Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNET] White House wants new copyright law crackdown
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNET] White House wants new copyright law crackdown - Page 8

post #71 of 101
This is actually pretty important.


The USA has gotten to where it is today by being one of the best places to do business in the world. This is in part due to very favorable laws for businesses, including strong patent, trademark, and copyright protections. That is to say, if you invented something in the US, you could be pretty sure that you would be able to make the money from it. All of the wealthiest nations in the world have very strong intellectual property protections.

As more of the goods and services in our economy are offered online, and particularly as more of our entertainment becomes digitized, the need for revised IP protections is becoming apparent. The entertainment industry employs countless people. Don't just think about the Kanyes or the Spielbergs or the Cliffy Bs of the world. Think about all the people involved in making the content that the big names get slapped onto. The studio sound engineers, the cameramen, the texture artists. When you pirate an album or a movie or a game, you are stealing from these people.

We need better laws to protect the people who make content in our economy. If we don't get them soon, the entertainment industry will languish and die. It will leave us only with movies, games, and album that are safe, mass-market sure bets for publishers; all we'll have will be Call of Duty, Katy Perry, and Michael Bay.

Remember that piracy is never right. You don't own the material you're stealing, nor did you have a hand in creating it (unless you're Ubisoft, apparently). You have no right to consume content you didn't pay for, and when all we're left with is middle of the road crap, we'll know who to blame.
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude View Post
Sometimes I think that they are close minded fools.

Edit: Post number ends in 69. Oh yeaaaa
No, I think you have that completely backwards..

They are open minded fools subjective to the check books of corporate lobbyist..
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #73 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`Archduke` View Post
This is actually pretty important.


The USA has gotten to where it is today by being one of the best places to do business in the world. This is in part due to very favorable laws for businesses, including strong patent, trademark, and copyright protections. That is to say, if you invented something in the US, you could be pretty sure that you would be able to make the money from it. All of the wealthiest nations in the world have very strong intellectual property protections.

As more of the goods and services in our economy are offered online, and particularly as more of our entertainment becomes digitized, the need for revised IP protections is becoming apparent. The entertainment industry employs countless people. Don't just think about the Kanyes or the Spielbergs or the Cliffy Bs of the world. Think about all the people involved in making the content that the big names get slapped onto. The studio sound engineers, the cameramen, the texture artists. When you pirate an album or a movie or a game, you are stealing from these people.

We need better laws to protect the people who make content in our economy. If we don't get them soon, the entertainment industry will languish and die. It will leave us only with movies, games, and album that are safe, mass-market sure bets for publishers; all we'll have will be Call of Duty, Katy Perry, and Michael Bay.

Remember that piracy is never right. You don't own the material you're stealing, nor did you have a hand in creating it (unless you're Ubisoft, apparently). You have no right to consume content you didn't pay for, and when all we're left with is middle of the road crap, we'll know who to blame.
Most inventions have never happened because the inventors didn't have the money to afford a lawyer to get Intellectual Property Protection or Patents, nobody was willing to invest, and if they move forward without that, then they got owned hard by corporations or countries (like china) which copy everything they see...

Copying has been a problem for a long time, but the only people who can afford to protect their property is the rich, as you can see from this whole ordeal, the Movie Industry is in Washington writing new laws.... And as China & many other countries has proven, even those with the protection will get copied, so the burden of this great law will mainly fall on American's heads, not third world countries, or countries who can tell America to get lost and get out..

I sure hope kids don't get put in prison over this, that would be a complete travesty, either way, the parents will pay if the kid is caught doing something bad online....

Sometimes I think the only reason they write the laws is to make money...

I really don't care if someone is walking down the street instead of on the sidewalk or not wearing their seat belt, that's their prerogative, why burden the people with excessive & unnecessary laws which only serves to fatten your wallet you greedy __________!
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #74 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
Most inventions have never happened because the inventors didn't have the money to afford a lawyer to get Intellectual Property Protection or Patents, nobody was willing to invest, and if they move forward without that, then they got owned hard by corporations or countries (like china) which copy everything they see...

Copying has been a problem for a long time, but the only people who can afford to protect their property is the rich, as you can see from this whole ordeal, the Movie Industry is in Washington writing new laws.... And as China & many other countries has proven, even those with the protection will get copied, so the burden of this great law will mainly fall on American's heads, not third world countries, or countries who can tell America to get lost and get out..

I sure hope kids don't get put in prison over this, that would be a complete travesty, either way, the parents will pay if the kid is caught doing something bad online....

Sometimes I think the only reason they write the laws is to make money...

I really don't care if someone is walking down the street instead of on the sidewalk or not wearing their seat belt, that's their prerogative, why burden the people with excessive & unnecessary laws which only serves to fatten your wallet you greedy __________!

Are you saying that stealing is OK? Or that people who steal things online should be treated differently from shoplifters? The point of my post was to make it clear that stealing (because that's what piracy is, stealing) is never OK, no matter what you're stealing or who you're stealing from.

Not putting on one's seatbelt is one's own prerogative because one is only endangering himself by failing to do so. That's my opinion. The Law disagrees. You can be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt, after all.

As you can see, I don't agree with all laws. Some are silly, superfluous, or downright backwards. That being said, I do think that stealing should be illegal no matter the particulars of the crime. Breaking into someone's car, stuffing Red Bull into your backpack and not paying for it at 7-11, torrenting Homefront, or streaming a movie online so your buddies can watch it. It doesn't matter. You are consuming a for-sale product and not paying. You are stealing. And sooner or later all of this stealing is going to have consequences.
Edited by SlayerS_`Archduke` - 3/17/11 at 10:23am
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`Archduke` View Post
The point of my post was to make it clear that stealing (because that's what piracy is, stealing) is never OK, no matter what you're stealing or who you're stealing from.
i stopped reading here because you're simply wrong. Piracy is not stealing. You are not taking something. If you go to a store and take a candy bar, that candy bar is no longer on the shelf. If you pirate something, you simply copy it. It's as if you go to the store and look at the candy bar and magically make a copy of said candy bar. That's not stealing. It's copying, duplicating, whatever you wanna call it, but not stealing.
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
i stopped reading here because you're simply wrong. Piracy is not stealing. You are not taking something. If you go to a store and take a candy bar, that candy bar is no longer on the shelf. If you pirate something, you simply copy it. It's as if you go to the store and look at the candy bar and magically make a copy of said candy bar. That's not stealing. It's copying, duplicating, whatever you wanna call it, but not stealing.
I probably can't convince you that you're wrong, so what I'll say instead is that the law disagrees with you.

The question I have for you is this: What is the consequence of 'copying' all the games, music, and movies you want? If everybody copied these things and didn't pay for them, who in their right mind would make the content? Nobody! The only reason art exists is because people can make a living at it. Mozart made a living with his music. Kurosawa was paid for his craft. Miyamoto designed games for a profit. If nobody can make money by being a musician or a director or a game designer, who will entertain us? No one.

This is why it's illegal to pirate digital content; to protect the creators of the content. They came up with it. It's theirs, not yours. The only reason they made it in the first place is because they could get paid for it and make it worth their time and efforts. If everybody stops paying for entertainment, there will be very little of it left.

tl;dr: If you can't afford to buy this stuff, then you don't deserve to consume it. Pay up or shut up. Pirates are going to destroy digital entertainment.
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`Archduke` View Post
I probably can't convince you that you're wrong, so what I'll say instead is that the law disagrees with you.

The question I have for you is this: What is the consequence of 'copying' all the games, music, and movies you want? If everybody copied these things and didn't pay for them, who in their right mind would make the content? Nobody! The only reason art exists is because people can make a living at it. Mozart made a living with his music. Kurosawa was paid for his craft. Miyamoto designed games for a profit. If nobody can make money by being a musician or a director or a game designer, who will entertain us? No one.

This is why it's illegal to pirate digital content; to protect the creators of the content. They came up with it. It's theirs, not yours. The only reason they made it in the first place is because they could get paid for it and make it worth their time and efforts. If everybody stops paying for entertainment, there will be very little of it left.

tl;dr: If you can't afford to buy this stuff, then you don't deserve to consume it. Pay up or shut up. Pirates are going to destroy digital entertainment.
You do realize pirates only make up a small portion of the people who consume the media. A large majority of those pirates WOULD NOT have bought said media if they couldn't pirate it. Therefore, the lost sales (the pirates that would have bought it if they couldn't pirate it) only represent a very tiny fraction of the consumer base.

Piracy has been around forever. Back in the 80's/90's, you could just borrow a VHS and copy it easily. Any old joe schmuck could do it. At least nowadays, DRM has made it much harder for the average person to pirate things. Pirates will not destroy digital entertainment. Poor content and lack of motivation by the content creators will lead to their demise.
Needs More Red
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte Windforce 290X OC 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 1TB Samsung F3 2TB Samsung F4 OCZ Agility 3 256GB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 24x DVD+-RW Lite-On 12x Bluray Burner Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Antec TruePower 850W Thermaltake V4 Black Logitech G400s 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK Ultrasone Pro 900 Fiio E17 
  hide details  
Reply
Needs More Red
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte Windforce 290X OC 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 1TB Samsung F3 2TB Samsung F4 OCZ Agility 3 256GB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 24x DVD+-RW Lite-On 12x Bluray Burner Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Antec TruePower 850W Thermaltake V4 Black Logitech G400s 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK Ultrasone Pro 900 Fiio E17 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 101
If someone who pirates games suddenly couldn't pirate anymore, would they stop playing games? My guess is probably not. They would play fewer games, but they would BUY them.

The number of pirates is irrelevant. Piracy is stealing, therefore it is wrong, and subsequently is illegal. There is no sound argument FOR piracy. Pirates take what does not belong to them without paying for it. That is obviously wrong. Period.

By the way, I'm not saying that pirates are actually going to ruin the industry. If you take the trend of piracy to its logical (though somewhat unlikely) end, you would see that if nobody paid for the content, nobody would make it.

Think of the other extreme. What if there were no pirates at all? If anyone who wanted to play the game bought a copy, there would be no DRM. The industry might even decide that $50 was enough for a full-price game. This is by way of asking why do pirates think they're special? Why is it OK for the rest of us to pay for games while the pirates play for free? Is that fair?

You can make any number of arguments for piracy, but they all involve advocating stealing or supporting unfairness.
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
Such ignorant people on this site. How do you guys not understand that streaming stuff that is not allowed by the publisher of the material, is wrong?
So is tracking what people do online...

But wait, what about privacy laws?

Does everyone have a right to tap your line to see what your doing?

Even Service Providers?

You can't have privacy if everyone can watch your internet traffic, correct me if I'm wrong, please...
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`Archduke` View Post
tl;dr: If you can't afford to buy this stuff, then you don't deserve to consume it. Pay up or shut up. Pirates are going to destroy digital entertainment.
This is one of the reasons endless discussion doesn't always work.. Simply moralizing isn't going to end piracy and both sides have arguments to make.

The concern is how far will things go in order to restrict piracy.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090t@4.02ghz GA-890FXA-UD5 Radeon HD 6870 crossfire OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM Windows 7 64bit Corsair HX750 Corsair Obsidian Series 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090t@4.02ghz GA-890FXA-UD5 Radeon HD 6870 crossfire OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM Windows 7 64bit Corsair HX750 Corsair Obsidian Series 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNET] White House wants new copyright law crackdown