Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Q9300 Overclocking help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q9300 Overclocking help - Page 3

post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingT View Post
Yeah just like I thought..

Now I'm affraid that your motherboard is problem there..

That is P43 chipset motherboard and those can't push more than 420MHz FSB with a C2Q..

Their FSB OC limit ranges from 400 - 420MHz..

And you should consider your P5P43TD/USB3 a good one for making it to 413MHz with Q9300..

Sorry dude for higher FSB you need a better motherboard like P45 chipset and DDR3 support:

Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P (DDR3)

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe,

Asus P5QC (it has DDR2 and DDR3 support)

Also you should look for these X48 chipset mobos with a DDR3 support:

Asus P5E3 Premium

Asus P5E3 Deluxe

Asus P5E3 Pro

Those DDR3 mobos would be able to push that Q9300 to the maximum..

CHEERS..
Oooooh, haha, I see. I just changed it to 420 FSB to see if it would post and it did. Is there anything wrong with running at its max setting? It seems pretty stable, 40 C idle, 50 at max load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
you will be waiting awhile...saying i3, i5, i7 is akin to saying "ford mustang"...

the 1366 cpu's were the first i7's, then came the 1156 platform, which had i3's,i5's and i7's...now we have the 1155 platform, which again has the same as the 1156...

i'm not sure what seperates i3's and i5's and i5's to i7's, i use to think it was hyperthreading and cache sizes, till i realize there were dual cores in the i3 and i5 line that had hyperthreading, and pretty hefty level 3 caches...i7's definitely seem to be a quad-core+ only segment, where i5's seem to be a mix of dual cores, quad-cores, and dual cores with on-die graphics....i3's seem to be dual cores with on die graphics.

a 600mhz overclock is a GOOD OC, and even being a quadcore you still got a few more years of life left to it before its aging architecture and lower clock speed start effecting its performance over 1ghz OC is reachable but not really the normal, and anything over the 1ghz OC is really an exception
Ah, I see. Perhaps ill start investing in a new mobo/cpu for when this guy starts showing its age. I've been pretty content with it thus far. Thanks!
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare365 View Post
Oooooh, haha, I see. I just changed it to 420 FSB to see if it would post and it did. Is there anything wrong with running at its max setting? It seems pretty stable, 40 C idle, 50 at max load.
There's nothing wrong with going for max FSB..

You should try even higher if mobo can take it..

But "seems stable" is not what you should settle for..

You should test stability of your OC..

Testing methodology:

1. First test these with 6x CPU multiplier with Prime95 LARGE FFT test for at least 6h (12h is ideal) and stock Vcore as your CPU would be running @ 420x6=2.5GHz..

2. If you pass reboot to BIOS and then upp your Vcore and set CPU multiplier to 7.5x..

3. If it doesn't boot keep adding Vcore untill it does..

4. Then in Windows test 420MHz FSB x7,5 =3.15GHz with Intel Burn Test for 20runs w/ max RAM dedicated for the test.

If you crash then just upp Vcore and test it again..

5. If you pass 6hrs of P95 LARGE FFT & 20 runs of Intel Burn Test then you're ROCK SOLID..

KEEP YOUR CORE TEMPS UNDER 75C IN ANY STRESS TEST..

CHEERS..
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 G0 @ 3.3GHz (1.25V LOAD) Asus P5KPL-VM G31 GeForce 8500GT @ 700/1600/445 Apacer 2x1GB 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar 160GB (7200,8MB) LG DVD Win 7 Ultimate 64bit build 7601 LG 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
5$ keyboard Cheap stuff Linkworld crappy/modded SmartBox cheap 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 G0 @ 3.3GHz (1.25V LOAD) Asus P5KPL-VM G31 GeForce 8500GT @ 700/1600/445 Apacer 2x1GB 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar 160GB (7200,8MB) LG DVD Win 7 Ultimate 64bit build 7601 LG 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
5$ keyboard Cheap stuff Linkworld crappy/modded SmartBox cheap 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingT View Post
There's nothing wrong with going for max FSB..

You should try even higher if mobo can take it..

But "seems stable" is not what you should settle for..

You should test stability of your OC..

Testing methodology:

1. First test these with 6x CPU multiplier with Prime95 LARGE FFT test for at least 6h (12h is ideal) and stock Vcore as your CPU would be running @ 420x6=2.5GHz..

2. If you pass reboot to BIOS and then upp your Vcore and set CPU multiplier to 7.5x..

3. If it doesn't boot keep adding Vcore untill it does..

4. Then in Windows test 420MHz FSB x7,5 =3.15GHz with Intel Burn Test for 20runs w/ max RAM dedicated for the test.

If you crash then just upp Vcore and test it again..

5. If you pass 6hrs of P95 LARGE FFT & 20 runs of Intel Burn Test then you're ROCK SOLID..

KEEP YOUR CORE TEMPS UNDER 75C IN ANY STRESS TEST..

CHEERS..
Is 7.5 the highest the multiplier will go? If it goes higher is it safe to push it beyond 7.5?
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare365 View Post
Is 7.5 the highest the multiplier will go? If it goes higher is it safe to push it beyond 7.5?
yeah 7.5 is the highest multiplier...
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Q9300 Overclocking help