So it has been a few weeks since my last post. The progress has been slower then I wanted, but life happens sometimes. Between busy at work and busy enjoying a bit of sun in the early summer, this project got put off a bit. I'm going to try to hit it hard the next few weeks and make some real progress.
Update 5 - Case prep continues
Spent some time at the lake - it's been a partial cause of the build being delayed.
The CaseLabs M8 comes with numerous wire management tie downs around the precut holes. Since I will be using carbon fiber vinyl, they are simply in the way.
A Dremel tool, a file, and a half hour later . . .
Nice and flat. Perfect!
Next up is to mount the res. The reservoir is going to be one of the main focal points, but I had a few concerns. Not only is this reservoir 400mm tall, it also must be held out 3.5" from the center wall in order to have it be centered in the new window. I was concerned about the weight of this res when it was filled and being held that far away from the mounting points. After a few conversations with the folks at FrozenQ, Alex created some custom mounts for me that work perfectly.
These shots show the drilling for the reservior mounts in the center wall, and the mock up of the res installed in the case.
I'm very happy how it turned out. I was worried that I would have measured it to short or would have to trim the mounts, but they are exactly the correct fit.
Next up I had to cut the pass thru hole from the res on the PSU side to where the pump will be on the motherboard side. I'm using all Bitspower fittings and pass thru's
Lining up where the fitting needs to be.
A crude circle around the fitting with a pen - and a few adjustments gave me a place to drill. I didn't have a step bit, and my local home improvement stores wanted $45 bucks . . . So instead I busted out a large 3/4" bit and bored the hole.
The bit dug into the aluminum after it started warming up and it jammed the bit. I had to go at it from both sides to finish the hole.
Here it is with the res mocked up - the res is just set in place now, but it will be flush when completed.
It turned out great if I do say so myself.
Well folks, that was going to be the end of the update, but today I received a box from CaseLabs. Could it be the special request I made of Jim? I think it might be . . .
Wrapped in bubble wrap, crafted perfectly like all of their products, I give you CaseLabs - modders mesh!
These sheets are 11" x 11.5" 20gauge steel. I requested the sheets be bare metal with no powder coating as I am going to be cutting and bending it anyway.
"Modders Mesh" has been sold out for awhile now from a few locations, and I couldn't find a pattern that matched CaseLabs, so I asked Jim to make me some. It's perfect for well . . . anything a modder could need mesh for. Myself, I plan on using it for hiding the wiring behind the front panel switch, a mount for the water pump, and replacing the boring solid PSU covers with a mesh cover instead.
In a future update, I will give a review of how well these work. It was important to keep the theme seamless through the build that the mesh pattern inside matched the mesh on the outside. After speaking with Jim, these were made for me as a limited run and not a full on accessory . . . yet. If you want some for your own build, contact CaseLabs here on OCN HERE
. You never know what he might be able to do for you.
I'm starting on the fan wiring and sleeving for the next update. Also big news for me, I placed my order for the just released ASUS Crosshair V motherboard. It should be in this week!!
Until next time. Thanks for following along.