Painting of the fans
A few thoughts on painting fans . . .
Fans in general are pretty simple to pull apart pending enough patience to figure out each brand's trick for coming apart. The GTs were no different. Remove the sticker, pull the tiny clip from the center rod, and presto - seperation! The motor was a bit tricky until I realized you had to press in and turn slightly to get it to release.
I did not take pics of the dissassembly because the camera I'm using doesnt do close ups to well. I tried and everything was blurry and useless. For some good pics and write up for GT AP-15's specifically, see Nordar's build Here
Painting of the blades was a breeze. I did 4 light coats per side. I alternated the spray angle between each coat 90 degrees and let each coat dry 20-30 minutes before the next spray.
The housings are proving a bit trickier. Since I don't have a garage to work in, I'm spraying in the driveway with a slight wind blowing - not ideal. I think I've done half a dozen light coats on all the housings, and I'm finding the white especially isn't covering well. I'm going to let everything dry overnight and do another coat on the housings tomorrow. They don't look bad, but they are not as even as I'd like.
Below are pics of my weekend's labor. A few hours to dismantle them while watching a movie with the wife, and a full day of painting and drying today while doing various chores around the house and consuming a few adult beverages.
It is barely spring here in Alaska. 45 degrees and sunny today so I need to take advantage while I can. Here's a shot of my back yard
Pile of motors waiting to be sleeved and reinstalled. Poker anyone?
Undressed and ready to be painted
Front and back blades and housing showing what's been masked off
Multiple colors for 3 different color themes in different sections of the case - sure does complicate things
Overview of my low tech painting room. Make do with whatcha got!
After a full day of painting and several coates later . . . viola!
The housing colors are what the interior of the case will be painted. I wanted the housing to blend a bit and have the focus be on the fan blades. I hope this gives everyone out there an idea of the color scheme now. The golden color doesn't quite say "Fire" yet, but trust me . . . we'll get there!
Next up, an additional coat on the gold and white housings, sleeving of the motors, and then reassembly of all the fans.
That's it from me for tonite. Thank you for continuing to follow along. Feedback is always welcome.