Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Will it fit? Need help with build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will it fit? Need help with build

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3
CPU: i7 2600K
GPU: EVGA SC 570
Case: IDK
HDD: WD Caviar Black
CD Drive: Cheap $20 Asus
PSU: Seasonic X 850W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Any good fans to fill up case

So will the above parts all fit in the case and work? And will the NH-D14 fit if i mount it to blow air out the back? Im worried about the RAM heatspreaders being too tall and blocking it. And any recommendations for a 120mm or 140mm would be nice.

I'm now just looking for a home(case) for my parts. I took out a measuring tape and realized that the HAF-X is not as big as i thought, and i wouldn't mind a case of that size. Now thats outta the way, can someone tell me what case will provide the lowest temps(with most/all fans) and still has some other useful features. I would prefer one with dust filters covering all the mesh parts. Just make sure it can fit the NH-D14 with side fans installed, as well as possibly larger CPU's in the future.
Edited by nawon72 - 3/19/11 at 3:10pm
post #2 of 15
Seems like the NH-D14 would fit, at least by that thread: http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/695424-noctua-nh-d14-cm-storm-scout.html

Not sure about the RAM's, if you want to count for sure buy RAMs with lower heatsinks like HyperX blu's.

Edit: umm Sniper not Scout... Hard to say are they comparable, wait a second I'll search more.

2nd edit: "I would imagine it would still fit since the SS is 10" wide and the D-14 is only 6.3" tall.
You have @3" to work with provided the side panel fan isn't thicker then that.
I doubt the side panel fan is much thicker then an inch or two."
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
Vaio S15
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 7700K Asus Z270M-Plus Asus GTX1070 DUAL O8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Buffalo USB drive Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 AOC G2770PF Acer K272HLEbd Logitech G710+ MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550x Fractal Design Define Mini C Steelseries Rival 300 Steelseries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
HiFiMAN HE-400 O2+ODAC ModMic 4.0 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3612QM Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 8GB DDR3 750GB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Kingston HyperX Beast 120GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 15.5" 1080p IPS Logitech M510 
Other
Sheet battery 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
Vaio S15
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 7700K Asus Z270M-Plus Asus GTX1070 DUAL O8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Buffalo USB drive Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 AOC G2770PF Acer K272HLEbd Logitech G710+ MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550x Fractal Design Define Mini C Steelseries Rival 300 Steelseries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
HiFiMAN HE-400 O2+ODAC ModMic 4.0 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3612QM Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 8GB DDR3 750GB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Kingston HyperX Beast 120GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 15.5" 1080p IPS Logitech M510 
Other
Sheet battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 15
yes they will fit perfectly the only thing you should be worried about is dust build up in your case but otherwise it's fine

but 1 question...

WHY NO SSD frown.gif

other than that it's all good and MAKE SURE that you buy a b3 rev board smile.gif
Vision Black
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz 24/7 ASRock 870 Extreme 3 HIS ATI Radeon 6870 Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 2x2Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200 500Gb+WD Caviar Green 500gb Samsung Super Writemaster Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 19" VA912 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Low-profile / Dell OEM KB CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 650W Antec One Hundred Razer Lachesis @3500dpi 500Hz ultrapolling 
Mouse Pad
None ?? Does it matter 
  hide details  
Reply
Vision Black
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz 24/7 ASRock 870 Extreme 3 HIS ATI Radeon 6870 Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 2x2Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200 500Gb+WD Caviar Green 500gb Samsung Super Writemaster Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 19" VA912 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Low-profile / Dell OEM KB CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 650W Antec One Hundred Razer Lachesis @3500dpi 500Hz ultrapolling 
Mouse Pad
None ?? Does it matter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 15
CM Storm sniper was able to hold a V8 easily WITH side fan on.

So yeah, I reckon a DH-14 will fit.

Also, really nice looking build there smile.gif Dont let that HDD be the only bottleneck in your system wink.gif , Pop in an SSD if you have the money.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 540 P7H55M-Pro XFX 6770 OCZ Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2E  Samsung F4 Maxtor DiamondMax 23 LG Super-multi Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper212+ Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit LG W2361V Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX430v2 Coolermaster Elite 335 Logitech MX518 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar DG Logitech Z523 2.1 Speakers Sennheiser PC350 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 540 P7H55M-Pro XFX 6770 OCZ Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2E  Samsung F4 Maxtor DiamondMax 23 LG Super-multi Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper212+ Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit LG W2361V Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX430v2 Coolermaster Elite 335 Logitech MX518 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar DG Logitech Z523 2.1 Speakers Sennheiser PC350 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuKrype;12787825 
yes they will fit perfectly the only thing you should be worried about is dust build up in your case but otherwise it's fine

but 1 question...

WHY NO SSD frown.gif

other than that it's all good and MAKE SURE that you buy a b3 rev board smile.gif

How would the case get dust build up? As far as i know, all the mesh parts are covered with dust filters except for the PSU i think.

WHY SSD COST SO MUCH? That, and the Vertex 3 is coming out soon i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernoRS;12787821 
Seems like the NH-D14 would fit, at least by that thread: http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/695424-noctua-nh-d14-cm-storm-scout.html

Not sure about the RAM's, if you want to count for sure buy RAMs with lower heatsinks like HyperX blu's.

Edit: umm Sniper not Scout... Hard to say are they comparable, wait a second I'll search more.

2nd edit: "I would imagine it would still fit since the SS is 10" wide and the D-14 is only 6.3" tall.
You have @3" to work with provided the side panel fan isn't thicker then that.
I doubt the side panel fan is much thicker then an inch or two."

Part of the reason i'm getting that RAM is that it is $30 off, so i think its a good deal. And I would think that the RAM situation would be the same on anyone else's build. So if someone else fit the NH-D14 blowing air out the back with Ripjaws X, then i think it should work for me to.

Any other recommendations would be nice, including a different case. My requirements for the case are: Mid-Tower, lots of airflow(for good temps), sturdy, has lots of room for large parts(CPU heatsink, GPU's ect...), has good cable management, lots of thumb screws or other conveniences, and doesn't look like its made of scraps(looks aren't that important).

If you could answer these things as well, that would be a bonus. Could i use a RAM fan with the NH-D14 in any configuration(blowing out top ect...)? And is my PSU a little bit too much? I plan to SLI later on when i need the boost, as well as overclock. I would also like the power supply to work for a minimum of 3 years, so it needs to be a bit bigger for upgrades and degrading capacitors.
Edited by nawon72 - 3/19/11 at 1:33am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12787926 
How would the case get dust build up? As far as i know, all the mesh parts are covered with dust filters except for the PSU i think.

PSU really needs a dust filter cause if it builds up there it can fire up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12787926 
WHY SSD COST SO MUCH? That, and the Vertex 3 is coming out soon i think.

They are still kind of new tech and they're damn fast compared to normal drives, I suggest you to get a Crucial C300 like I have (64/128/256), pop it into the SATA6GBs port and you'll see an damn nice speed increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12787926 
Part of the reason i'm getting that RAM is that it is $30 off, so i think its a good deal. And I would think that the RAM situation would be the same on anyone else's build. So if someone else fit the NH-D14 blowing air out the back with Ripjaws X, then i think it should work for me to.

Yeah if it's 30% off get it, Ripjaws' are very good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12787926 
Any other recommendations would be nice, including a different case. My requirements for the case are: Mid-Tower, lots of airflow(for good temps), sturdy, has lots of room for large parts(CPU heatsink, GPU's ect...), has good cable management, lots of thumb screws or other conveniences, and doesn't look like its made of scraps(looks aren't that important).

I like my Fractal Design Define R3 very much (titanium color), the basic airflow might not be too good but since now I have added three fans to the case it keeps the temps down pretty well. The case is a quality one, silent, looks very clean.

There's actually one NH-D14 fit in it, he/she has removed the top fan for some reason tho. http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/585/fractal024.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12787926 
If you could answer these things as well, that would be a bonus. Could i use a RAM fan with the NH-D14 in any configuration(blowing out top ect...)? And is my PSU a little bit too much? I plan to SLI later on when i need the boost, as well as overclock. I would also like the power supply to work for a minimum of 3 years, so it needs to be a bit bigger for upgrades and degrading capacitors.

You won't need a RAM fan and i doubt it won't fit there anyways. PSU is never too much, just always check it's a quality one.
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
Vaio S15
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 7700K Asus Z270M-Plus Asus GTX1070 DUAL O8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Buffalo USB drive Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 AOC G2770PF Acer K272HLEbd Logitech G710+ MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550x Fractal Design Define Mini C Steelseries Rival 300 Steelseries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
HiFiMAN HE-400 O2+ODAC ModMic 4.0 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3612QM Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 8GB DDR3 750GB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Kingston HyperX Beast 120GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 15.5" 1080p IPS Logitech M510 
Other
Sheet battery 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
Vaio S15
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 7700K Asus Z270M-Plus Asus GTX1070 DUAL O8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Buffalo USB drive Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 AOC G2770PF Acer K272HLEbd Logitech G710+ MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550x Fractal Design Define Mini C Steelseries Rival 300 Steelseries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
HiFiMAN HE-400 O2+ODAC ModMic 4.0 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3612QM Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 8GB DDR3 750GB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Kingston HyperX Beast 120GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 15.5" 1080p IPS Logitech M510 
Other
Sheet battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
PSU really needs a dust filter cause if it builds up there it can fire up.
Watch this video and Skip to 4:48: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdXog4d2eqs"]Storm Sniper[/ame] How would i be able to put a dust filter there with the raised PSU footing?
Quote:
I suggest you to get a Crucial C300 like I have (64/128/256), pop it into the SATA6GBs port and you'll see an damn nice speed increase.
Im still unsure if i should get an SSD right away, and i could always upgrade later. And i forgot to mention i have a budget of $2000 total for my parents money(i have to buy all periphals with this), and anything over that i have to pay myself. Assuming i get a $300 monitor, im already paying $25 of my own money on this build. I don't really feel like paying a couple hundred dollars for an SSD just yet.
Quote:
I like my Fractal Design Define R3 very much (titanium color), the basic airflow might not be too good but since now I have added three fans to the case it keeps the temps down pretty well. The case is a quality one, silent, looks very clean.

There's actually one NH-D14 fit in it, he/she has removed the top fan for some reason tho. http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/585/fractal024.jpg
Im not really interested in that case since it doesn't have as good airflow. And what exactly are you trying to show me with that link? That person is using a different RAM.
Quote:
Yeah if it's 30% off get it, Ripjaws' are very good stuff.
Its actually 23% off($130 to $100). And you didn't really tell me whether or not the RAM will fit with the NH-D14 blowing out the back.
Quote:
You won't need a RAM fan and i doubt it won't fit there anyways. PSU is never too much, just always check it's a quality one.
Do you mean will? And i do intend to overclock my RAM, so i thought i might need a fan to keeps he temps down. As far as i know, the Seasonic X-850 is one of, if not the best 850W PSU's right now although its downside is that its a little pricey and the warranty isn't as long as the Corsair AX850.
Edit: I forgot to ask: Is the PSU sufficient for SLI and overclocking? Im assuming it is since you said "PSU is never too much"
Edited by nawon72 - 3/19/11 at 2:36am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12788137 
Im not really interested in that case since it doesn't have as good airflow. And what exactly are you trying to show me with that link? That person is using a different RAM.

I was trying to show that it fits in that case. I really have no complaints with it's airflow, it keeps my 1055T and GTX570 cool nicely cause it takes air from the bottom too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12788137 
Its actually 23% off($130 to $100). And you didn't really tell me whether or not the RAM will fit with the NH-D14 blowing out the back.
I have no idea does it cause I don't have neither of them. Just try to google it.



And for the case, Coolermaster 690 II Advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72;12788137 
Do you mean will? And i do intend to overclock my RAM, so i thought i might need a fan to keeps he temps down. As far as i know, the Seasonic X-850 is one of, if not the best 850W PSU's right now although its downside is that its a little pricey and the warranty isn't as long as the Corsair AX850.
I think it won't fit, sorry if I said it wrong, I don't speak english natively. The RAM fan is usually just an additional noise maker, no real affection on anything, the RAM will not usually get too hot even if you OC it. Seasonic and Enermax PSU's are very good stuff, most Corsairs too, except the CX builder series is a little off that line. AX should be OK.
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
Vaio S15
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 7700K Asus Z270M-Plus Asus GTX1070 DUAL O8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Buffalo USB drive Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 AOC G2770PF Acer K272HLEbd Logitech G710+ MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550x Fractal Design Define Mini C Steelseries Rival 300 Steelseries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
HiFiMAN HE-400 O2+ODAC ModMic 4.0 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3612QM Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 8GB DDR3 750GB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Kingston HyperX Beast 120GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 15.5" 1080p IPS Logitech M510 
Other
Sheet battery 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(19 items)
 
Vaio S15
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 7700K Asus Z270M-Plus Asus GTX1070 DUAL O8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Buffalo USB drive Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 AOC G2770PF Acer K272HLEbd Logitech G710+ MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550x Fractal Design Define Mini C Steelseries Rival 300 Steelseries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
HiFiMAN HE-400 O2+ODAC ModMic 4.0 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3612QM Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 8GB DDR3 750GB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Kingston HyperX Beast 120GB SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 15.5" 1080p IPS Logitech M510 
Other
Sheet battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
So, any ideas on how to cover the PSU bottom intake with a dust filter? If you tell me what kind of material that is used in the dust filters, i could try to ghetto rig something.
Edit The side panel doesn't have a dust filter according to Hardware Canucks, but a person on youtube who has it said every part with ventilation has some sort of filter.

I could not find the height of the RAM anywhere, but the Noctua site says this:
Quote:
How much clearance for RAM or chipset coolers does the NH-D14 provide?
The NH-D14 provides 44mm clearance for near-socket components:
It also says i cant use Corsair Dominator RAM unless i remove the top part of its heatsink.

For whether or not the heatsink will fit, the site says this:
Quote:
How can I check whether my case is wide/high enough for the cooler?
In order to check whether the cooler isn’t too high for your case, please measure the distance from the motherboard tray to the side panel (tower cases) or top panel (desktop cases). If this distance is bigger than the height of the cooler + 15mm (mainboard spacers + mainboard + CPU), the height/width of your case should be sufficient.
But the Cooler Master USA site is terrible and doesn't give any internal measurements.
Edited by nawon72 - 3/19/11 at 3:22am
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking of keeping everything on this build, except i cant seem to find a case that is a perfect match for me. I would get the HAF-X, except that it is fricken huge and i'm assuming that it has a higher chance to fall over than a Mid-tower. Basically, i want a Mid-Tower version of the HAF-X, without sacrificing too many features. Im not interested in any older cases such as the HAF 922 or 912 since they dont have the same features as the newer HAF-X. Once i figure out what case to get, ill be ordering the parts ASAP. But that's only if i find out that the NH-D14 fits with the RAM i mentioned above in the first post. If your suggesting a case, please remember, High Air Flow. You may also try to convince me to get the HAF-X if you like.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Will it fit? Need help with build