Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Ars] Congress told that Internet data caps can discourage piracy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Ars] Congress told that Internet data caps can discourage piracy - Page 14

post #131 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight View Post
Because we touch ourselves at night?
Because of our infrastructure. Notice how those countries are much smaller? The U.S is much bigger so it costs and takes a lot longer to put down all those cables.
post #132 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbatemper View Post
Because of our infrastructure. Notice how those countries are much smaller? The U.S is much bigger so it costs and takes a lot longer to put down all those cables.
Obviously; I was joking
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 168
Fun facts:

95% of those in Congress do not understand what a data cap is.

35% are still wrapping their brains around this "newfangled internets thing" (but don't worry, they set up a subcommittee to a subcommittee to work on that).

A further 15%, when asked about computers, simply said they preferred typewriters, quill pens, and smoke signals.



A sample conversation -

Congressman #1: Hmm, a data cap, what's that?

Congressman #2: Well duuuuhh! It's like a lid, you know, for a data jar.

#1: Ohhh, well why would you want one?

#2: *chuckles to himself* Why, to keep the data fresh sir! We musnt be handing out stale data!

#1: Brilliant! Data caps for everyone!
FT02
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x Gigabyte EX58-UD5 EVGA GTX 1080 Classified 24GB Gskill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Predator PCIE 480GB Crucial MX100 512GB WD RE3 3TB WD Black 750GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 1TB Slim/slot load DVD-RW in slim drive + 4xSSD bay Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze 30... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Win 10 Pro Acer Predator XB321HK 32" 4k ASUS 24'' Acer 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Silverstone Fortress FT02 (limited ed. #913) - ... Razer Diamondback Chroma 
AudioAudioOtherOther
ASUS Xonar DG .51 Sennheiser RS 180 USB 3.0 PCIE card #1 USB 3.0 PCIE card #2 
OtherOtherOther
SATA III PCIE card Oculus Rift CV1 HTC Vive 
  hide details  
Reply
FT02
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x Gigabyte EX58-UD5 EVGA GTX 1080 Classified 24GB Gskill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Predator PCIE 480GB Crucial MX100 512GB WD RE3 3TB WD Black 750GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 1TB Slim/slot load DVD-RW in slim drive + 4xSSD bay Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze 30... 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Win 10 Pro Acer Predator XB321HK 32" 4k ASUS 24'' Acer 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Silverstone Fortress FT02 (limited ed. #913) - ... Razer Diamondback Chroma 
AudioAudioOtherOther
ASUS Xonar DG .51 Sennheiser RS 180 USB 3.0 PCIE card #1 USB 3.0 PCIE card #2 
OtherOtherOther
SATA III PCIE card Oculus Rift CV1 HTC Vive 
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Voters being the people who qualify for voting. Your attempts at humor are despicable.
Why do you choose the name Zen, not anything like your attitude.

Even those of legal age to vote, do not classify as Voters.

If all those above the legal age, were classified as Voters, regardless of them voting or not, then I classify as a Millionaire simple because it's possible for me to obtain that much money.

The problems this brings is extremely huge.

If people who don't vote can be legally classified as voters, then why is there slander?

I mean if I purposely call someone a Redneck jewish hating douche, then it's true because it's classification requirements are only that you are a living human being.

Can you please provide some link for this? Because this is ridiculous.

And sounds made up completely.

One last thing:
Quote:
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything
.
Edited by HappyDave - 3/19/11 at 10:48pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
1. Why do you choose the name Zen, not anything like your attitude.

2. Even those of legal age to vote, do not classify as Voters.

3. If all those above the legal age, were classified as Voters, regardless of them voting or not, then I classify as a Millionaire simple because it's possible for me to obtain that much money.

The problems this brings is extremely huge.

4. If people who don't vote can be legally classified as voters, then why is there slander?

I mean if I purposely call someone a Redneck jewish hating douche, then it's true because it's classification requirements are only that you are a living human being.

Can you please provide some link for this? Because this is ridiculous.

And sounds made up completely.

5. One last thing: The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
1. Personal attacks? That's original.

2. If they are registered to vote, they are potential voters. Everyone who has received their select services card is probably registered. Just because you don't choice to use it doesn't mean the opportunity doesn't exists.

3. What a straw man you make. Someone who is registered to vote has the opportunity to vote, wither they choose to or not. You don't have the money to be a millionaire, so you can't, even if you want to be one. So go earn the money, then you could be one instead of wasting your life making inane comments.

4. What? See part 2. Its not slander, its a fact.

5. Sounds like your a conspiracy theorist there, I hope not, because then nothing I say will convince you, as all my evidence/lack of is part of the conspiracy.

Voter qualifications

What is a potential voter in statistics
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Why do you choose the name Zen, not anything like your attitude.

Even those of legal age to vote, do not classify as Voters.

If all those above the legal age, were classified as Voters, regardless of them voting or not, then I classify as a Millionaire simple because it's possible for me to obtain that much money.

The problems this brings is extremely huge.

If people who don't vote can be legally classified as voters, then why is there slander?

I mean if I purposely call someone a Redneck jewish hating douche, then it's true because it's classification requirements are only that you are a living human being.

Can you please provide some link for this? Because this is ridiculous.

And sounds made up completely.

One last thing:
.
Not sure if serious.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #137 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostintyme View Post
Legal torrenting much?
http://distrowatch.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #138 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Even those of legal age to vote, do not classify as Voters.

If all those above the legal age, were classified as Voters, regardless of them voting or not, then I classify as a Millionaire simple because it's possible for me to obtain that much money.

The problems this brings is extremely huge.

If people who don't vote can be legally classified as voters, then why is there slander?

I mean if I purposely call someone a Redneck jewish hating douche, then it's true because it's classification requirements are only that you are a living human being.

Can you please provide some link for this? Because this is ridiculous.

And sounds made up completely.
Definition of voter.

The first one is most applicable, since the others deal with the act itself and is "a citizen who has a legal right to vote".

Every US citizen over 18 (except felons I believe) is a voter since they have the legal right to vote. A subset of this group is registered voters, who care enough to participate in elections, an even smaller subset would be likely voters who've taken the time to register and have demonstrated an interest and willingness to vote.

Calling everyone a US voter would be false, since there are many people who aren't citizens and thus are not eligible to vote. Thus the definition is useful to distinguish groups. If you defined "Redneck jewish hating douche" as "living human" that's not a particularly useful definition. Luckily it's not actually the definition, since to be those qualifiers you have to display certain traits (if you're jewish hating you have to display you antisemitism in some manner).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i TriSLI EVGA GTX 260 2x2 GB Patriot PC2 - 8500 
MonitorPowerCase
Hanns-G 22" LCD CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Danger Den Water Box 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i TriSLI EVGA GTX 260 2x2 GB Patriot PC2 - 8500 
MonitorPowerCase
Hanns-G 22" LCD CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Danger Den Water Box 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbatemper View Post
Because of our infrastructure. Notice how those countries are much smaller? The U.S is much bigger so it costs and takes a lot longer to put down all those cables.
Given the profit that US companies are making (which are a lot more), it should be quite easy and could be done in a couple of years. They just don't see any good reason to improve their infrastructure because it costs them and would provide us with better service. And they couldn't pull the 'network congestion, we need data caps' card anymore with an improved network.
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Given the profit that US companies are making (which are a lot more), it should be quite easy and could be done in a couple of years. They just don't see any good reason to improve their infrastructure because it costs them and would provide us with better service. And they couldn't pull the 'network congestion, we need data caps' card anymore with an improved network.
Yes, building fibre-optic lines across all of Montana and to every remote household would be cheap! /sarcasm

Significant capital investments, even with high profits, are always dangerous. You do not know if it will be under utilized, and what good is it if you cannot capitalize on the new capability? Gramma Jensen doesn't need 1Gbps internet to read Yahoo! News.
Sony VAIO FW490J
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
C2D P8700 (2.53GHz) ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4650 4GB DDR2-800 320GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
Blu-ray W7SP1 x64 1920x1080 16.4" Sony VAIO FW490J 
Mouse
Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX 
  hide details  
Reply
Sony VAIO FW490J
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
C2D P8700 (2.53GHz) ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4650 4GB DDR2-800 320GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
Blu-ray W7SP1 x64 1920x1080 16.4" Sony VAIO FW490J 
Mouse
Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Ars] Congress told that Internet data caps can discourage piracy