It's funny . . . or possibly sad . . . but definetly frustrating to have a project almost done, and have constant interruptions and lack of time to get it finished. Life has a habit of getting in the way of hobbies sometimes doesn't it?
My parts have arrived, and I'll be working on the build tonite when I get home. The first thing is to test the RMA'd motherboard and make sure it's working. Regardless of how it pans out, I will be starting the lighting tonite. This will be by far the most complicated lighting setup I've done in a PC build. I've had some that had 4-5 CCFLs on switches, and even had a client build that had some LED lighting run through an Arduino board and a custom control app.
For this setup I won't have to code a script, but it is still complicated in that everything must be clean and hidden. There is also a lot of back and forth wiring that must be done due to where everything is positioned from the PSU to the switch then out to the LEDs and back. Wiring an LED switch is simple, but the difficulty ramps up when you have 2-3 ft in between each connection and it all must be sleeved and hidden in a wide open case. Fun times!
Here's the parts list for the lighting project
x1 - 3pin Power Distro block
x2 - LED sticks - 12v source
1 green & 1 white
x7 - LAZER LED - 5v source
a mix of red, blue, green for the windows
x1 - NZXT LED kit - Amber
I wanted an Amber sunlight stick but they aren't out yet
x1 - White CCFL to light the reservoir from the inside out - waiting for it to ship from FrozenQ
x5 - LED Switches
and a few switches to control it all
I think I've got it all worked out on paper(knock on wood) and have done some brief testing. As I've found through this build already, no amount of planning allows you to foresee everything. The goal is to give each section a two tone color effect except the NAS which will all be green. For example: the FIRE window will have the etched pattern glowing red and the interior will be amber. When you look through the window, the red/amber colors plus the etched flames give it a FIRE feel.
All the wiring will again have to be custom length, and several of these kits will be wired together so more soldering, and of course everything will be sleeved in paracord. I do have a couple of wiring diagrams I've drawn up to keep it all straight - I can post them if people are interested
Work begins tonite!!