits and giggles also have 8 gigs of sd memory for all my iso games so its always loaded on my virtual drives
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin2free View Post
Ive got a n550 atom and man it just doesnt sweat when gaming on it hah
XP for the win yes seriously still use it to this day on my other laptops
my netbook though is running ultimate win7 32bit with ease

But why do you want winxp to be so light its already light enough

or why not go to linux i know this is the windows forum but still linux is sooo effing light that dont even have to slim it down to make it any smoother


blackviper list is pretty nice for xp it gets rid of alot of useless things youll probally never use

just make sure when you use that site do a backup first before anything to make sure you will want to keep those settings that you change and make sure you read everything that he says is safe and barebone to disable

a word of advice your computer is not going to be any better with xp on it then with say win7
the gaming is not meant to be on a netbook lol although you can run neverwinter nights halo day of defeat call of duty and if you have a nicer graphics card (got the nvidia ion newest one lol ) it will run crysis on lowest settings hahah tested yes it works

i also have a ssd in it for 5hits and giggles also have 8 gigs of sd memory for all my iso games so its always loaded on my virtual drives
Well I appreciate your trying to drop advice on me but I think you completely disregarded most of my posts.

A) It's not that fast on XP as it is, because it's the D150. Not very fast. Intel Atom N270, integrated Intel video, max 2GB of memory, definitely not worth putting an SSD in for the price of an SSD.

Plus we use parts we have where I work to build, we don't buy 'em and resell.

Thanks anyways though -
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
http://www.blackviper.com/2002/04/17...-super-tweaks/

Do BV's super tweaks, then turn off unnecessary services using his guide and you should be good to go. Even Win7 runs really well on a netbook with his recommendations.
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheyster View Post
http://www.blackviper.com/2002/04/17...-super-tweaks/

Do BV's super tweaks, then turn off unnecessary services using his guide and you should be good to go. Even Win7 runs really well on a netbook with his recommendations.
Thanks for the super tweaks link, I've never seen it before. I have used Tweak Hound before though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Recommendations for thinning Win XP on a Netbook?