Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [EN] NVIDIA's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 590 emerges, can't slay the Radeon HD 6990 titan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EN] NVIDIA's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 590 emerges, can't slay the Radeon HD 6990 titan - Page 17

post #161 of 458
This review says the GTX 590 has lower power comsumption under load

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi..._gtx590/16.htm

Quote:
In three out of four measures the GTX590 delivered lower power consumption numbers than the HD 6990 achieving one of the goals for this card. Compared to the GTX 580 SLI consumption, the GTX 590 is significantly lower under load.
What's the average overclock without voltage for the GTX 590? I have seen 675-690Mhz, not much it seems. Then again the 6990 adds voltage to achieve the 50Mhz overclock when you turn on the switch
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #162 of 458
I was waiting for the 590, but now I think I'm leaning towards just grabbing two 580's instead.
post #163 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin View Post
What's the average overclock without voltage for the GTX 590? I have seen 675-690Mhz, not much it seems. Then again the 6990 adds voltage to achieve the 50Mhz overclock when you turn on the switch
Difference is the 6990 would overclock just as well as the single cored 6950/6970's with decent cooling.

But with the GTX 590, No matter how cool you can keep it that weedy phase design it has will always limit it.
post #164 of 458
I like both of them But if your dropping this much dough on a card, I guarantee watercooling will be considered. I feel weird saying this, but if I was going for an upgrade, it would have been the 590, because it does so well on air.
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #165 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
A beta card is an alpha release, purely for testing and/or trying out...Also called Engineering sample.
The cards that were tested are NOT final revisions, they are NOT release cards and are operating on BETA drivers.
What would you be on? No offense intended but those that were tested were in most cases all final retail versions, such as the ASUS one tested at TechPowerUp. Therefore what exactly does it have to do with anything? An "Alpha" or "Beta" card i would imagine are engineering samples, and as far as I know, AMD and NVIDIA don't send those to review places, they send review samples which are basically just the final product in a box.

Why would a company send a product to be reviewed and then change it and sell a different one without the new one being reviewed? They wouldn't, because it is stupid and misleading. You're just being wrong here claiming the reviewed products were/are not final retail versions. Do you believe that NVIDIA will do some magic and fix the power consumption, heat/noise and the performance so it's superior to the 6990, as well as fix the weak power management system? No they won't. They don't need to do anything because they know their loyal fans will buy these regardless of the flaws and same can be said for the AMD and its cards (think HD 4870 X2).

As for drivers, yes they are in fact beta drivers and should mature in the future however the same can be said for the HD 6990 so it's again an invalid argument and in terms of performance they are about neck and neck and where they really matter is multi-screen performance (eyefininty, surround) and there the 6990 should edge the 590 because of the extra memory.


Quote:
Thus making any final conclusion, retarded because you don't have any actual data...you have a basis and a general assumption; that's it.
The "data" is all in the reviews we all just read...
Branding anybody's opinion or the person themselves a retard is very immature. Considering you claim to be an "Alienware Senior Administrator" you don't seem to act like it, add to that the somewhat poor grammar in a number of posts, forgive me if i come off as being rude.
Edited by Razi3l - 3/24/11 at 9:19am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #166 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi3l View Post
HardwareCanucks' is just a biased place, one look at their homagepage would suggest as much, let alone reading the reviews. If the huge NVIDIA adverts don't suggest it, then I don't know what does.
Lol, cuz they have a Crysis 2 advertisement, that Nvidia also takes part in? They also have a Powercolor contest going on... Does that mean they are changing biases to ATI... give me a break.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro EVGA GTX 580SC 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB Crucial M4, 2x 640GB WD Caviar Black RAID0 Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245B 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v.2 Silverstone Olympia 750W CM HAF-X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro EVGA GTX 580SC 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB Crucial M4, 2x 640GB WD Caviar Black RAID0 Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Professional x64 24" Samsung 245B 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v.2 Silverstone Olympia 750W CM HAF-X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #167 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by richuwo11 View Post
Lol, cuz they have a Crysis 2 advertisement, that Nvidia also takes part in? They also have a Powercolor contest going on... Does that mean they are changing biases to ATI... give me a break.
Some of their reviews are pretty.. "off", when compared to other places, GTX 550 for example which gets "value awards" for being expensiver and slower than a GTX 460 768mb.
Applauding something "successful" or marketing a card for NVIDIA?.. Because we all know the only reason the 550 is branded GTX and Ti is so people from the previous gen are fooled and buy it thinking its a lot faster when its not. You know, the people who don't look at reviews and just buy anything that is newer and seems better, or whatever else.

I guess you're a regular HWC reader so its only natural to defend them but I've been reading their reviews since 09 and they certainly ain't the same to be. But either way I find Anandtech and TPU to be better but that's my opinion.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #168 of 458
i don't really see how people are saying that nvidia won with this card... seems really clear to me the 6990 is superior. the only legitimate basis is noise. but a buyer of a top of the line card is after performance as top priority. most people who are into serious performance will have water cooling as an option. i really don't think you can discredit who won based primarily on noise... that's being ridiculous imo. there's a card that cannot be overclocked and blows up vs a card that is stronger but noiser.... to me it's a no brainer who won..
post #169 of 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHydra View Post
I'd say the 590 is a complete success. It has similar performance to a 6990 while being smaller, quieter, more power efficient, and it costs the same price.
actually 590 is a total fail....675mhz is the stable OC that have been achieved above that it needs to up the voltage which blows the card LOL... and 6990 achieved 1ghz core with 100% fan...

6990 has faaaar better OC headroom...nd no fear of burnouts*
come on a 700$ card nd u r limited!!!!
AMD has a clear winner here nd remember u get extra 1gb memory for the same price..
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 990x @ 4.0ghz(atm) ASUS Rampage III Extreme ROG Sapphire RADEON HD6990 Kingston HyperX T1 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD 7,200RPM LG Windows 7 64bit SONY KDLNX720 40'' 240HZ 3D LED 
PowerCase
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV02 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 990x @ 4.0ghz(atm) ASUS Rampage III Extreme ROG Sapphire RADEON HD6990 Kingston HyperX T1 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD 7,200RPM LG Windows 7 64bit SONY KDLNX720 40'' 240HZ 3D LED 
PowerCase
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV02 
  hide details  
Reply
post #170 of 458
one day the green team will come back.... and the reds will be begging for mercy!!!!
my first child
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.2ghz Evga X58 Sli3 2x Gtx 460 @ 820Mhz [SLI] 12GB G skill 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD x2 1TB Western digital Caviar Black 1TB 5900 rpm Seagate (Storage) Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 pro 64 bit Samsung 27" 1920x1080 Saitek Eclipse II Corsair AX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Haf X R.A.T. 7 Albino Klipsch Promedia 2.1 w/ 200W sub 
  hide details  
Reply
my first child
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.2ghz Evga X58 Sli3 2x Gtx 460 @ 820Mhz [SLI] 12GB G skill 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD x2 1TB Western digital Caviar Black 1TB 5900 rpm Seagate (Storage) Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 pro 64 bit Samsung 27" 1920x1080 Saitek Eclipse II Corsair AX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Haf X R.A.T. 7 Albino Klipsch Promedia 2.1 w/ 200W sub 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [EN] NVIDIA's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 590 emerges, can't slay the Radeon HD 6990 titan