Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [WSJ] Large Retailers Join Push for Amazon Sales Tax in US
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WSJ] Large Retailers Join Push for Amazon Sales Tax in US - Page 4

post #31 of 88
We need sales tax on items from the internet. This tax money will be going to your home state. I am surprised this hasn't been changed faster. Don't get me wrong I like paying let money but we have tax for a reason and it should be implemented. Plus when doing taxes you are supposed to claim everything you bought out of state anyway which everyone SHOULD be doing.
post #32 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
The thing is who charges the sales tax? will Amazon if a Texan buys from a California location does he pay California sales tax because it is bought there and then shipped. or does he pay Texas tax since it is transported and used in Texas. Sales tax is different.... and I am sure every state is wanting their own tax... does it split between the two an average sales tax between the two states and the half goes to 1 and half to the other?

it will then be a battle between the states...
Wait, so you guys don't pay any taxes on online purchases!?

In Canada if we buy something online, we get charged the federal tax that would normally be charged in our province, even if we order from a location in another province.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro EVGA GTX 580SC 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB Crucial M4, 2x 640GB WD Caviar Black RAID0 Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245B 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v.2 Silverstone Olympia 750W CM HAF-X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro EVGA GTX 580SC 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB Crucial M4, 2x 640GB WD Caviar Black RAID0 Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245B 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v.2 Silverstone Olympia 750W CM HAF-X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
Conveniently,the stores that do charge tax has certain advantages.
In the end, no companies are getting hurt
The "little guys" are just making BS excuses to generate more revenue.
Each has advantages and disadvantages. See my response to Squirrel below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Torch View Post
Hmm Taxation without representation.....sound familiar?
That makes no sense. What exactly do you think "taxation without representation" means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post
People don't buy products online solely because of a lack of online sales tax enforcement. They also do so because the prices are generally lower (before tax) than their B&M counterparts.

B&M stores can't rely on convenience, they either have to cut costs and lower prices or offer us more value to earn our dollars IMO.

States aren't in financial crisis because of a lack of revenue, they are there because of rediculous policies and spending.
I would agree with this despite my obvious tendency to adopt universal sales tax for all sales regardless of etailer or brick-and-mortar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
But one has to pay for shipping and the other doesn't. By forcing etailers to charge a sales tax on all transactions, it would automatically give Wal-Mart & Co an advantage.
Using your same logic, etailers have inherently lower operating costs since they don't need to support many retail stores all over the country (though they do need to have some sort of warehouse location hubs for the products, however you don't need nearly as many since they're mainly distribution centers rather than retail locations), store employees for sales in addition to customer support employees, etc. It's a level playing field.

The thing that is mainly unfair is that if you buy something from, for example, bestbuy.com and have it shipped, you must pay the appropriate sales tax, yet if you get the same item from amazon.com, you don't, despite the fact that you're still buying the item from an online source. I can see why the B&M businesses see it as unfair.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by richuwo11 View Post
Wait, so you guys don't pay any taxes on online purchases!?

In Canada if we buy something online, we get charged the federal tax that would normally be charged in our province, even if we order from a location in another province.
If the location you are buying from does not have a store front / location located in your state then you do not need to worry about sales tax.

Wonder how this will ripple through eBay... will the seller need to worry about or will eBay need to take a cut / Pay pal taking a cut and then worrying about taxes?
Main Frame
(17 items)
 
Slave Frame
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965  GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 MSI R9 285 CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Spinpoint F3 Crucial C300 SSD Samsung SH-S243N/BEBS Samsung SH-S243N/BEBS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H50 Windows 7-64bit Ultimate Samsung P2450H ASUS VS248H-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Bluetooth (First gen) BFG EX-1200 Thermaltake Black Armor Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 3700+ Abit Fatilty SLI 9600 GSO (48SP) 4 x 1 Gb DDR OCZ Platnium 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500 Gig - Samsung F3 Plextor DVD-R/RW Windows XP Pro (32Bit) POS 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$5 special at Target XFX 750Watt CM Scout Storm Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Frame
(17 items)
 
Slave Frame
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965  GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 MSI R9 285 CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Spinpoint F3 Crucial C300 SSD Samsung SH-S243N/BEBS Samsung SH-S243N/BEBS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H50 Windows 7-64bit Ultimate Samsung P2450H ASUS VS248H-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Bluetooth (First gen) BFG EX-1200 Thermaltake Black Armor Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 3700+ Abit Fatilty SLI 9600 GSO (48SP) 4 x 1 Gb DDR OCZ Platnium 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500 Gig - Samsung F3 Plextor DVD-R/RW Windows XP Pro (32Bit) POS 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$5 special at Target XFX 750Watt CM Scout Storm Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 88
Time for all of us to move to Oregon
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
Using your same logic, etailers have inherently lower operating costs since they don't need to support many retail stores all over the country (though they do need to have some sort of warehouse location hubs for the products, however you don't need nearly as many since they're mainly distribution centers rather than retail locations), store employees for sales in addition to customer support employees, etc. It's a level playing field.
It's hardly etailers fault that they have a better business model. Nobody forces Wal-Mart & Co to operate B&M stores, they can go completely online if they wish, but they wouldn't be able to sell the majority of their goods such as groceries. That's another advantage for them, people will still go and buy food in store. As you said, it's a level playing field, but I don't see why anything should be changed from how it is now because it is indeed a level playing field already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
If the location you are buying from does not have a store front / location located in your state then you do not need to worry about sales tax.

Wonder how this will ripple through eBay... will the seller need to worry about or will eBay need to take a cut / Pay pal taking a cut and then worrying about taxes?
In Canada we have both federal sales tax and provincial sales tax. You pay the federal no matter where you are, and the provincial only if they have a location in your province. So I assume the US has no federal sales tax at all..?
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
They're trying to take away the best part of online shopping Crap.
Agreed, and balls.
I would not circumvent paying sales tax if I didn't have an income tax... But we know that's never going to happen.
The Byte Mogul
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 E0 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.216v EP45-UD3P v1.1 XFX GTX260 2x 2GB GSkill Pi Black 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1x 250GB, PERC 6/i RAID5 4x F4 2TB Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell u2311h $3 Microcenter Cheap-O 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPN-750 CM590 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
The Byte Mogul
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 E0 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.216v EP45-UD3P v1.1 XFX GTX260 2x 2GB GSkill Pi Black 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1x 250GB, PERC 6/i RAID5 4x F4 2TB Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell u2311h $3 Microcenter Cheap-O 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPN-750 CM590 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 88
No surprise it's Virginia pushing the legislation. I hate this state (oh sorry I mean commonwealth!).
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxyll View Post
No surprise it's Virginia pushing the legislation. I hate this state (oh sorry I mean commonwealth!).
Yeah don't get a traffic ticket there.

In fact, just drive around the state. They should put a beltway around VA.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 88
How is no tax an advantage? 9 times out of 10, the shipping is significantly more than the tax would be, AND there is the added opportunity cost of having to wait for the product to arrive. I think the real reason brick and mortar stores are upset is that online stores tend to have lower overall prices, and they don't want to lose income by lowering their own prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriZzlEnLS View Post
We need sales tax on items from the internet. This tax money will be going to your home state. I am surprised this hasn't been changed faster. Don't get me wrong I like paying let money but we have tax for a reason and it should be implemented. Plus when doing taxes you are supposed to claim everything you bought out of state anyway which everyone SHOULD be doing.
Not only do I disagree with you, but rest assured this is not the reason brick and mortar stores are pushing for this. If they had the option of being tax exempt, they'd take it in a heartbeat.
Edited by timAHH - 3/18/11 at 9:57am
Slow and Crappy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 960 Asus Rampage II Gene GTX480 6x 2GB Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 120GB / 2x WD RE4 2TB RAID 1 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 Corsair TX850 V2 Lian-Li PC-A04B 
  hide details  
Reply
Slow and Crappy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 960 Asus Rampage II Gene GTX480 6x 2GB Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 120GB / 2x WD RE4 2TB RAID 1 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 Corsair TX850 V2 Lian-Li PC-A04B 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [WSJ] Large Retailers Join Push for Amazon Sales Tax in US