Overclock.net banner

Old games.. way better

2K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  EntTheGod 
#1 ·
Just a question..

Since I've built my current pc (august '10) I have found myself going back to games I played years ago.

I find that over 75% of my time is spent playing CS:S or even re-playing half-life 2 or something along those lines.

I own bfbc2 (all the hype how would you not get it) but just don't find myself being able to get into it. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with what I find a lack of community on each server... but I now feel like I wasted my money building a computer that I almost never really fully utilize.

TL;DR

Anyone else feel that they fall back on games they have played for years, as opposed to the 'latest and greatest' ?

#2 ·
I play tf2 lots. Gotta love valve games. But I like bc2 a lot as well bit I always fall back on civilization series and tf2.

#4 ·
I do agree that some of the newer games are just , turn and burn for profit.

With that being said there are some good games out there ,and some potential greats upcoming.
I think its more what your into, i also find myself falling back on bf2, diablo2, age of empires, games like that ,that always give me the warm and fuzzys!!

#7 ·
I feel pretty similarly. After around the Doom 3/HL2 releases, I couldn't really get into new games. The only game I really play consistently is CS: S. I'll rarely open up another one unless I really feel like playing something or I'm just that bored.

It seems like most new hyped games are just slightly tweaked multiplayer FPS' that improve graphics and add more gimmicks (perks, achievements, etc). The occasional RPG comes along that I really like but those seem rare.

I suppose I just like vanilla multiplayer FPS' like CS/Quake where it's just raw gameplay without the added nonsense of vehicles/perks/etc, or quality single player games.

#9 ·
I have bought about 5 games that are least new to me, and I'm not sure what exactly is wrong.

I play through the single player (most of the time) and then move on to the multiplayer. tehmaggot you hit it pretty well with your comment about perks/vehicles etc.. when I play a FPS I want to do just that.. shoot. I don't want any of the extras...

Anyone suggest a game that isn't tf2 thats a good fps?

#10 ·
you think you've wasted money on a pc... Let's just say the only thing I've played on mine in the last 3 months was Mircrosoft Power Point

EDIT: I just noticed my 'backup' rig is faster than your main rig - and I never use that

So please don't make thread like this, it only makes us feel worse

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoogins;12809699
I have bought about 5 games that are least new to me, and I'm not sure what exactly is wrong.

I play through the single player (most of the time) and then move on to the multiplayer. tehmaggot you hit it pretty well with your comment about perks/vehicles etc.. when I play a FPS I want to do just that.. shoot. I don't want any of the extras...

You said youve got CS, if youre looking for something better than that, youre not going to find it.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoogins;12809699

Don't get me wrong, I do see how vehicles and stuff could be entertaining. I just find it exhausting how games like Crysis, CoD, and Battlefield seem to be trying to top each-other with how much extra crap they can add.

I can only recall a handful of games in the past few years that I've played/completed and really feel they were worth the money. Most of them were single player games, since it seems most multiplayer games are flooded with these little tricks.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy;12809717
you think you've wasted money on a pc... Let's just say the only thing I've played on mine in the last 3 months was Mircrosoft Power Point

EDIT: I just noticed my 'backup' rig is faster than your main rig - and I never use that

You are clearly way cooler than me because you can afford to build a backup pc thats better than mine.

However, thats not the point of this post.

My question was more or less.. do you find that most of you computing power is going to waste while you play the only games you like (not new ones)

but again, thanks for the info on your backup rig..

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoogins;12809805
You are clearly way cooler than me because you can afford to build a backup pc thats better than mine.

However, thats not the point of this post.

My question was more or less.. do you find that most of you computing power is going to waste while you play the only games you like (not new ones)

but again, thanks for the info on your backup rig..
well you missed the point of my post entirely but that's OK. I'll spell it out for you:

there are only 3-4 games that will truly put our computers to work. And almost all of these are because the games are poorly optimized. Such as Crysis, Metro 2033. So no matter what you do with your PC, you could easily get away with playing the latest games with a much more budget computer

#17 ·
Here's my advice dude:

Play the old games and try to expand your horizon. BC2 is a fantastic game by all means. From a FPS standpoint, team play, or solo gun'n'run. It is more fun playing with people you know, as all games are that have that availability.

There are a ton of FPS games to play.

UT ~ all the flavors
Quake ~ all them flavors too
CS:S ~ you already play
COD4, MW2, BOPS ~ I prefer COD4 but to each his own
Frontlines: Fuel of War ~ nothing amazing at all and probably not what you're looking for but worth mentioning.

And, if you want even more of a throwback:

Doom II, III (three was excellent in the graphics department for it's time, still looks decent today in a lot of respects)
SoF ~ Awesome game.
Delta Force 2 ~ and other flavors (Black Hawk....)
CS 1.6 (or 1.5 if you care to)

FPS with a twist:

Bioshock 1 / 2
Fallout Series
Stalker Series ~ Some love it, I personally hated it.
Crysis 1/Warhead ~ Enough has been said about them by now.

There are more FPS games out there.. the question is whether or not you want to broaden your view on the games. Like I said, BC2 is a great game in a lot of ways and pretty crappy in other ways. I feel the greatness outweighs it's faults, much more so than MW2 or BOPS in their respective franchise.

That's my input. Take it how you will.........
redface.gif

#18 ·
The only thing i been paying for the last 2 weeks is Minecraft, and SC1&2

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy;12809862
well you missed the point of my post entirely but that's OK. I'll spell it out for you:

there are only 3-4 games that will truly put our computers to work. And almost all of these are because the games are poorly optimized. Such as Crysis, Metro 2033. So no matter what you do with your PC, you could easily get away with playing the latest games with a much more budget computer
I think you may have missed the point of this thread entirely then... it wasn't about maxing out graphics at all.. it was about new games and how they just aren't as good/captivating to me as a whole then previous games.

ganja, props. Doom 3 scared the crap outta me when it first came out (dark room.. 3am hehe). I own mw2 and bops and just felt like it wasn't a game to 'connect' with anyone on. I haven't played ut since 2k4, maybe its time to give it another go. Never really gave quake a go, so thats another route I'll def try. CS 1.6 should stay where it is.. (not being played by me LOL).. but thank you for you suggestions!

#21 ·
Honestly most games I play are indie games since they have more replay value.
Currently playing Revenge of the Titans I got from the Humble Bundle deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy;12809717

If all your doing is Power Point for the last 3 months, why not use your awesome processing power to fold for OCN & the cure?
smile.gif

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoogins;12809956
Doom 3 scared the crap outta me when it first came out (dark room.. 3am hehe)
Hah - didn't scare me cause played it in full light and low sound...
tongue.gif

RTCW also, don't forget! Still people playing though I really don't know why...
tongue.gif

Others also to think of:

Far Cry 1/2 ~ I never played one and bought two and never got into it..
Golden Eye Source Mod ~ really just not very good.. was supposed to be like the original and in my opinion was 10% of at best.
Day of Defeat (1.6 & Source) ~ I used to love me some DoD, never played the source variant.

#24 ·
I agree, these new games are just for the cash.
I've already blown through Bulletstorm while being bored through half the game.
If BF3 can't deliver I might as well go ahead and sell my PC. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.