Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Sapphire 6950's - Crossfire Yes or No?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sapphire 6950's - Crossfire Yes or No?

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
I bought 2...not sure after reading more after I bought them if I actually need 2. What kind of performance can I expect with 2 crossfired vs just having 1?

Oh, and does anyone know if the Sapphires are still flashable with the 6970 bios? I see conflicting responses in various other threads. Is there any way to tell by the bios of the GPU before the flash?

Thanks fellas!
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 48
Simple question, what games are you playing and at what resolution?
post #3 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Simple question, what games are you playing and at what resolution?
Hmmm. I hate to answer this cause you might murder me. I don't know yet. Depends on what this little setup will run and run well.
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 48
If it's just a single monitor, you'll probably only need one.
duck!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 450 @ 4.2GHz 1.48v ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Sapphire HD 6950 1GB + Powercolor HD 5770 G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Corsair F60 SSD + 2x Seagate 7200.12 1TB LG 22" W2242TQ 1680x1050 Seasonic S12D 750W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
duck!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 450 @ 4.2GHz 1.48v ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Sapphire HD 6950 1GB + Powercolor HD 5770 G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Corsair F60 SSD + 2x Seagate 7200.12 1TB LG 22" W2242TQ 1680x1050 Seasonic S12D 750W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 48
Put it this way, with 6850's in xfire you can expect to max out any game at 1080 on a single monitor with no problems at all. In all honesty you could probably do it with a single card.
post #6 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaaark View Post
If it's just a single monitor, you'll probably only need one.
Probably? lol that's not want I want to hear. I'm trying to build a system where "probably" doesn't come into the the equation.
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 48
I disagree with people who say crossfire is pointless for single monitors!
If you like the look of crossfire and makes you feel good that you get 60/120fps constantly in any scenario (Assuming vsync is on) then thats surely worth the price
Its why im going CF, not because i need it but because it looks cool!
Fate/Zero
(19 items)
 
Storage Server
(9 items)
 
 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Gigabyte N3150-D3V 8GB Crucial Non-ECC (Live life on the edge) Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB FreeNAS Corsair 350W 
Case
3U Logic Case SC-2306B-550B 
  hide details  
Reply
Fate/Zero
(19 items)
 
Storage Server
(9 items)
 
 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Gigabyte N3150-D3V 8GB Crucial Non-ECC (Live life on the edge) Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB FreeNAS Corsair 350W 
Case
3U Logic Case SC-2306B-550B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Amik Vase View Post
I disagree with people who say crossfire is pointless for single monitors!
If you like the look of crossfire and makes you feel good that you get 60/120fps constantly in any scenario (Assuming vsync is on) then thats surely worth the price
Its why im going CF, not because i need it but because it looks cool!
Amen!
Gene-Z Dedi
(7 items)
 
Captain America
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 2600k @ 5.2 Ghz Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Gskill 2133 4GB Caviar Black 
CoolingOSPower
Corsair H100 Arch x64 OCZ 650 Watt 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2650 Intel Xeon E5-2650 ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS XFX 6870 
RAMOS
32 GB Samsung Arch Nix 
  hide details  
Reply
Gene-Z Dedi
(7 items)
 
Captain America
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 2600k @ 5.2 Ghz Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Gskill 2133 4GB Caviar Black 
CoolingOSPower
Corsair H100 Arch x64 OCZ 650 Watt 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2650 Intel Xeon E5-2650 ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS XFX 6870 
RAMOS
32 GB Samsung Arch Nix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Amik Vase View Post
I disagree with people who say crossfire is pointless for single monitors!
If you like the look of crossfire and makes you feel good that you get 60/120fps constantly in any scenario (Assuming vsync is on) then thats surely worth the price
Its why im going CF, not because i need it but because it looks cool!
Now we're talkin. Is there anything I need to have to vsync?
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
1st Build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2600K P67A-UD7-B3 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill G.Skill Crucial C300 64gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 22x DVDRW Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Acer S231 LCD Logitech 920-000914 Black 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X4 1050W Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HootyHoo View Post
Now we're talkin. Is there anything I need to have to vsync?
No all it does is stops your screen being out of sync (The top and bottom halves refresh at different times)

edit: thanks for the rep
Fate/Zero
(19 items)
 
Storage Server
(9 items)
 
 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Gigabyte N3150-D3V 8GB Crucial Non-ECC (Live life on the edge) Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB FreeNAS Corsair 350W 
Case
3U Logic Case SC-2306B-550B 
  hide details  
Reply
Fate/Zero
(19 items)
 
Storage Server
(9 items)
 
 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Gigabyte N3150-D3V 8GB Crucial Non-ECC (Live life on the edge) Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Western Digital 4TB Western Digital 4TB FreeNAS Corsair 350W 
Case
3U Logic Case SC-2306B-550B 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Sapphire 6950's - Crossfire Yes or No?