New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 550 anyone - Page 4  

post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
It's ironic you misspelled "arguement" ... because it really isn't valid at all.

I didn't build my argument around an HD5770 being faster for folding. Go read my first post.
Relax yourself, forgetting to drop the "e" in argument is a very common spelling mistake.

You are trolling now (trying to pick at little things).

I agree with your point about the 550 being a let down but don't escalate a situation.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenon II 965 BE @ 3.8ghz Asus M4A785TD-V GTX 560ti Twin Frorz 2 Gold edition @ 0.95GHz 6GB DDR3 (4gb corsair, 2gb HyperX) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Samsung DVDrw Windows 7 premium 64bit 32" sony kdlv5550 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Reclusa 550w OCZ Sharkoon rush Fireglider 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenon II 965 BE @ 3.8ghz Asus M4A785TD-V GTX 560ti Twin Frorz 2 Gold edition @ 0.95GHz 6GB DDR3 (4gb corsair, 2gb HyperX) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Samsung DVDrw Windows 7 premium 64bit 32" sony kdlv5550 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Reclusa 550w OCZ Sharkoon rush Fireglider 
  hide details  
post #32 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
threatening to fold for "someone else"

real mature man
When non-folders come into the forum to be arogant punks, it makes me not want to be part of it anymore. This little group of kids who thinks that the 550 is the worst card ever manufactured hasn't even completed 10 WU's between the whole of them. This tpi2007 hasn't done one thing to forward the conversation other than point out my less than adequate typing/spelling skills.

I don't go into the gamerz forum for just this reason, they don't seem to understand why anyone would use hardware to fold...
post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypc View Post
Relax yourself, forgetting to drop the "e" in argument is a very common spelling mistake.

You are trolling now (trying to pick at little things).

I agree with your point about the 550 being a let down but don't escalate a situation.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the one picking on little things to make a point is you.

I wasn't picking on his misspelling and it's unfortunate you didn't see what I meant. I do lots of spelling errors all the time and have to edit my posts frequently to correct them; that is not the point nor was ever the point.

I was just pointing out the little irony - and don't make it more than it really is -, that he misspelled the exact word that is at stake here. He didn't have a point/valid argument. Do you understand now ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by mike44njdevils View Post
When non-folders come into the forum to be arogant punks, it makes me not want to be part of it anymore. This little group of kids who thinks that the 550 is the worst card ever manufactured hasn't even completed 10 WU's between the whole of them. This tpi2007 hasn't done one thing to forward the conversation other than point out my less than adequate typing/spelling skills.

I don't go into the gamerz forum for just this reason, they don't seem to understand why anyone would use hardware to fold...

You on the other hand pointed out that the 550 has a nice princing and that is a wholly incorrect argument, and if you had read the review over at Anandtech, you would know that not only is the card overpriced, it also has a problem/bug with CUDA - that Nvidia has already acknowledged, which affects the amount of memory it can access right now.

So, yes, it might be a good choice in the future when the price comes down and the bugs are ironed out, but it is not a good choice now, especially while you can still buy a Geforce GTX460 768MB for the same price.

The problem with your line of argumentation is that you just resort to name calling instead of providing a useful discussion with facts, such as the ones pointed out by another user who provided graphs.

And here is another graph for you:





P.S. I don't know how old you are, but calling people indiscriminately "arrogant punks" and "little group of kids" speaks volumes about your complete carelessness about facts, not mention maintaining a minimum level of decency when talking to people you don't know from anywhere, nor how old they are.
Edited by tpi2007 - 3/15/11 at 4:34pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
post #34 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
The problem with your line of argumentation is that you just resort to name calling instead of providing a useful discussion with facts, such as the ones pointed out by another user who provided graphs.
So my point about this being a FOLDING forum withstanding, I'm not the one who immediately made a post about "crappy card" "5770 is faster better"...in a folding forum.

I didn't post this in the NVIDIA/Gaming/General Hardforum for the reason(s) you and your little band are proving. I don't care about graphs, I care about finishing WU's. If you want to talk about gaming/benching, I'll bow out as it is definitely not my area of expertise.

If you can't take name calling, get off the interweb

Based on your graph, the 460 out performs the 550 by approx 10%-15%, at the same price level (since my argument about added heat/power is null and void according to the folding guru here). So, 336 cores is approx 35% more than 192 cores, so, by your guys' infinite wisdom, the 460 is a waste...
Edited by mike44njdevils - 3/15/11 at 4:37pm
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike44njdevils View Post
So my point about this being a FOLDING forum withstanding, I'm not the one who immediately made a post about "crappy card" "5770 is faster better"...in a folding forum.

I didn't post this in the NVIDIA/Gaming/General Hardforum for the reason(s) you and your little band are proving. I don't care about graphs, I care about finishing WU's. If you want to talk about gaming/benching, I'll bow out as it is definitely not my area of expertise.

If you can't take name calling, get off the interweb


1. For the SECOND TIME, I DID NOT post anything about an HD 5770 being better in folding! Get over it!

2. Did you read the graph at the end of my post ? The one from Anandtech that shows that even the factory overclocked GTX550 performs WORSE than the same price, and stock clocked GTX460 in the FOLDING test ?

3. If you don't know how to control yourself and follow the forum rules about being polite and not gratuitously calling people names, YOU get off the interweb.
Edited by tpi2007 - 3/15/11 at 4:56pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
1. For the SECOND TIME, I DID NOT post anything about an HD 5770 being better in folding! Get over it!

2. Did you read the graph at the end of my post ? The one from Anandtech that shows the GTX550 performing WORSE than the same price GTX460 in the FOLDING test ?

3. If you don't know how to control yourself and follow the forum rules about being polite and not gratuitously calling people names, YOU get off the interweb.
That graph is nice (and relevant) to see. So basically if we can get this card down around the $110 range it would be a decent folding choice. This is assuming the GTS 450's and GTX 460's prices don't drop significantly. I'm wondering how much OC headroom is on this card. If you can squeeze a good OC out of it as well--it might put up a real nice fight for PPD/$ king (compared to 450, 460). Looks like at stock it will be getting ~9.5k PPD (guessing, based on my stock clocked GTS 450's (1550 shader I believe) getting about 8.5k average. If you can squeeze another ~10-15% we could be looking at 11k PPD--and for $100-110 that would be awesome.

Really though, the market at this $$$ range seems to be getting a bit crowded. GTS 450, 550 ti, GTX 460 (assuming a 550 ti price drop) would all be able to be bought for within ~$25 of each other.

And I think mike44njdevils is referring to the first comment posted how someone immediately compared this card to the 5770 (which makes no sense for this forum currently). It wasn't you.
post #37 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
1. For the SECOND TIME, I DID NOT post anything about an HD 5770 being better in folding! Get over it!
Answered above. The thread became hostile after the first post. You came in and stirred the coals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
2. Did you read the graph at the end of my post ? The one from Anandtech that shows that even the factory overclocked GTX550 performs WORSE than the same price, and stock clocked GTX460 in the FOLDING test ?
What about on a WU to WU basis? A synthetic folding benchmark is not real world folding...my 450's, technically, get more PPD than my 460 since I have to shut the 460 down when I play what few games I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
3. If you don't know how to control yourself and follow the forum rules about being polite and not gratuitously calling people names, YOU get off the interweb.
So, you come into a thread I started, nitpick the only bad thing I said (price), stir up trouble, then reference TOS when I use some kindergarden banter? Wow. Did you remember to report me?

The fact is, a LOT of things derailed this post from the get go. Even the 2nd post just being "crappy card crappy price" would not have gotten me on my soapbox...I'm not going to lock it, but I'm sure someone will
post #38 of 60
They'll call anything a GTX these days won't they?
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
post #39 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
They'll call anything a GTX these days won't they?
Been trying to figure that out as well... Mreh, numbers/letters mean nothing....
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike44njdevils View Post
Answered above. The thread became hostile after the first post. You came in and stirred the coals.


What about on a WU to WU basis? A synthetic folding benchmark is not real world folding...my 450's, technically, get more PPD than my 460 since I have to shut the 460 down when I play what few games I do.


So, you come into a thread I started, nitpick the only bad thing I said (price), stir up trouble, then reference TOS when I use some kindergarden banter? Wow. Did you remember to report me?

The fact is, a LOT of things derailed this post from the get go. Even the 2nd post just being "crappy card crappy price" would not have gotten me on my soapbox...I'm not going to lock it, but I'm sure someone will

Stir the coals ? I was just giving my opinion, which as a matter of fact, seems to be opposite of yours, and is actually based on facts. If you can't take THAT, then you should really get out of the forums. Instead you resort to gratuitous name calling, which is as low as you get when you run out of arguments. And nowhere did I say anything about the HD5770 as you reckon, so if you can't separate your hostility towards the user who posted that and everybody else, it's your problem.

Now if you say you have both a GTS450 and a GTX460, why don't you do some real world tests then and post them here ? THAT would be useful. And overclocked results from the GTS450 would be useful too, so as to get near of what a GTX550 at stock can do. It's not a perfect test either, but at least it's something.


What I've always said is that - and this is the main argument you always fail to acknowledge - the whole point of a card being good or not relates to what it can do, at what price and what are the current alternatives.

Your argument in the first post about price was wrong -and that is not nitpicking, as so was everything else you didn't even mention, but someone else pointed out for you, like the existence of a GTX460 768MB at the same price, that makes less noise, less heat, has better performance per watt ,and better overall performance, including CUDA.

So, the final answer is: NO, the GTX 550 is not currently a good card to consider. Maybe later, at a better, lower, price, and/or when you can't find a GTX460 768MB anymore. I think you should agree with this, because, unless you prove otherwise, it's a fact based on the current reviews.


As to the rest of your post, your depreciation of your own insults is near ridiculous. Is that a way to set aside your own responsibility in what you said ? Now it's only kindergarten banter ? Ok, I thought those kinds of things should remain in the Kindergarten, but, apparently, judging by your own words, you are being childish so maybe it makes sense.

No, I did not report you, but maybe I should. Just because you started the thread, which you like to point out, does not mean you own the forum nor are allowed to disrespect the TOS. If you like to keep going with that rant, the thread is all yours, enjoy your little corner of power LOL.

If you can't take an opinion contrary to yours, just refrain from ranting, it's healthier for everybody.
Edited by tpi2007 - 3/15/11 at 6:52pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
This thread is locked