Originally Posted by donkrx
People still use LinX however it reached a level of absurdity recently with the addition of AVX to Windows 7 SP1. Your cores will get 10-15C hotter than the hottest temps in Prime. You probably already know that its really hard if not impossible for you to reach your Prime temps in normal use, which makes IBT/LinX truly overkill. It's always down to personal preference, but I campaign against the use of this program because I know some people might decide (because of this program) to upgrade their cooling when they don't need to.
I hit low 60s in games like Metro 2033 and 77 in Prime. In IBT (I just ran it right now to see) I hit 92C in 40 seconds. At that point I stopped it.
Very true, my temps with prime blend after 12hours peaked at 70c no higher and averaged at mid 60s, gaming it never really goes above 55c. With IBT with a few seconds my temps went to a ridiculous 82c and for what???? bleurgh!!! I too, don't like that espically when it isn;'t the best tester for sandy, doesn't really make sense to use it.
Originally Posted by McLaren_F1
Hey munaim1, what offset value should i start with?
Im using manual 1.35 for 4.6GHz
Ummmmm.... not sure bud, I only recently started using offset.
You could try setting the multi to 40x and the offset to +0.05 and then run prime blend and see what vcore it is and then continue upping the offset until you get to your desired votlage, then just set the multi back and hopefully it shoudl be fine.
Originally Posted by Smo
Well guys you know how it goes - what you've got is never enough! I originally had my heart set on 4.8GHz but couldn't stabilise it without vcore that I wasn't comfortable using 24/7 (1.488v), so settled temporarily for 4.7GHz @ 1.416v.
It's apparent that my chip isn't particularly good, however I decided to revisit my previous target with the hope of doing a better job of managing the overclock.
So far I've managed to pass both 1792 and 1344 FFTs with 4.8GHz @ 1.456v - I would like it to be lower, but it's better than I had previously! I've run out of time tonight but I'll attempt the 12 hour blend tomorrow.
These are my settings;
My maximum temps are 71-75-74-73 which I'm happy with, that's the Kuhler 920 with Sickleflows @ 50% speed. I owe a big thanks to all of you, especially TwoCables and munaim1 for all the invaluable information in this thread.
I do have one question though - I'm sat looking at CPU-Z and my chip is idling at 1600MHz, but the voltage is constantly jumping like crazy, from as low as 1.13v up to ~1.4v while the core speed stays at 1600MHz. Is this normal?
Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to all this!
LOL you should read my disclaimer
Temps are looking quite good, 4.8GHz @ 1.456v is 'okayish' but if it needs the volts, it needs the volts and there aint much you can do except tweaking it as best as you can.
I always recommend people using the manual voltage when finding your overclock and your vcore for it at first and then you can switch to offset if/when required.
I believe the reason why it does that is because of background processes, even though it may show that the cpu is idling 99% of the time, the other 1% is doing 'something' which in turn requires that 'bit' of voltage. I may be wrong but I think that is why you will get votlage fluctations.
Right now, my cpu vcore goes all the way from 1.160v to around 1.340v.
I would say it's normal
And no worries, always happy to help fellow OCN members Edited by munaim1 - 9/9/11 at 7:30pm