Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › New to SSD's, help me get it going plz!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New to SSD's, help me get it going plz!

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hey Guys,

I am ready for a new upgrade and am thinking of replacing my velociraptor 300 gig with a C300 64 gig from Microcenter, they are only 119 there in store.

My motherboard has Native 6.0gb SATA so that's a must for me in a SSD since I can actually use it now, plus it's a good price for a well regarded SSD.

I used my Velociraptor as my only drive for a while but it filled up quick and I got sick of fighting it for space so I added a 1 TB WD Black drive as storage and use it to back up all my music and run my games from it as well as steam goodness and it's working well. I use the Velociraptor now as only a boot drive and all the small apps I use are installed on it such as Fraps, Precision, CCleaner etc.

I have read the sticky tutorials briefly on how to set it up but they suggest starting with both drives wiped and rebuilding your setup..... I just recently got my Black set up for storage how I like and am not really able to back all this up and don't wanna bother with it all again, how can I basically just remove my Velociraptor and add the SSD and install a fresh copy of windows and incorporate this with my Black drive?

Some of the things I would need to do is figure out how to have my music stored on my Black drive but play through Windows Media Player on the SSD, set up a shortcut to open Steam from my SSD and also rebuild the random game data that is kept in My Documents on a boot drive etc....

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can easily do all this? I really want to enjoy the quick boot up and blazing fast windows experience I hear about associated with an SSD as Boot.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Gene Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX Lite On Blu-Ray/DVD Burner Custom CPU loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro X64 Crossover 2795 QHD Logitech Keyboard K120 Corsair AX 850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Arc Mini Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steelseries 9HD Schiit Bifrost Uber, Asgard 2, KRK Systems Roki... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Gene Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX Lite On Blu-Ray/DVD Burner Custom CPU loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro X64 Crossover 2795 QHD Logitech Keyboard K120 Corsair AX 850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Arc Mini Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steelseries 9HD Schiit Bifrost Uber, Asgard 2, KRK Systems Roki... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
I am ready for a new upgrade and am thinking of replacing my velociraptor 300 gig with a C300 64 gig from Microcenter, they are only 119 there in store.
Nice deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
I have read the sticky tutorials briefly on how to set it up but they suggest starting with both drives wiped and rebuilding your setup..... I just recently got my Black set up for storage how I like and am not really able to back all this up and don't wanna bother with it all again, how can I basically just remove my Velociraptor and add the SSD and install a fresh copy of windows and incorporate this with my Black drive?
It is the most ideal to wipe both drivers and starting fresh. It eliminates clutter nd you can start out clean instead of trying to clean a messy drive. It's not absolutely necessary to wipe them both (I personally did not when I got an SSD) but it would be a good idea.

If you elect to not wipe the drives, yes, you can install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD and everything will be fine. Your Black data drive will not be affected (since there is no OS on it). When installing Windows just make sure to unplug all drives except your SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
Some of the things I would need to do is figure out how to have my music stored on my Black drive but play through Windows Media Player on the SSD, set up a shortcut to open Steam from my SSD and also rebuild the random game data that is kept in My Documents on a boot drive etc....
All your main core programs (Windows media player, explorer, etc etc) will get installed on your SSD. If you trying to open music stored on your Black it will be able to play through Windows Media Player on the SSD. It's just reading data off a different drive.

To install applications to the Black, just change the install directory during program installation and you will be able to run it off that drive.

For example, I have a 320gb applications drive, 1tb storage drive, and a 80gb SSD OS drive. Everything works in conjuction with one another.

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Kiwiasian, thanx!

You answered alot of questions, I plan to simply remove the Velociraptor I use as boot now and replace it with the SSD, so I will still only be using to devices, the SSD for boot and to install small applications to and then the Black for storing and accessing all my games, music, pictures and Steam.

I deff don't want to wipe my Black drive because it is a recent install and was just setup recently, it's still very orderly and tidy and would just be a hassle to back up and wipe and redownload all my steam games again! yikes!

So I do understand that with a fresh Windows install to the new SSD that Media Player and all those apps will be tied to the SSD since they install with Windows. But what I am worried about is for example my games through Steam on the Black drive, some of the settings such as graphics and some of the game saves etc. are stored in the Users/My Documents folders on the boot device by default. Will the directories rebuild themselves after the SSD is installed and I try to launch a game through Steam on the Black drive? I did back up my game saves that I can reinstall manually and I don't care if I lose my Graphic settings, that's easy enough to reset.

Also I understand that the User folders can get to be pretty large from web browsing etc.... and the sticky explains how to migrate this seamlessly to the storage drive, is this something I should try to do also?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Gene Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX Lite On Blu-Ray/DVD Burner Custom CPU loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro X64 Crossover 2795 QHD Logitech Keyboard K120 Corsair AX 850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Arc Mini Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steelseries 9HD Schiit Bifrost Uber, Asgard 2, KRK Systems Roki... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Gene Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX Lite On Blu-Ray/DVD Burner Custom CPU loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro X64 Crossover 2795 QHD Logitech Keyboard K120 Corsair AX 850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Arc Mini Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steelseries 9HD Schiit Bifrost Uber, Asgard 2, KRK Systems Roki... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Also I do play WOW and of all my games I own and play I have kept it installed to my Velociraptor since I have heard it plays best off a fast drive, would it be worth giving up the space of my new SSD to reinstall it on there or would I be better off tossing it onto the Black drive?

And lastly what will I need to mount this thing into my HDD cage? And what is this I hear of it using a Micro SATA connector? Special Adaptor needed?

Oh wait, guess there is a 1.8" and a 2.5" C300, guess I am ok on mounting and hooking it up since it's the 2.5 I may get.
Edited by rkl1985 - 3/15/11 at 1:44pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Gene Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX Lite On Blu-Ray/DVD Burner Custom CPU loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro X64 Crossover 2795 QHD Logitech Keyboard K120 Corsair AX 850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Arc Mini Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steelseries 9HD Schiit Bifrost Uber, Asgard 2, KRK Systems Roki... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Gene Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX Lite On Blu-Ray/DVD Burner Custom CPU loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro X64 Crossover 2795 QHD Logitech Keyboard K120 Corsair AX 850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Arc Mini Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steelseries 9HD Schiit Bifrost Uber, Asgard 2, KRK Systems Roki... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
I deff don't want to wipe my Black drive because it is a recent install and was just setup recently, it's still very orderly and tidy and would just be a hassle to back up and wipe and redownload all my steam games again! yikes!
It's no big deal. You don't have to wipe it. Everything will still work out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
So I do understand that with a fresh Windows install to the new SSD that Media Player and all those apps will be tied to the SSD since they install with Windows. But what I am worried about is for example my games through Steam on the Black drive, some of the settings such as graphics and some of the game saves etc. are stored in the Users/My Documents folders on the boot device by default. Will the directories rebuild themselves after the SSD is installed and I try to launch a game through Steam on the Black drive? I did back up my game saves that I can reinstall manually and I don't care if I lose my Graphic settings, that's easy enough to reset.
I had a similar concern when I bought my first SSD and began a multiple-HDD organization system.
When you install Steam on your Black, all games (by default) will get stored on your Black. All of your settings on the other hand will also get put in the Steam folder. As far as I remember there are no traces of Steam settings on my SSD.
When you try to launch a game, Steam remembers where the data is stored and will retrieve it from there by default.

When you install your new SSD, all the directories will stay in place. Nothing will change unless you intentionally change it.

Even when you install your new SSD everything will still function and operate as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
Also I understand that the User folders can get to be pretty large from web browsing etc.... and the sticky explains how to migrate this seamlessly to the storage drive, is this something I should try to do also?
Don't follow the sticky's advice.
Moving the temporary folder off an SSD to an HDD is one of the most counterproductive things you could do.

The point in buying an SSD is so that core components and temporary files are retrieved fast. Moving temporary files to an HDD defeats the purpose because then these files can't be retrieved as fast. Sure, you'll have more space left on your SSD but responsiveness will decline a lot because your files are not being pulled off the fastest drive.

Generally, only relocate storage data off an SSD to an HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
Also I do play WOW and of all my games I own and play I have kept it installed to my Velociraptor since I have heard it plays best off a fast drive, would it be worth giving up the space of my new SSD to reinstall it on there or would I be better off tossing it onto the Black drive?
What do you mean by "it plays better"?
I can almost guarantee you that you will see no performance increase by putting the game on your SSD.
The only advantage of putting the game on your SSD is so that the game launches faster. The game itself won't run any faster, you won't get higher fps either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
And lastly what will I need to mount this thing into my HDD cage? And what is this I hear of it using a Micro SATA connector? Special Adaptor needed?
As far as I remember Micro SATA is an interface only used in newer 1.8" drives. Most (if not all) 2.5" drives use the standard SATA connector. I'd check the specs of the C300--more than likely it will specify whether or not is Micro SATA. If it is Micro SATA, you can get an adapter for cheap.

To mount a 2.5" drive into your HDD cage, you'll need to a 3.5" to 2.5" bay adapter. Most SSDs come with one. If your SSD doesn't come with one, you can get one fairly cheap. Though in all honestly, it's not necessary to buy an SSD tray at all--just Velcro it to the hidden side of your case. SSDs have no moving parts so there wouldn't be any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl1985 View Post
Oh wait, guess there is a 1.8" and a 2.5" C300, guess I am ok on mounting and hooking it up since it's the 2.5 I may get.
Get the 2.5".
1.8" is generally used in laptops. Also I've never seen a laptop with a 1.8" HDD anyways.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › New to SSD's, help me get it going plz!