Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET - Page 35

post #341 of 10699
Anyone know about batch numbers?
I have: L041B721 batch. Anyone know if I just got a poor batch and thats why I need more vcore?
Mighty Mini
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Gene Asus 970 Strix 8gigs Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX 120gig Seagate Cuda 1TB W10 Acer 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 HX1000W NZXT Vulcan G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
Mighty Mini
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Gene Asus 970 Strix 8gigs Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX 120gig Seagate Cuda 1TB W10 Acer 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 HX1000W NZXT Vulcan G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #342 of 10699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xVicious View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post and coincidentally enough, my first time overclocking. I have a few questions if you guys could answer them...

First and foremost, this is a gaming PC, I won't be doing Folding or anything like that on here, but I will be running games at max settings as much as possible. Do I need to run Prime95 for 8+ Hours in order to comfortably keep my current overclock? or would an hour be fine? And what does everyone mean by 24/7? I only keep my computer on 12 hours a day at most, and the cores downclock when idle, so once again, whats an easier, and faster way to measure stability then running Prime95 for hours on end?

Now for my second question... I followed the newbie guide for Sandy Bridge over at clunks, and when I decided to see if I can manage 4.8 GHz, I didn't change any other settings besides CPU Voltage. Even when he suggested changing the VCCSA and VCCIO to 0.9 and 1.0 respectively. I left these on Auto because many other people said not to change them as it could be dangerous. Did I do the right thing? What kind of effect would changing them have?

Last question is temps... I'm about to run Prime95 while overclocked to 4.8 GHz at v1.36 (v1.355 gave me 0x101 BSOD 50 minutes in), and according to real temp I hit 84c as Max on the v.1.355, though looking at it now, it seems I mainly hovered between 79 - 81c on Core 2 with occasional drops to 75c. How safe is this? I imagine temps on the v1.36 would stay the same. I want to be able to run this processor for years to come, and I'm terrified of damaging it, should I clock down to 4.7 GHz? Would I ever really see these temps in gaming? Another thing I'm concerned about is that while we're going to have the obvious air conditioning, I live in Arizona, where it reaches 49c in the summer, should I be concerned? As we speak its a little hotter than 27c in the house.

My Computer is brand new, I just assembled it 3 days ago, with a ASUS Maximus IV, i7-2600K, 16GB of Ram OC'd to v1.5 and 2 GTX 580 SCs in SLI.

This is being cooled inside a Raven RV02-E with 3 180mm 1200 RPM Intake Fans, 1 120mm 1200 RPM Exhaust Fan, and a Hyper 212+ with Push/Pull 2x 2000 RPM Fans settled on Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound.

I'd appreciate any answers to my questions.
Welcome! I'll get to those questions in a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost-boi View Post
Anyone know about batch numbers?
I have: L041B721 batch. Anyone know if I just got a poor batch and thats why I need more vcore?
Um idk my batch number is L041B527

Also I opened my own thread up for some more help with my OC it's in the Intel CPU Subforum.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...l#post12972550
Edited by phazer11 - 4/2/11 at 10:34am
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #343 of 10699
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xVicious View Post
First and foremost, this is a gaming PC, I won't be doing Folding or anything like that on here, but I will be running games at max settings as much as possible. Do I need to run Prime95 for 8+ Hours in order to comfortably keep my current overclock? or would an hour be fine? And what does everyone mean by 24/7? I only keep my computer on 12 hours a day at most, and the cores downclock when idle, so once again, whats an easier, and faster way to measure stability then running Prime95 for hours on end?

Now for my second question... I followed the newbie guide for Sandy Bridge over at clunks, and when I decided to see if I can manage 4.8 GHz, I didn't change any other settings besides CPU Voltage. Even when he suggested changing the VCCSA and VCCIO to 0.9 and 1.0 respectively. I left these on Auto because many other people said not to change them as it could be dangerous. Did I do the right thing? What kind of effect would changing them have?

Last question is temps... I'm about to run Prime95 while overclocked to 4.8 GHz at v1.36 (v1.355 gave me 0x101 BSOD 50 minutes in), and according to real temp I hit 84c as Max on the v.1.355, though looking at it now, it seems I mainly hovered between 79 - 81c on Core 2 with occasional drops to 75c. How safe is this? I imagine temps on the v1.36 would stay the same. I want to be able to run this processor for years to come, and I'm terrified of damaging it, should I clock down to 4.7 GHz?

Would I ever really see these temps in gaming? Another thing I'm concerned about is that while we're going to have the obvious air conditioning, I live in Arizona, where it reaches 49c in the summer, should I be concerned? As we speak its a little hotter than 27c in the house.

My Computer is brand new, I just assembled it 3 days ago, with a ASUS Maximus IV, i7-2600K, 16GB of Ram OC'd to v1.5 and 2 GTX 580 SCs in SLI.

This is being cooled inside a Raven RV02-E with 3 180mm 1200 RPM Intake Fans, 1 120mm 1200 RPM Exhaust Fan, and a Hyper 212+ with Push/Pull 2x 2000 RPM Fans settled on Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound.

I'd appreciate any answers to my questions.
To answer your first question, unfortunatly there is no easier or faster way of determining stability, its a working progress. Some may say that IBT or LinX is faster and better some may say prime95 is better. It is upto you which one you use, some even use both. I personally do IBT with 20runs and run 12hours of blend to ensure full stability. 24/7 is referred to the pc as being rock solid stable. The logic behind stability testing hours on end is so that when using the pc from 1 hour to 10 hours or even 5 days you maintain the stablity of your pc in full working order without any bsods wchi is always nice but always remember that there is no guarentee's when it comes to overclocking as your cpu is unique from others (VID range)

Many guides have given information regarding vccio and vccsa, it is only advised on what to change ad what not to change. There systems again are different to yours. For example I may have exactly the same setup as yours however changing vccio and vccso could well as be different for both. It may work better for your's than mine. I have left vccsa on auto and changed vccio to 1.1v.

Hopefully this should help answer the last question. No one currently know's what the safe temps are for these chips, everyone seems to say that it throttles at 95 or 92c and that keeping the temps below 85c is good. I personally find that a bit too much for my liking. As temps and vcore contribute to the degrading of cpu's, I would personally keep the temps below 75c as a max. Overclocking is something that cannot be seen as a guarentee, so it would not be fair to say that your chip will survive 1 year or 10. As these chips have not been around long enough, even at this point the information about these chips are a bit 'shady'.

I dont think you get these temps while your gaming, however, there are some games that are more cpu dependant than others. I would maybe tone down your overclock until you reach 75c or invest in better cooling.

Hope that helps answer your questions
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #344 of 10699
Thanks for the response Munaim! Seeing as how I once again came across a 0x101 BSOD on 4.8GHz at v1.36 I decided to stop and downclock to 4.7GHz at v1.34, since I was already hitting 85c at v1.36 and I didn't want to push it. Hopefully I'll be able to run Prime for a full hour or two at v1.34 before deeming it good enough. Even now at v1.34 it seems I hit 80c, but I don't mind that too much.

After looking at some more guides I decided to keep everything AUTO except for Voltage, DDR, Turbo Frequence. I did set my VRM Frequency to 350 though as suggested on another thread by an ASUS Tech. Hopefully this'll work out until I scrounge up so more money and try my hand at Watercooling.
Overkill
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6 GHz at 1.29v (HT Enabled) ASUS Maximus IV Extreme ATI 6990 16GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
OCZ Vertex 3 Windows 7 64-Bit Professional Enermax Revolution 1020w 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6 GHz at 1.29v (HT Enabled) ASUS Maximus IV Extreme ATI 6990 16GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
OCZ Vertex 3 Windows 7 64-Bit Professional Enermax Revolution 1020w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #345 of 10699
I don't suppose you'd accept a 4 and a half hour Prime 95 Blend Test for now munaim1? I need to stop the test to further refine things.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #346 of 10699
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer11 View Post
I don't suppose you'd accept a 4 and a half hour Prime 95 Blend Test for now munaim1? I need to stop the test to further refine things.
Sorry won't be fair on everyone else, but you can use your ss and post it here as a reference to yourself and it should help when your tweaking.

Check your other thread, I will help you reach 24/7 stable
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #347 of 10699
I figured and I will posting there now.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #348 of 10699
So I had the processor running at 4.7 GHz at v1.34 for a whole hour on Prime95... But the processor hit 85c, and AI Suite 2 actually gave me a warning... I didn't like that one bit, so I downclocked once again.

I'm going to give 4.6 GHz at v1.27 a try. So far I have my max temp at 72c, but it normally hovers around 68c, which I like a heck of a lot better then hovering around 80c for only another 100 MHz. We'll see how it goes.
Overkill
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6 GHz at 1.29v (HT Enabled) ASUS Maximus IV Extreme ATI 6990 16GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
OCZ Vertex 3 Windows 7 64-Bit Professional Enermax Revolution 1020w 
  hide details  
Reply
Overkill
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6 GHz at 1.29v (HT Enabled) ASUS Maximus IV Extreme ATI 6990 16GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
OCZ Vertex 3 Windows 7 64-Bit Professional Enermax Revolution 1020w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #349 of 10699
Am I right in thinking that, if you OC manually. You have the same V-Core volts at idle as you do at full load?
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
I Like Smileys :)
(16 items)
 
Sony Vaio 1512
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 3207 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaws-X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
80GB Intel & 128GB 830  2 x WD640 Caviar Black LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64bit Acer 5906x1080 3D Logitech G15 Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Logitec G700 Razer Goliathus Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Laptop  HD 4000 Corsair Vengeance 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 250GB DVD Multi Windows 8 15.5 inch display (1366 x 768) 
Keyboard
LED Back lit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #350 of 10699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xVicious View Post
I'm going to give 4.6 GHz at v1.27 a try. So far I have my max temp at 72c, but it normally hovers around 68c, which I like a heck of a lot better then hovering around 80c for only another 100 MHz. We'll see how it goes.
Haha good lord. 1.27v for 4.6! I need 1.4v for my 4.6!
Sucks because temps are not an issue for me.
Mighty Mini
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Gene Asus 970 Strix 8gigs Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX 120gig Seagate Cuda 1TB W10 Acer 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 HX1000W NZXT Vulcan G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
Mighty Mini
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Gene Asus 970 Strix 8gigs Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX 120gig Seagate Cuda 1TB W10 Acer 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 HX1000W NZXT Vulcan G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
  • [Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET