Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Addicted to folding!? New rig. 7x 450s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Addicted to folding!? New rig. 7x 450s - Page 3

post #21 of 49
I'd advice to get a sandybridge -bigadv folding rig instead. maybe two of them instead of gtx 450's they will consume far less power than that folding rig you are planning. gpu folding aint pretty on the electric bill. trust me dude mine aint pretty
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post
Ok cool. I figured it wouldn't work as the socket types were different.



Wasting my money? I suppose that is true if you consider folding "wasteful." True, I could have built a nice Eyefinity setup. But instead I decided to build a folding rig. God damn what is wrong with me. I'm a wasteful jackass.

Perhaps considering how "wasteful" I am, I am crazy enough to build a second farm. And maybe that second farm will meet your 100% efficiency expectation for all current and future hardware that "may probably be released."

Thanks for your input.
I wouldn't tell that to a guy who is ranked 200+ here in OCN
post #23 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post
I'd advice to get a sandybridge -bigadv folding rig instead. maybe two of them instead of gtx 450's they will consume far less power than that folding rig you are planning. gpu folding aint pretty on the electric bill. trust me dude mine aint pretty
2 rigs? That's a thought. It would probably generate a lot less heat too. Fortunately in Hawaii a lot of the buildings don't have individual meters so it's impossible to bill the units directly. In those cases power is included in the rent. One of which I'm currently living.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post
2 rigs? That's a thought. It would probably generate a lot less heat too. Fortunately in Hawaii a lot of the buildings don't have individual meters so it's impossible to bill the units directly. In those cases power is included in the rent. One of which I'm currently living.
still two 2600k would be a better choice. let's say you wanted to quit folding and use your rig on something else you'll definitely experience less hassle on the SB folding rigs. 7 gts 450's will be a pain. no offense to gts 450 users but we know how they perform and even in SLI it's not pretty. and everytime their value decrease you experience them seven fold
post #25 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post
I wouldn't tell that to a guy who is ranked 200+ here in OCN
Rank doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful. There are plenty of other posters in this thread who made very helpful suggestions for alternative builds without the snide comments.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post
2 rigs? That's a thought. It would probably generate a lot less heat too. Fortunately in Hawaii a lot of the buildings don't have individual meters so it's impossible to bill the units directly. In those cases power is included in the rent. One of which I'm currently living.
still two 2600k would be a better choice. let's say you wanted to quit folding and use your rig on something else you'll definitely experience less hassle on the SB folding rigs. 7 gts 450's will be a pain. no offense to gts 450 users but we know how they perform and even in SLI it's not pretty. and everytime their value decrease you experience them seven fold getting rid of those cards will not be easy compared to the sb rig which you can sell much easier.
post #27 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post
still two 2600k would be a better choice. let's say you wanted to quit folding and use your rig on something else you'll definitely experience less hassle on the SB folding rigs. 7 gts 450's will be a pain. no offense to gts 450 users but we know how they perform and even in SLI it's not pretty. and everytime their value decrease you experience them seven fold
No doubt. But I also believe that setup would be quite a lot more expensive. Spacing, etc. Plus I'm not too worried about the GTS 450s losing value. People still fold on their 8800s. I plan on folding the GTS 450s for a long time.

I should have no need to ever use the folding rig for gaming. My current system is more then enough. I also have a 6990 being delivered tomorrow as well and I'm giving my brother one of my 6950s. Plus I haven't installed the water cooling yet which should help OC immensely.

So, what else could I possible use the folding rig for ?
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post
Wasting my money? I suppose that is true if you consider folding "wasteful." True, I could have built a nice Eyefinity setup. But instead I decided to build a folding rig. God damn what is wrong with me. I'm a wasteful jackass.

Perhaps considering how "wasteful" I am, I am crazy enough to build a second farm. And maybe that second farm will meet your 100% efficiency expectation for all current and future hardware that "may probably be released."

Thanks for your input.
lol no need to get so defensive, i pay my own electricity bills so efficiency is a key factor, but since you don't, then i guess it doesnt really matter how much power you're using

and to me, when you dont get the most bang for your buck, you're wasting your money.. people that shop at best buy, wasting their money.. people that buy coffee at starbucks, wasting their money.. and people that build a i7 9xx rig over sandy bridge these days, wasting their money, etc, just my opinion, but then again im one frugal motherf'er lol
Edited by koven - 3/17/11 at 2:50pm
post #29 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
lol no need to get so defensive, i pay my own electricity bills so efficiency is a key factor, but since you don't, then i guess it doesnt really matter how much power you're using

and to me, when you dont get the most bang for your buck, you're wasting your money.. people that shop at best buy, wasting their money.. people that buy coffee at starbucks, wasting their money.. and people that build a i7 9xx rig over sandy bridge these days, wasting their money, etc, just my opinion, but then again im one frugal motherf'er lol
I didn't realize the 2600K was that much better then the 950. I could probably have gone the 2600k + 4 GPUs with the same performance. This is my first foray into Intel CPUs.

And for the most part I agree with you. However I did indicate I had already placed my order. So it's pretty crappy someone telling you how bad your build is after dropping a **** load of cash. I'd rather someone tell me the performance benefits of going a different build. Because then I would probably rather quickly realize my mistake and berate myself, rather someone else calling me out.

Make sense?
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 49
sorry it came across that way, wasnt my intention, just a bad choice of words lol, you can always return your setup/refuse shipment for a refund.. 2600k is really that much better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Addicted to folding!? New rig. 7x 450s