- Pedestal and accessories get some color at last
Well, the weather held out for me. It was forecasted to rain all weekend and for the next few days. Saturday is was very windy, and today was threatning to rain all day. I took a chance and started painting the pedestal and all the pieces and parts of the main case. Thankfully it was only a bit windy and I was able to get some things accomplished. As I type this, a few sprinkles of started falling - timing is everything in life . . .
As has become a bit of a signature, here is another pic from Alaska. This one is of my back yard. I live in a beautiful place indeed.
My goal for the weekend was to tape / mask everything that needed paint . . . and then of course paint them! I give myself a B+ for completion as I didn't quite finish. I'm running into a design issue with cable management. On paper 2 months ago, I thought I had it figured out, but as these things sometimes go, once I got to that point in the build I realized my plans wouldn't work. I think I have a solution, but will have to try it out this week. All that to say, that the main case frame did not get painted.
But everything else did!
Note - to save on redundancy, I've posted a few general shots of the painting process and focused on the steps on only the pedestal and one panel instead of showing everything.
Tools for this update:
My back deck
5 cans Krylon spray paint
2 cans Rustoleum spray primer - grey (this stuff rocks!)
multiple grades of sand paper
can of air
When painting, it is always a good idea to clean your target prior to applying paint. Removing and particles and oils from your fingers or production will help with a better paint job.
Here is my chili pot (5 gal bucket ended up with a crack in the bottom) filled with warm water and couple drops of soap. Others use harsher chems, but this works for my purposes. Also note the coffee filters - these are lint free and are perfect for mopping up the water in corners and crevices after cleaning.
In this build, I am using 3 of these flex-bay mount HDD cages.
There are 8 screws holdling it all together. Here it is disassembled with the front mesh masked.
The pedestal, HDD cages, front and side panels, and the main case doors are masked and ready for paint. The rear panel of the motherboard tray is shown, but wasn't painted yet as I have to mask off additional areas still.
A long shot of my desk showing my work space. Sometimes I wish I had a garage/shop to work in, but you make do with what you got! Primer applied to a few pieces already
Everything sans pedestal is primed and drying. Most pieces received 2 coats of primer with a light sanding inbetween.
Starting to apply paint. This was the first coat I believe
Back to the work bench after priming and some paint. In total there were almost 30 individual pieces to paint today.
Here is the front panel of the M8. The left side is the motherboard side, and the right side with the mesh cut out is the PSU side. Since this panel spans both sides and hence two different color themes, I had to do some additional masking.
First step was to primer the whole panel. Then I painted the "Fire" side first.
I applied 3 coats letting the panel dry 15-20 minutes between each coat. Then I taped off the center line.
Next up I taped down some masking paper to protect the golden finish.
I then applied 3 coats of white on the "Ice side"
Finally, after letting it dry for about an hour, I removed the mask and the tape. Turned out quite well I think.
Ok, next up here are a few shots of the fully painted doors and accessories. They were all painted similar as described above - each receiving a few light coats and sandings as needed.
The last project for me to tackle was painting the pedestal that will eventually house my home NAS. It also served as a painting test for the main case.
Masked off, cleaned, and ready to go.
Note - I didn't bother fully masking the shown topside of the pedestal. This will be sandwiched under the M8 where it won't be seen so overspray isn't a concern here.
The side rails shown here are where the panels with the new windows are installed. I am painting these rails the same as the interior to tie it all together whenever the side panel is removed. Unnecessary, but a nice touch I thought.
Primer applied - 2 coats total with a sanding at the end of the 2nd coat. This primer was great stuff. I've used on a couple other projects and for a spray primer this is one of the best I've used.
After the first coat of primer, I found I had missed a few drops of water from the cleaning process that fell out when I flipped the pedestal during the first primer round. It mucked up the primer in a few spots. I sanded the spots and they looked fine after the 2nd coat.
For the last pic of the night, I give you the painted pedestal
This had 4 coats applied with a sanding between coats 2 & 3. I'm very happy with how it turned out. The green will be toned down when it has all the covers on and is not in direct sunlight. In person, it isn't quite so hulk green.
All the pieces still have the tape in place. I'm going to apply a clear coat finish in the next day or two as I have time. Once that drys, the masking will be removed.
All in all, a very productive update. I will be testing a few things this week, and hope to have some of my issues resolved. The goal is to paint the main case, and then I'll either begin the wiring or install the NAS - not sure yet.
Thank you for coming along for the ride. As always, please post any comments or questions. I hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I am. The fun stuff is starting to happen now, and I'm looking forward to seeing the build come to life.
Until next time . . .