- Stealth DVD drive
Hello again all. I want to take a brief moment and say "Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!!" NFL preseason has started, and I'm one happy fan!
Friday night, I posted a checklist of things I wanted to get done this weekend. Here it is again to save you from scrolling:
Weekend To-Do list:
- fill unused holes in center wall
- CF vinyl install in main case
- drill tubing and wire passthru's from case into pedestal
- drill new mounting holes to connect the bottom case to the pedestal
- drill mounting hole for case feet and install
- finish new GPU bridge paint job
- finish stealth bluray drive
- mount motherboard, gpu's, pumps, FC, bluray drive, and fan/HDD cages sans wiring
- misc grinding of mounting screws
I got most of what I had planned on done, and I may still get to the repainting of the bridge piece tonite - we'll see how it goes. As far as pics go, I'm only showing the stealthed Bluray drive I did, as grinding screws and drilling holes good pictures they do not make.
Stealth DVD Drive
The What - Stealthing a drive means simply to take a faceplate from your case, and mod it in such a way that it hides the face of your dvd/cd drive and is hidden . . . or stealthed.
The Why - Because it produces a clean look all down the front of the case, and is just one more of those "wow" factors when you are showing off your mod!
The How - This is going to be slightly different for every case, and there are different ways to go about this. I have some mesh that CL sent me, but I wanted to use what other CL M8 owners would have on hand already. Here's what I did:
Here's what I started with:
- An Asus Blu-ray / DVD drive
- x2 5.25" bay mounts - painted red
- a single slot mesh face plate
- yellow CF Vinyl
I walked through the steps of vinyl wrapping in the last update, so I'll skip it here. This is a shot after wrapping, but prior to painting.
Then painted and mounting brackets installed
The first step is to cut off the mounting points on the face plate so the plate moves freely in and out of the case. Clamped down on my portable work bench.
Using a Dremel with a re-enforced cutting disk, I cut off the two mounting points so the plate had a flush border around all four sides.
I then mocked it up, and found that the DVD drive sat flush with the case stock, and this would add a 1/4" and thus stick out - not very stealthy. I had a couple options here, such as drill the drive mounting brackets so the drive sat back in the case more, but I already had the Dremel out so . . .
I decided to give the plate a shave, and started cutting down all four sides so it was just a flat plate. Here is a shot with 3 of the 4 sides shorn off.
Cutting the final side off - gotta have a few of these "artsy" pics in the log
Now we have a flat plate to work with.
I grinded all the edges flush - had to do a bit more after this shot was taken
Front side - it got a bit scuffed up but that is resolved in a few steps.
The front of the drive. The goal is to mount the mesh faceplate to the drive, be able to hit the open/close button easily, use no screws or attachments that can be seen on the outside, and keep it stealthed from view. A tall order, but a simple solution
I used some thick double sided foam tape, and cut it into three pieces. The pieces were cut to fit on the drawer only so the plate will move when the drawer opens. I also cut them so they would hide the labeling on the drawer. The side seen here has the backing removed so it will stick to the plate.
The drawer side still has the backing attached for now.
A couple quick shots of black spray paint covers the parts of the tape that are still white.
I then removed the backing from the drawer side of the tape - it did its job protecting the "sticky" from the paint.
Then I lined it up and pressed it home.
In normal non camera focus lighting, you cant see the tape at all unless you are looking at it. The kind I used is also very strong and takes some force to remove the plate - enough that the plate would bend a bit.
Another idea I had after was to use some electrical tape on the drawer labels and then use 3 smaller sections of tape - maybe next time.
These next shots show the drive installed in the new case. It will be more "stealthed" when the rest of the gear is installed, but you get the idea.
All the faceplates are now flush, and the drive has been installed. Perfect!
Since the new build doesn't have any power yet, I plugged the drive into my current rig. I'd call this a successful mod!!
That's it for me tonite. Hope you all enjoyed the pics in this update, I continue to experience frustration, excitement, and happiness at every turn with this build. It has been a challenge, but fun at the same time.
As always, questions, comments, concerns are encouraged! Please post and +rep if you like my work. Thank you for taking a look.
Until next time . . .