Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [HWC][Nvidia] Nvidia's response to GTX 590's frying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[HWC][Nvidia] Nvidia's response to GTX 590's frying - Page 9  

post #81 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin View Post
2 6970s do not go against 2 GTX 580s though. So lets say once you overclock the GTX 590 you could get the potential of 2 overclocked 570s you are getting really good performance right there.

Why limit the cores? Because of power draw, because of heat, because of price

To me the 6990 does not overclock better than the GTX 590 at all. Even at 1000Mhz it's only a 20.5% overclock. Considering the GTX 590 at stock clocks is comparable to the 6990

In some cases the GTX 590 at 607Mhz was on par with the 6990 at 880Mhz

Im not saying that 580x2 is weaker that 6970x2. Where did you get that. As i have stated in a couple of threads now if you want raw power go 2 580s if you want the best 2gpu single card setup go 6990. There is no reason to get the 590 in my opinion.

To your 570 argument why waste the cores go get 2 570s.

As far as overclocking, you really thinnk people are going to want to overclock the 590 with the crappy powerplane they setup. Not sure about yourself, but i don't want to throw 700-750 dollars down the drain. When the 6990 is proven to overclock. Matching at stock for these cards means nothing, since the average consumer is not going to be buying this.
Edited by Gnomepatrol - 3/25/11 at 9:21am
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
post #82 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol View Post
Im not saying that 580x2 is weaker that 6970x2. Where did you get that. As i have stated in a couple of threads now if you want raw power go 2 580s if you want the best 2gpu single card setup go 6990. There is no reason to get the 590 in my opinion.

To your 570 argument why waste the cores go get 2 570s.
Considering the performance. I disagree with you. The GTX 590 is the better buy, quieter, runs a little cooler and most likely overclocks better.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
post #83 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin View Post
Considering the performance. I disagree with you. The GTX 590 is the better buy, quieter, runs a little cooler and most likely overclocks better.
Read any of the reviews? I don't think you have.
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
post #84 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol View Post
Read any of the reviews? I don't think you have.
I did they got it to even 700Mhz with no voltage added

TPU and Pureoverclock they both added voltage and got it at 775Mhz
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
post #85 of 172
Dude... why do you call idiot to people that maybe have more years of professional activity in this field that you have in years of life?

Get a grip ...
post #86 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin View Post
I did they got it to even 700Mhz with no voltage added

TPU and Pureoverclock they both added voltage and got it at 775Mhz
Quote:
Even with these limitations the GTX590 managed to be pushed from its default 613MHz to 660MHz which should be enough to give us some boosts in testing.
That's a beast of an overclock!!!!
post #87 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
At the people saying "Don't OC it and run it out of specifications!", this card is aimed at the market that does overclock...nVidia knows this and should have designed the card for that, add in the fact that if you're unlucky and get a lower quality batch of VRMs and GPUs (i.e. The ones that require more voltage, can happen no matter what) then this could happen at stock...And one site had it happen at 1.025v I think?
yeah man nvidia just slammed hammer on their own foot by giving two 580 cores in 1 PCB...............if they would have given two 570 cores it would have good factory stock clocks,would have much better OC headroom nd would have beaten the 6990 easily....but these 580 cores r limiting these features......having this card is JUST bragging rights that have 2 580 cores on 1 PCB...nothing else

so nvidia has lost this dual GPU round up..
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 990x @ 4.0ghz(atm) ASUS Rampage III Extreme ROG Sapphire RADEON HD6990 Kingston HyperX T1 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD 7,200RPM LG Windows 7 64bit SONY KDLNX720 40'' 240HZ 3D LED 
PowerCase
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV02 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 990x @ 4.0ghz(atm) ASUS Rampage III Extreme ROG Sapphire RADEON HD6990 Kingston HyperX T1 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD 7,200RPM LG Windows 7 64bit SONY KDLNX720 40'' 240HZ 3D LED 
PowerCase
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV02 
  hide details  
post #88 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin View Post
I did they got it to even 700Mhz with no voltage added

TPU and Pureoverclock they both added voltage and got it at 775Mhz
Did you read any of the reviews, let alone the original post of this thread? Or are you just that much in denial?
i7k
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Seagate Barracuda Deepcool Assassin Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung KS8000 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll ASUS VG248QE SAMSUNG 2433BW Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
i7k
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Seagate Barracuda Deepcool Assassin Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung KS8000 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll ASUS VG248QE SAMSUNG 2433BW Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
post #89 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedros View Post
Dude... why do you call idiot to people that maybe have more years of professional activity in this field that you have in years of life?

Get a grip ...
If you set the voltage of a GTX 590 to 1.2v and don't watch your temps you should probably call yourself an idiot. I know this because I have a GTX 480 and voltage in little increments does increase heat alot. I know the GTX 580 is not as power hungry but you should still watch your temps.

My rule is never play with voltage at stock fan speed. The guy at Pureoverclock says if you will touch the voltage set your fan to say 60%

Anyone that got the 6990 to anything higher than probably 940Mhz with voltage added had to set the fan very agressive or else it just downclocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvese View Post
Did you read any of the reviews, let alone the original post of this thread? Or are you just that much in denial?
???

The thread says Nvidia responds to 590s Frying.

Nvidia says don't go crazy on the voltage, especially on stock cooling.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
post #90 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin View Post
The GTX 590 runs a little cooler .
In answer to this I post this....Now_is_it_cooler?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [HWC][Nvidia] Nvidia's response to GTX 590's frying