Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Cevat Yerli. Why PC isn't important anymore?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cevat Yerli. Why PC isn't important anymore? - Page 8

post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post
Guy, people have been pirating for decades. Music, movies, games.. Just because someone pirates something DOESN'T mean they would have bought it. Most pirates don't even play the damn games.

I know when I was young I would download everything that I didn't buy, installed them, burned them fired it up once and tossed in the closest. A lot of people do this just because they can.
But the thing is, if the pirates were left with no alternative on a game they REALLY want to play, that they are unable to pirate, what will they do? They will buy the game. I don't care for the xx% of pirates that wouldn't buy it no matter what, I completely agree with you that lost sales to piracy does not equal amount pirated, but I never said otherwise, so I'm just clearing that up.

As far as downloading and then tossing, I doubt you would do that after you made a real monetary investment in the enjoyment you will have of that game. You don't get the same 'good' feeling as when you support the developers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by heraisu View Post
False. All 3 consoles can be made to run backups without a modchip these days.
Even so, that doesn't make the process anywhere near as simple or easy as it is on PC.

I imagine when you say without a modchip, you are referring to the cost and labor involved in using a modchip to begin with, right? Even with these processes that don't involve chips, you are required to do some things that will require money and labor, such as flashing a drive. Most 360's can't be flashed because of the DVD drive they have, so you would have to buy a whole new 360 that is capable just to flash it, because the DVD drive key is linked to that console.
Edited by Madman340 - 3/21/11 at 11:29am
post #72 of 83
These threads make me scream!
This guy I knew had a:
ps1 - chipped over 40 games Easy to put a chip in...
ps2 -chipped over 60 games Easy to put a clip in the drive to act like it's closed then get a dvd off internet to boot games
psp - flashed max 10 games Terribly easy
nintendo ds - R4 card 40+ games Ugh you buy a $10 card and micro sd card
wii - modded ~15 games or so. Twilight hack?
(2) 360's - dvd drives flashed over 15 games Flashed the dvd drives with his pc.

He NEVER BOUGHT ANY OF THEM after downloading.

PC - pirated probably 20 - 30 games... over 15+ years Use some programs...

Purchased about 15-20 of them. If he liked a game and want to play online he went out and get it, because 99% of the games he downloaded you can NOT play online even with a crack. He knows there are ways (hamachi and tungle(sp?)) it's just so much easier to purchase the game then work around it. I was tempted to go out and get a ps3 because of what you can do to them...

Some of you may not like what I just typed, but oh well.
He's since cleaned up his act and have been playing WoW for about 3 years now lol!

Something else just popped in my head too... My friend used to go rent nintendo games and open them up with a screwdriver and swap that rented games' insides with his own games' insides lol! Talk about being easy!
Edited by NeRoToXeN - 3/21/11 at 11:43am
White Devil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 Kraken X61 Win10 Acer 24'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Corsair HX850i Corsair 760T Logitec 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
White Devil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 Kraken X61 Win10 Acer 24'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Corsair HX850i Corsair 760T Logitec 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeRoToXeN View Post
These threads make me scream!
This guy I knew had a:
ps1 - chipped over 40 games
ps2 -chipped over 60 games
psp - flashed max 10 games
nintendo ds - R4 card 40+ games
wii - modded ~15 games or so.
(2) 360's - dvd drives flashed over 15 games

He NEVER BOUGHT ANY OF THEM after downloading.

PC - pirated probably 20 - 30 games... over 15+ years

Purchased about 15-20 of them. If he liked a game and want to play online he went out and get it, because 99% of the games he downloaded you can NOT play online even with a crack. He knows there are ways (hamachi and tungle(sp?)) it's just so much easier to purchase the game then work around it. I was tempted to go out and get a ps3 because of what you can do to them...

Some of you may not like what I just typed, but oh well.
He's since cleaned up his act and have been playing WoW for about 3 years now lol!

Something else just popped in my head too... My friend used to go rent nintendo games and open them up with a screwdriver and swap that rented games' insides with his own games' insides lol! Talk about being easy!
Sounds like a very extreme case, and I can't help but think you are fudging the numbers. A pirate like that would definitely not suffice with...
Quote:
PC - pirated probably 20 - 30 games... over 15+ years
You seem to know a lot about a guy you once knew in terms of how many games he's pirated, purchased, consoles he's owned as well as whether or not he's owned any legitimate copies.

Just saying, you are very clearly biased in your logic and it shines brightly.
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
Sounds like a very extreme case, and I can't help but think you are fudging the numbers. A pirate like that would definitely not suffice with...


You seem to know a lot about a guy you once knew in terms of how many games he's pirated, purchased, consoles he's owned as well as whether or not he's owned any legitimate copies.

Just saying, you are very clearly biased in your logic and it shines brightly.
Take it how you want, but I know him personally
How would they be fudged? If you have 100+ games to play on a console wouldn't you play them? Wouldn't they take up quite a bit of your time?
White Devil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 Kraken X61 Win10 Acer 24'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Corsair HX850i Corsair 760T Logitec 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
White Devil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Z170-A EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 Kraken X61 Win10 Acer 24'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Corsair HX850i Corsair 760T Logitec 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 83
I have less than 10 games for my 360 that take up quite a bit of my time, so the amount of games is irrelevant. Either way, this is a pointless argument.

Because, you see, I have a friend that I know very personally that... (I think you see where I am coming from now.)

Also, you previously said you knew him, implying you do not any more, so you would be recalling these things from memory. But to try and enforce your argument, you are now (possibly subconsciously) saying you know him personally.
post #76 of 83
From what I can see, once again they are using piracy has a scapgoat for a half assed game. The beta was leaked because there was on PC demo. The fact that Crytek is sucking on MS money tite just goes to prove that they dont care about the PC anymore. Yes consoles are making more money but you have an entire audience your forgetting about. Also, the beta didnt get pirated that much.

http://torrentfreak.com/crysis-2-lea...d-fest-110213/
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_cannonfodder View Post
From what I can see, once again they are using piracy has a scapgoat for a half assed game. The beta was leaked because there was on PC demo. The fact that Crytek is sucking on MS money tite just goes to prove that they dont care about the PC anymore. Yes consoles are making more money but you have an entire audience your forgetting about. Also, the beta didnt get pirated that much.

http://torrentfreak.com/crysis-2-lea...d-fest-110213/
I don't think you can simply call it a scapegoat when they developed Crysis, which was pirated the most apparently. If you are suggesting they are just lazy developers, take a look at the hard work they put into Crysis, that amazing water, animations, graphic quality, particle effects, all of it. Now look at the sales of the game, and daunting statistic of piracy that severely overshadows it.

My primary reason for even posting in this thread is to point out to the people who think developers are just being lazy, the people that say it's just as much of a problem on consoles, and the pirates, that it really is all your fault. If pirates continue as they have these past few years, you aren't going to see anything different; you won't see any real amazing work besides a few indie snippets because right now PC gaming is not in good shape. You should be in support of all the things developers and publishers do in order to try and stop piracy, because until things are more under control, developers won't care nearly as much as you want them to about the PC gaming market.

Here's a little chart courtesy of Kotaku and TorrentFreak...

post #78 of 83
These companies can cry and moan all they want, it's not going to change a thing.
If there is an opportunity to have something for free people are going to take advantage of it, especially when there's no consequences.
post #79 of 83
I'm not deny'ing that piracy is terrible on the PC but to constantly blame piracy for a game that is basiclly a console ported game is down right insulting. The idea is to curb piracy but accusing your fanbase who stood by them on the PC is not the way to go. Yes Crysis was pirated a lot but it also sold 3 million plus.
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_cannonfodder View Post
I'm not deny'ing that piracy is terrible on the PC but to constantly blame piracy for a game that is basiclly a console ported game is down right insulting. The idea is to curb piracy but accusing your fanbase who stood by them on the PC is not the way to go. Yes Crysis was pirated a lot but it also sold 3 million plus.
I can understand why you aren't happy with the Crysis 2 port, but I have a feeling you know it also isn't just because they are being lazy. Piracy is a serious issue for PC gaming and if it isn't acknowledged by it's own gamers, you have a very big problem. Crytek can't distinguish between their loyal fanbase and pirates, so how can you expect them to trust even their own forum-posters. I'm sure they've given them the benefit of the doubt on many occasions but the sheer amount of piracy associated with Crysis is ungodly, despite it being considered successful for selling 3m units.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Cevat Yerli. Why PC isn't important anymore?