Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] All Pre-NDA GTX590 Threads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] All Pre-NDA GTX590 Threads - Page 25

post #241 of 1505
Me no likey both the 6990 and the 590. Same chips, same performance.. dual gpu basically means crossfiring&SLIing the chips on board yawn... bring the new series already. i set my eyes on the next powerful single gpu from amd or nvidia.
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz w/EK Monarch ram block 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz w/EK Monarch ram block 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #242 of 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
No, it won't. Look at the clock speeds. Expect it to be 10-15% slower than the Radeon HD 6990.
I'd like to see why you're so adamantly attached to this idea that its slower than a 6990.

Considering how much better a 580 is versus a 6870, and how much better SLI 580's are compared to CF 6870's a 20% drop in clocks combined with traditionally better Multi-card scaling I'd say this is a very close race. Not definitive either way, but very close.

This will very likely come down to whichevers cheaper. However, given power restrictions on the PCIE spec, I'd reckon the 6990 Will OC better as I suspect it's got the lower TDP.
Edited by TheSprunk - 3/16/11 at 1:12am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Asus X58 Sabertooth MSI 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE Samsung Green Power LP DDR3 1600  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung F1 1TB Corsair H70 CPU Cooling 3xCougar CF-V14H 140mm Case Fans 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
3x Cougar CF-V12H 120mm Case Fans Dell S2440M 21.5" 1080P  Rosewill Mechanical RK-9000BRI Corsair HX750 
CaseMouse
Xigmatek Asgard Logitech M570 Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Asus X58 Sabertooth MSI 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE Samsung Green Power LP DDR3 1600  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung F1 1TB Corsair H70 CPU Cooling 3xCougar CF-V14H 140mm Case Fans 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
3x Cougar CF-V12H 120mm Case Fans Dell S2440M 21.5" 1080P  Rosewill Mechanical RK-9000BRI Corsair HX750 
CaseMouse
Xigmatek Asgard Logitech M570 Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #243 of 1505
I'm basically going to buy whatever performs best at stock clocks at 2560x1600. My predictions lie with the 6990 being ahead, however, my 5970 is already loud enough. I don't like gaming with a fan beating the crap out of my eardrums (sometimes I like to game at sound levels which don't make my ears bleed after 30 minutes) so I'm going to pick up a 6990 with custom air cooling or stick it under water.
post #244 of 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
This card has 1024 CUDA core. It will blow HD 6990 away. Who cares about stock clock. HD 6990 cant OC for Shxt. 612Mhz leave people with up to 950Mhz room to OC. HD 6990 can even pass 950Mhz starting @ 880Mhz.
I can see you reasoning here. But cooling is going to be the major issue when overclocking.
Also the price point will be an interesting one.
You can pick up a gtx 570 for about €320. So 2 for €640.

You can pick up a HD6990 for about €630 over here, a little cheaper than two 6970s.

If they price this card at €550, in fact they pretty much have to. How will this affect the 580 price I wonder.
Edited by Newbie2009 - 3/16/11 at 2:25am
post #245 of 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSprunk View Post
I'd like to see why you're so adamantly attached to this idea that its slower than a 6990.

Considering how much better a 580 is versus a 6870, and how much better SLI 580's are compared to CF 6870's a 20% drop in clocks combined with traditionally better Multi-card scaling I'd say this is a very close race. Not definitive either way, but very close.

This will very likely come down to whichevers cheaper. However, given power restrictions on the PCIE spec, I'd reckon the 6990 Will OC better as I suspect it's got the lower TDP.
you meant the 6970 right?
post #246 of 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPUser View Post
By how much, other than Dirt 2 and the CIV/BC2 graphs you posted (all games of which are known to suck on AMD cards and are addressed in the current 11.4 drivers) I'll bet you all the rest of the games you listed there the 6990 is within 2-3% of 570 SLI. And the 590 will be SLOWER than 570 SLI.
Maybe. The 11.4 drivers don't help with OpenCL of Civ5 though, so those tests still stand.

I'm definitely looking forward to more 11.4 test comparisons then. I still think anyone who wants a 6990 should just get 2 6970s. It's cheaper and OCs more along with a warranty. Be sure to connect both bridges though since a single Xfire bridge bottlenecks above 2560x1600.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvese View Post
The graphs you posted are for the 5970? And also I'm sure nobody cares about the two benchmarks you linked with civ5 ( PS 11.4 preview drivers increase performance by *70%* )

Just look at actual 6990 benchmarks http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6990-review/21

6990 is the clear winner.
The 11.4 drivers don't help with OpenCL of Civ5 though, so those tests still stand.

This shows a 6970 equal to a 570 at stock clock comparison. So since the 570 tends to OC more Mhz then 6970 it might still barely come ahead even with 11.4. Hoping for some good OC reviews since stock comparisons are pointless on OCN though.

I'd say 2x6970 is the clear winner for price/OC/warranty. I'd like to see some scaling benches of the 6970s/570s alongside the 6990 11.4 for true comparison. (I don't think they re-did the 6970 using 11.4 in their comparison charts. They're using existing test result data)
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 3/16/11 at 5:11am
post #247 of 1505
^^ yep - only look at getting a gtx 590 or ati 6990 if you are planning to go tri-fire/quad fire

where these cards will scale better than three/four individual cards
post #248 of 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
I still think anyone who wants a 6990 should just get 2 6970s. It's cheaper and OCs more along with a warranty.
Wrong and wrong. On both count. Copy and pasting internet FUD. Do you have a 6990?

XFX and Sapphire 6990 warranty is fine if you use the BIOS switch on the 6990. Confirmed by both manufacturers. Please post real facts, not FUD to scare people. Buy XFX or Sapphire if you want a 6990. Full warranty on both. The ''warranty'' thing is green-spread FUD. But the facts are facts. XFX and Sapphire both honor the warranty fully, even if you use the switch.

I have a 6990 and 6970 at home, and I can get the same OC with both. I have both running at 1000/1400 for now, since I have the stock cooler on my 6990. So you are wrong again.

And to correct another internet FUD spread by the green fanboys putting oil on the fire: it's not hoter or noisier then a 5970 or a 580 SLI set-up. I know, I had both (and still have the 5970). The 6990 is NOT NOISIER and NOT HOTER then a 5970 or a 580 SLi set-up, IN A GOOD CASE WITH GOOD VENTILATION.

Waiting for my 6990 waterblock to go higher.

So please. You were trying to spread FUD again. Please verify your facts next time before posting. Or get the cards and check by yourself instead of copy and pasting what you read somewhere else.
Edited by Levesque - 3/16/11 at 4:55am
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-5930k @ 4.9  i7-3930k @ 5.1 (2nd rig) Asus Rampage V (X99) + Asus Rampage IV (2nd rig) 2X Nvidia 1080 Ti SLI watercooled 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2X Nvidia 980 Ti SLI watercooled (2nd rig)  4X8GB=32GB G.Skill DDR4-2700 4X4GB=16GB Ripjaws DDR3 2400 CL9 (2nd rig) 3X Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 250GB 3XSeagate 3TB LG Blu-ray writer 2X Quad-120 MCR420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2X Triple-120 MCR320 + 1X Triple-120 Feser 2X Dual-120 XSPC RX240 32 Gentle Typhoon fans (mix of 3000 and 1850rpm) Reservoir 2X Koolance RP-452x2 with 4X MCP655 p... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2X EK Supreme HF CPU waterblock Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU IPS G-Sync 2440p (main rig) 3X 30'... CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S MX blue switch, C... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCP1200 + AX850 dual PSU main rig, AX120... Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 ... Logitech G502 x 2 PSB speakers 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-5930k @ 4.9  i7-3930k @ 5.1 (2nd rig) Asus Rampage V (X99) + Asus Rampage IV (2nd rig) 2X Nvidia 1080 Ti SLI watercooled 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2X Nvidia 980 Ti SLI watercooled (2nd rig)  4X8GB=32GB G.Skill DDR4-2700 4X4GB=16GB Ripjaws DDR3 2400 CL9 (2nd rig) 3X Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 250GB 3XSeagate 3TB LG Blu-ray writer 2X Quad-120 MCR420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2X Triple-120 MCR320 + 1X Triple-120 Feser 2X Dual-120 XSPC RX240 32 Gentle Typhoon fans (mix of 3000 and 1850rpm) Reservoir 2X Koolance RP-452x2 with 4X MCP655 p... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2X EK Supreme HF CPU waterblock Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU IPS G-Sync 2440p (main rig) 3X 30'... CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S MX blue switch, C... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCP1200 + AX850 dual PSU main rig, AX120... Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 ... Logitech G502 x 2 PSB speakers 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #249 of 1505
What?!? No overclock switch that voids the warranty

I'm sticking with my SLI'd evga superclocked gtx 570's.
Slaytanic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.2Ghz 1.232V Asus Rampage II Gene EVGA Classified GTX 570 SLI Mushkin 996805 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 120GB, VelociRaptor 300GB Blu Ray LG|GGC-H20L Windows 7 Professional x64 SAMSUNG S27A950D 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard FC200R... SeaSonic X750 Antec 902 Razer Imperator - Battlefield 3 Edition 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
Slaytanic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.2Ghz 1.232V Asus Rampage II Gene EVGA Classified GTX 570 SLI Mushkin 996805 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 120GB, VelociRaptor 300GB Blu Ray LG|GGC-H20L Windows 7 Professional x64 SAMSUNG S27A950D 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard FC200R... SeaSonic X750 Antec 902 Razer Imperator - Battlefield 3 Edition 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz XT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #250 of 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque View Post
Wrong and wrong. On both count. Copy and pasting internet FUD. Do you have a 6990?

XFX and Sapphire 6990 warranty is fine if you use the BIOS switch on the 6990. Confirmed by both manufacturers. Please post real facts, not FUD to scare people. Buy XFX or Sapphire if you want a 6990. Full warranty on both. The ''warranty'' thing is green-spread FUD. But the facts are facts. XFX and Sapphire both honor the warranty fully, even if you use the switch.

I have a 6990 and 6970 at home, and I can get the same OC with both. I have both running at 1000/1400 for now, since I have the stock cooler on my 6990. So you are wrong again.

And to correct another internet FUD spread by the green fanboys putting oil on the fire: it's not hoter or noisier then a 5970 or a 580 SLI set-up. I know, I had both (and still have the 5970). The 6990 is NOT NOISIER and NOT HOTER then a 5970 or a 580 SLi set-up, IN A GOOD CASE WITH GOOD VENTILATION.

Waiting for my 6990 waterblock to go higher.

So please. You were trying to spread FUD again. Please verify your facts next time before posting. Or get the cards and check by yourself instead of copy and pasting what you read somewhere else.
I have stated that XFX was the exception in other posts. There's a lot more than 2 manufacturers though. The 6970s are still cheaper and OC higher since they have individual cooling. 1000Mhz on a 6970 isn't impressive.

As for noise levels, its strange that your opinions are the opposite of established review sites. :shocker: 2x6970s are just cooler and quieter. Same with the 580s.

p.s. XFX doesn't have a reliable history in honoring legitimate RMAs so I'm not sure how much weight their statement actually holds. I'd never buy from XFX personally.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 3/16/11 at 5:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] All Pre-NDA GTX590 Threads