Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [WSJ] Large Retailers Join Push for Amazon Sales Tax in US
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WSJ] Large Retailers Join Push for Amazon Sales Tax in US - Page 5

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by timAHH View Post
How is no tax an advantage? 9 times out of 10, the shipping is significantly more than the tax would be, AND there is the added opportunity cost of having to wait for the product to arrive.
And they have to coordinate with a 3rd party to ship.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by _02 View Post
And they have to coordinate with a 3rd party to ship.
And then there's the chance of an item being DOA.
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
They're trying to take away the best part of online shopping? Crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockMonsi View Post
If freaking Texas gets online sales tax I'm getting the **** out.


Okay, maybe not...idk, we'll wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Torch View Post
Hmm Taxation without representation.....sound familiar?
*sigh* OK, a lot of people like these are totally clueless to the tax situation on the internet. Currently internet sales only require the retailer to collect and remit sales tax on an item when it is bought by a customer in a state where that retailer has a physical presence.

Lets say you buy from Newegg and you are from Michigan where Newegg has no physical presence. Under the current system Newegg would not have to collect a sales tax from you. The problem is that you still legally owe that sales tax and not paying it is technically tax evasion. The reason Newegg doesn't have to collect the tax is because it is a costly pain in the butt to collect sales taxes for every state. Changes like this suggested one are more likely to happen then ordering all online companies to deal with out of state sales tax because it is specifically targeting larger corporations that have the monetary backing and sales figures to warrant and afford collecting the sales tax.

Short version, this isn't a new tax and everybody and their mother is guilty of tax evasion due to the way these laws are set up but there is less chance of the government enforcing those taxes by charging you then there is for them to deal with piracy and since not collecting the tax doesn't effect individual politicians wallets and benefits companies...
My giant
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 lapped Asus P5n32-E 680i GeForce 9800GT 512MB 2x1GB (unused ATM) & 2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WDJS SATA-II 160GB + WD80GB + WDAAKS Raid0 320GB Aperature FSII 19" LCD Apevia DarkSide 600W 
Case
NZXT Zero 
  hide details  
Reply
My giant
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 lapped Asus P5n32-E 680i GeForce 9800GT 512MB 2x1GB (unused ATM) & 2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WDJS SATA-II 160GB + WD80GB + WDAAKS Raid0 320GB Aperature FSII 19" LCD Apevia DarkSide 600W 
Case
NZXT Zero 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
It's hardly etailers fault that they have a better business model. Nobody forces Wal-Mart & Co to operate B&M stores, they can go completely online if they wish, but they wouldn't be able to sell the majority of their goods such as groceries. That's another advantage for them, people will still go and buy food in store. As you said, it's a level playing field, but I don't see why anything should be changed from how it is now because it is indeed a level playing field already.



In Canada we have both federal sales tax and provincial sales tax. You pay the federal no matter where you are, and the provincial only if they have a location in your province. So I assume the US has no federal sales tax at all..?
They don't have a better business model, just a different one. It's a level playing field in terms of advantages and disadvantages of operations--it has nothing to do with the obligation of the resident consumer to pay sales tax regardless of whether the retailer imposes or whether the consumer reports it on their taxes. Just because it's not explicitly written into law that an etailer doesn't need to impose sales tax at the time of sale doesn't mean that sales tax still doesn't need to be paid. Legally, anything you purchase, whether or not sales tax was imposed at the time of purchase, you are obligated to pay sales tax on--it's just that no one does anything if they didn't have to pay sales tax at the time of purchase. This is just a way to ensure that the state gets the sales tax that it is legally entitled to, by enforcing it at the time of purchase. It's not unfair to the retailer or the consumer, and a necessary action since online purchases are becoming more and more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timAHH View Post
How is no tax an advantage? 9 times out of 10, the shipping is significantly more than the tax would be, AND there is the added opportunity cost of having to wait for the product to arrive. I think the real reason brick and mortar stores are upset is that online stores tend to have lower overall prices, and they don't want to lose income by lowering their own prices.

Not only do I disagree with you, but rest assured this is not the reason brick and mortar stores are pushing for this. If they had the option of being tax exempt, they'd take it in a heartbeat.
That's true, but it still doesn't mean that sales going to a specific location are exempt from sales tax. Regardless, the state is still entitled to sales tax for any purchases made by someone in that state whether the retailer adds it to the overall cost of the sale then pays out to the appropriate state, or whether the consumer reports it on their taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
And then there's the chance of an item being DOA.
You can have that with B&M stores too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
*sigh* OK, a lot of people like these are totally clueless to the tax situation on the internet. Currently internet sales only require the retailer to collect and remit sales tax on an item when it is bought by a customer in a state where that retailer has a physical presence.

Lets say you buy from Newegg and you are from Michigan where Newegg has no physical presence. Under the current system Newegg would not have to collect a sales tax from you. The problem is that you still legally owe that sales tax and not paying it is technically tax evasion. The reason Newegg doesn't have to collect the tax is because it is a costly pain in the butt to collect sales taxes for every state. Changes like this suggested one are more likely to happen then ordering all online companies to deal with out of state sales tax because it is specifically targeting larger corporations that have the monetary backing and sales figures to warrant and afford collecting the sales tax.

Short version, this isn't a new tax and everybody and their mother is guilty of tax evasion due to the way these laws are set up but there is less chance of the government enforcing those taxes by charging you then there is for them to deal with piracy and since not collecting the tax doesn't effect individual politicians wallets and benefits companies...
Amen.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 88
Somebody start up a website to boycott Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy Co., Home Depot Inc. and Sears Holdings Corp. Explain to the public what they are trying to do and why they should all boycott buying products from these schmucks.

These companies are just butt-hurt because they are losing sales to the internet. If anyone should be pissed because they are missing out on taxes is should be the states state sales tax that should have their panties in a bunch. Or should they ?........ they currently cant collect sales tax because the internet vendor has no physical presence in the state and therefore can not and should not collect sales tax. If I drive across the state line to buy something from some one who has no presence in my state...why should I pay my states sales tax on the item when the I drive it across my state line?
Edited by DannyM - 3/18/11 at 10:48am
Slaytanic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.2Ghz 1.232V Asus Rampage II Gene EVGA Classified GTX 570 SLI Mushkin 996805 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 120GB, VelociRaptor 300GB Blu Ray LG|GGC-H20L Windows 7 Professional x64 SAMSUNG S27A950D 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard FC200R... SeaSonic X750 Antec 902 Razer Imperator - Battlefield 3 Edition 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
Slaytanic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.2Ghz 1.232V Asus Rampage II Gene EVGA Classified GTX 570 SLI Mushkin 996805 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 120GB, VelociRaptor 300GB Blu Ray LG|GGC-H20L Windows 7 Professional x64 SAMSUNG S27A950D 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard FC200R... SeaSonic X750 Antec 902 Razer Imperator - Battlefield 3 Edition 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 88
Even if a law gets passed that out of state retailers need to collect sales tax in a given state the courts will, and have in the past, invalidate it.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkk View Post
So since they (the states) are facing a short fall due to bad money handling by local and state government they want to take it out on online retailers?
Texas has no state income tax.
post #48 of 88
If you buy from a company that is based out of your home state, you should pay no sales tax, PERIOD.

Where does the sales tax go if I live in California and a buy from a retailer in Florida? It sure doesn't go back to California that's for sure.
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
*sigh* OK, a lot of people like these are totally clueless to the tax situation on the internet. Currently internet sales only require the retailer to collect and remit sales tax on an item when it is bought by a customer in a state where that retailer has a physical presence.

Lets say you buy from Newegg and you are from Michigan where Newegg has no physical presence. Under the current system Newegg would not have to collect a sales tax from you. The problem is that you still legally owe that sales tax and not paying it is technically tax evasion. The reason Newegg doesn't have to collect the tax is because it is a costly pain in the butt to collect sales taxes for every state. Changes like this suggested one are more likely to happen then ordering all online companies to deal with out of state sales tax because it is specifically targeting larger corporations that have the monetary backing and sales figures to warrant and afford collecting the sales tax.

Short version, this isn't a new tax and everybody and their mother is guilty of tax evasion due to the way these laws are set up but there is less chance of the government enforcing those taxes by charging you then there is for them to deal with piracy and since not collecting the tax doesn't effect individual politicians wallets and benefits companies...


It's not tax evasion because you aren't evading anything, it is perfectly legal for Californians to drive to Oregon(which has no sales tax), buy a HDTV, pay no sales tax and take it back home.
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 88
Whatever. With tax, stuff is still cheaper online so it's not going to help retailers much.
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [WSJ] Large Retailers Join Push for Amazon Sales Tax in US