Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Waterfox 48.0.2: 06 September [Firefox 64-Bit]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waterfox 48.0.2: 06 September [Firefox 64-Bit] - Page 204

post #2031 of 7225
I'm having an issue after installing this change for automatic updates where I get a pop up that states WaterFox was unable to find any updates and it freezes the browser! mad.gif
I'm probably going to just disable this and update manually.
post #2032 of 7225
My Waterfox is working perfect. Thanks to the compiler of Waterfox for the provided 64-bit links, they have proven of great help during my latest install.

I have one question, although not directly related to Waterfox I hope it is ok to ask: If I am running a 64-bit Windows on a 64-bit architecure PC and running a 64-bit application such as Waterfox, why would I need the x86 versions of various applications? I am thinking of i.e. the adobe flash installer, which is both x86 and x64, and dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.

What do I need the x86 bits for?
Should I pursue the road of tampering with the installers to get a custom and clean 64-bit experience ?
post #2033 of 7225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFreak View Post

I'm having an issue after installing this change for automatic updates where I get a pop up that states WaterFox was unable to find any updates and it freezes the browser! mad.gif
I'm probably going to just disable this and update manually.

MrAlex has provided how to enable automatic update instructions on his home page. This is still a work in progress to get newer versions of Waterfox so if it doesn't work, I'm sure he'll tweak the instructions when the next version is released.

How to enable automatic updates?

If you aren't getting notifications for automatic updates then do the follow steps:

1) Enter about:config in the address bar
2) Search for app.update.url.override (if it does not exist, Right Click > New > String)
3) Modify its value to http://waterfoxproject.org/update/%CHANNEL%/%VERSION%/update.xml
Edited by djkilla - 4/4/12 at 5:06pm
post #2034 of 7225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalPlaza View Post

I have one question, although not directly related to Waterfox I hope it is ok to ask: If I am running a 64-bit Windows on a 64-bit architecure PC and running a 64-bit application such as Waterfox, why would I need the x86 versions of various applications? I am thinking of i.e. the adobe flash installer, which is both x86 and x64, and dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.
What do I need the x86 bits for?
Should I pursue the road of tampering with the installers to get a custom and clean 64-bit experience ?

If you're running Windows 64bit, then only get 64bit programs/software if available. If 64bit programs/software of what you want aren't available, then get the 32bit version. 64bit versions will run smoother and faster in Windows 64bit. Don't tamper or try to force a 32bit program into a 64bit program. It won't work. The code of these programs have to be compiled with proper software and settings to make it 64bit. Hope this helps!
post #2035 of 7225
Oi! That was one fast response time, djkilla! smile.gif

What I meant:

Those installers I mentioned install BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Can I isolate the 64-bit parts (.msi) inside the .exe and only install these packages, or do I need the 32-bit packages as well?
Edited by AvalPlaza - 4/4/12 at 5:22pm
post #2036 of 7225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalPlaza View Post

Oi! That was one fast response time, djkilla! smile.gif
What I meant:
Those installers I mentioned install BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Can I isolate the 64-bit parts (.msi) inside the .exe and only install these packages, or do I need the 32-bit packages as well?

Short answer, no.

When installing software with both 32bit and 64bit built into the installer, the software detects if you have Windows 64bit and automatically installs just the 64bit version. Not both the 32bit and 64bit version unless you have 32bit and 64bit software that needs both versions installed. For example, you have Firefox which is 32bit and Waterfox which is 64bit installed. Then if you go to Adobe's web site to install flash which contains both 32bit and 64bit in one installer, both will be installed (32bit Flash for Firefox and 64bit Flash for Waterfox). If you only have Waterfox, then only the 64bit Flash would be installed. Same thing for Internet Explorer 32bit and Internet Explorer 64bit.

Some installers will be seperated. In the case of Adobe Flash, I don't use the installer which contains both the 32bit and 64bit. I only get the 64bit installer which is available but hard to find on Adobe's web site. See my post #2027.

If the installer contains both, I don't think you can seperate them. If you want to try, Winrar and similar programs won't work but ISOBuster might.
Edited by djkilla - 4/4/12 at 8:25pm
post #2037 of 7225
Thread Starter 

@djkilla thank you very much for replying to all the users! It's a great help.

 

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching memory allocators. I'm sure we can squeeze some more performance from a better malloc. I'd be curious to see how much of an improvement tcmalloc would bring,  but I'm getting conflicting opinions on it. Some state it's a bad general allocator because it retains the memory that it fills, but others say that it's good for when threads are created/destroyed.

 

I guess the only way is to test it out tongue.gif

    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2038 of 7225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post

@djkilla thank you very much for replying to all the users! It's a great help.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching memory allocators

I guess the only way is to test it out tongue.gif

I'm happy to help. I know you've been busy with school and other stuff so I decided to jump in and offer my help. I'm with you on testing new settings and ideas to improve Waterfox. Right now, Waterfox is the best 64bit browser to get. I definitley give it the kick-ass award! thumb.gif
post #2039 of 7225
I installed 11.0 and it won't open waterfox at open as firefox.exe and in discription write it's waterfox but then process close itself
My System
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 Gigabyte r9 280x Kingston HyperX blu DDR3 8GB 1600 Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 640GB Blue Vertex 3 240 GB Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
Dell 2209wa LC Arkangel 850W Enermax Chakra Sennheiser HD 598 
Other
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 Gigabyte r9 280x Kingston HyperX blu DDR3 8GB 1600 Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 640GB Blue Vertex 3 240 GB Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
Dell 2209wa LC Arkangel 850W Enermax Chakra Sennheiser HD 598 
Other
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2040 of 7225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaTCE View Post

I installed 11.0 and it won't open waterfox at open as firefox.exe and in discription write it's waterfox but then process close itself

Make sure you have the Visual C++ Redistributable file installed.

Visual C++ Redistributable file:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632

If you have a blurry font, type about:config in the address bar. In the filter at the top type gfx.direct2d.disabled. Change it from false to true.

If you still have problems, are you using an Intel or AMD processor? Are you using Windows 64bit? Are you getting any error messages? Do you have a firewall installed (not including the windows built-in one)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Waterfox 48.0.2: 06 September [Firefox 64-Bit]