Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Asus ML249H MVA Panel vs Asus ML239H IPS Panel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus ML249H MVA Panel vs Asus ML239H IPS Panel.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm about to make a purchase on Newegg and i can't decide which monitor i should get to replace my Asus VH238H which i will return next week.
I mainly play Starcraft 2, WoW, Magicka and probably some FPS like BC2,etc.. My question is, which monitor should i go for? I personally want to go with the 24" since i like the bigger size smile.gif. I also like the look of Asus monitors so you don't need to tell me it looks bad.
The 24" Asus ML249H has MVA Panel and has 8ms GTG.
The 23" ML239H has IPS Panel and has 5ms.
I'm not an expert about monitors by any means so that's why i don't know what to choose from smile.gif.
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 23
The 24" is only 20 dollars more, get it! In the long run it will be worth it. I need to save up some for once myself.
Containment
(18 items)
 
Metamorphosis
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 955BE Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 Asus GTX560ti 12GB DDR3 1333 CL7 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Spinpoint F3 750GB Seagate 1TB None Custom loop 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W7 Ultimate x64 Asus ML249H Asus VE228H Alienware TactX 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 550W Antec 902 Alienware TactX Razer Sphex 
AudioAudio
E-MU 0404 USB Ultrasone DJ1 Pro Headphones 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5405 Xeon E5405 SuperMicro X7DA3 ATI X1800 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
16GB DDR2 FB-DIMM Various Hyper 101 Hyper 101 
OSMonitorPowerCase
ESXi 5.0 Headless Antec NEO ECO 620W Rosewill RSV-L4000 
MouseMouse PadOtherOther
None None HP P400 IPMI Card 
Other
HP Dual Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Containment
(18 items)
 
Metamorphosis
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 955BE Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 Asus GTX560ti 12GB DDR3 1333 CL7 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Spinpoint F3 750GB Seagate 1TB None Custom loop 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W7 Ultimate x64 Asus ML249H Asus VE228H Alienware TactX 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 550W Antec 902 Alienware TactX Razer Sphex 
AudioAudio
E-MU 0404 USB Ultrasone DJ1 Pro Headphones 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5405 Xeon E5405 SuperMicro X7DA3 ATI X1800 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
16GB DDR2 FB-DIMM Various Hyper 101 Hyper 101 
OSMonitorPowerCase
ESXi 5.0 Headless Antec NEO ECO 620W Rosewill RSV-L4000 
MouseMouse PadOtherOther
None None HP P400 IPMI Card 
Other
HP Dual Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
I know that the 24" is only like $20 more but then it's MVA panel. Are there any big differences between MVA panel and IPS panel?
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 23
The VA is 8bit the IPS is 6bit.
the VA has better contrast (3X the IPS)
the IPS has problems with purple glow at angles (so from dead on if sitting too close the sides are purple)
the VA panel (i believe) is the same as the BenQ EW2420 and BL2400PT, and had quality control issues with regards to blue tinting along the corners and a lot of variation between models from BenQ, whether that is the fault of BenQ or AU optronics (panel maker or monitor maker) i do not know, but if it was AUOs fault then the same things are a problem here. if you get a good panel though its one of the best low-end LCD panels ever released (and rivals some top end panels!)
CRAY lite
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II X4 955 asus M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX 460 OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
G.Skill Falcon 64GB (SSD) OCZ StealthXStream 700w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
CRAY lite
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II X4 955 asus M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX 460 OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
G.Skill Falcon 64GB (SSD) OCZ StealthXStream 700w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 23
^^ good info, +rep
Containment
(18 items)
 
Metamorphosis
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 955BE Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 Asus GTX560ti 12GB DDR3 1333 CL7 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Spinpoint F3 750GB Seagate 1TB None Custom loop 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W7 Ultimate x64 Asus ML249H Asus VE228H Alienware TactX 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 550W Antec 902 Alienware TactX Razer Sphex 
AudioAudio
E-MU 0404 USB Ultrasone DJ1 Pro Headphones 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5405 Xeon E5405 SuperMicro X7DA3 ATI X1800 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
16GB DDR2 FB-DIMM Various Hyper 101 Hyper 101 
OSMonitorPowerCase
ESXi 5.0 Headless Antec NEO ECO 620W Rosewill RSV-L4000 
MouseMouse PadOtherOther
None None HP P400 IPMI Card 
Other
HP Dual Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Containment
(18 items)
 
Metamorphosis
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 955BE Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 Asus GTX560ti 12GB DDR3 1333 CL7 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Spinpoint F3 750GB Seagate 1TB None Custom loop 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W7 Ultimate x64 Asus ML249H Asus VE228H Alienware TactX 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 550W Antec 902 Alienware TactX Razer Sphex 
AudioAudio
E-MU 0404 USB Ultrasone DJ1 Pro Headphones 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5405 Xeon E5405 SuperMicro X7DA3 ATI X1800 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
16GB DDR2 FB-DIMM Various Hyper 101 Hyper 101 
OSMonitorPowerCase
ESXi 5.0 Headless Antec NEO ECO 620W Rosewill RSV-L4000 
MouseMouse PadOtherOther
None None HP P400 IPMI Card 
Other
HP Dual Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Yup thanks for the info. Rep+
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle-reece;12824589 
The VA is 8bit the IPS is 6bit.
the VA has better contrast (3X the IPS)
the IPS has problems with purple glow at angles (so from dead on if sitting too close the sides are purple)
the VA panel (i believe) is the same as the BenQ EW2420 and BL2400PT, and had quality control issues with regards to blue tinting along the corners and a lot of variation between models from BenQ, whether that is the fault of BenQ or AU optronics (panel maker or monitor maker) i do not know, but if it was AUOs fault then the same things are a problem here. if you get a good panel though its one of the best low-end LCD panels ever released (and rivals some top end panels!)


What are you smoking? IPS panels are almost always better than VA. Unless you had a ridiculously expensive VA and a really cheap IPS, the IPS will always be better in terms of picture, colors, and response time.

How does the VA have 3 times the contrast ratio of the IPS? Unless you have seen them in person, this a crock of ****. Specs for contrast ratio are also useless (but they are the same!).

IPS does not have problems with purple glow either - at least to the extent you mentioned. Sometimes you will see a slight purple hue on a black screen when viewing from wides angles. The panel being used in the IPS monitor has also never been used in any other monitor, so you can't really say anything about it.

AND both monitors appear to be 8 bit. Where are you getting your data from?


Seriously, whoever originally asked this question, do not listen to this moron. Go with the IPS monitor. There's a reason they're generally accepted as the best. Here's a link for a comparison of the 3 different technologies. I have a Dell U2211H monitor (E-IPS panel) and absolutely love it. Once you have an IPS monitor you can never go back to a TN. I also game on it and there's minimal ghosting (response time is 8ms GTG).

I myself am probably going to be picking up this ASUS IPS LED Monitor. I am just waiting to see at least a couple reviews before I make my purchase because the return policy is a ***** and I'd like to see the stats for input lag and how well it does in terms of gaming. BUT, if I had to choose between these two, it's a no brainer. Get the IPS.
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTruth;12836386 
What are you smoking? IPS panels are almost always better than VA. Unless you had a ridiculously expensive VA and a really cheap IPS, the IPS will always be better in terms of picture, colors, and response time.

How does the VA have 3 times the contrast ratio of the IPS? Unless you have seen them in person, this a crock of ****. Specs for contrast ratio are also useless (but they are the same!).

IPS does not have problems with purple glow either - at least to the extent you mentioned. Sometimes you will see a slight purple hue on a black screen when viewing from wides angles. The panel being used in the IPS monitor has also never been used in any other monitor, so you can't really say anything about it.

AND both monitors appear to be 8 bit. Where are you getting your data from?


Seriously, whoever originally asked this question, do not listen to this moron. Go with the IPS monitor. There's a reason they're generally accepted as the best. Here's a link for a comparison of the 3 different technologies. I have a Dell U2211H monitor (E-IPS panel) and absolutely love it. Once you have an IPS monitor you can never go back to a TN. I also game on it and there's minimal ghosting (response time is 8ms GTG).

I myself am probably going to be picking up this ASUS IPS LED Monitor. I am just waiting to see at least a couple reviews before I make my purchase because the return policy is a ***** and I'd like to see the stats for input lag and how well it does in terms of gaming. BUT, if I had to choose between these two, it's a no brainer. Get the IPS.


hm let's see.
from panel specs 8bit vs 6 bit
from the panel specs 3000:1 vs 1000:1 VA wins
from reviews of monitors using the same panels 2995:1 vs 933:1 VA wins

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_ew2420.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_ea232wmi.htm

it seems to me that you are the one who has no clue what they are talking about, next you'll be trying to say you've got a 8bit monitor!
now kindly get a clue or cease posting.
Edited by kyle-reece - 3/23/11 at 11:55am
CRAY lite
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II X4 955 asus M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX 460 OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
G.Skill Falcon 64GB (SSD) OCZ StealthXStream 700w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
CRAY lite
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II X4 955 asus M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX 460 OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
G.Skill Falcon 64GB (SSD) OCZ StealthXStream 700w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle-reece;12840339 
hm let's see.
from panel specs 8bit vs 6 bit
from the panel specs 3000:1 vs 1000:1 VA wins
from reviews of monitors using the same panels 2995:1 vs 933:1 VA wins

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_ew2420.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_ea232wmi.htm

it seems to me that you are the one who has no clue what they are talking about.
now kindly get a clue or ****

Contrast does not equal color accuracy. Contrast doesn't tell you how good the colors look.That being said, the IPS monitors usually have superior color accuracy compared to VA panels.

The VA panel will also be worse for gaming. Ghosting will be more apparent. IPS is a clear winner here.
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
Toki
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
[i7 860] [XFX 5870] [4x2gb] [WD 500gb] 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[W7] [HP LP3065 - CrossOver 27Q LED-P - Acer x243w] Ducky DK1087-CELLB Tenkeyless, MX Blue - Steels... [LC power 750W] 
Audio
[ATH-A700] + [Asus Xonar DG] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Zant;12840374 
Contrast does not equal color accuracy. Contrast doesn't tell you how good the colors look.That being said, the IPS monitors usually have superior color accuracy compared to VA panels.

The VA panel will also be worse for gaming. Ghosting will be more apparent. IPS is a clear winner here.

^This.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Asus ML249H MVA Panel vs Asus ML239H IPS Panel.