Logos by Miloš Mirković
What’s new in Waterfox 52.0?
- Temporarily reverted to MSVC on Windows
- Updated to Firefox 52.0
- Removed 64-Bit NPAPI Flash only limiation
- Pulled changes that fixed various issues with telemetry, startup performance and more. Big thanks to PandaCodex for their contributions!
- There is a small bug on about:home with the logo being misplaced which I’ll make sure is resolved in a small bug fix update.
Mozilla are depracating XUL/XPCOM and moving to WebExtensions. What is the future of Waterfox going to be like?
A discussion was started recently, where you can see what plans I have. These are NOT CONCRETE, but rather ideas of different routes to pursue.
The idea is as follows for varying version of Waterfox as well as a new browser forked from the last usable XUL/XPCOM/Add-on version of Firefox:
- Waterfox ESR version of that specific fork, where nothing changes but security patches.
- Waterfox RR version that follows the new direction Firefox heads in (Rust features et al.) but removes all telemetry, profiling etc. Similar to Waterfox, but since eventually Rust will replace most of the codebase there won’t be any other ways to differentiate).
- A new browser that modernises the existing codebase
Now the issue here is getting developers on board to help develop this new browser. Ideally I’d like to have an organisation that pays skilled developers who want to be associated with such a project and make it full time. I have considered going to seek funding as I’ve had good success with ventures that do social good yet don’t need to bow to pressure of investor demands. Ideally though, the browser is self sufficient and runs similarly to how Mozilla does without the need of investment. Crowdfunding could be another way, but I’m rather weary the reputation this has as can be seen by the many scandalous headlines of promises never being met. A company constitution could be written though to make sure that the needs are met, if not the money returned. One issues though is what returns do users get? Shares in the company? Money return after X amount of time? There are many routes possible so please join the discussion in the reddit thread of possible ways to get such a large project underway! I’ll update this blog post with further information.
What features does Waterfox currently have?
- Compiled with Clang-cl on Windows, Clang+LLVM on Linux
- Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
- Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
- Removed Pocket
- Removed Telemetry
- Removed data collection
- Removed startup profiling
- Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins
- Allow running of unsigned extensions
- Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
- Addition of Duplicate Tab option (toggle with browser.tabs.duplicateTab, thanks to PandaCodex)
- Locale selector in about:preferences > General (further improved by PandaCodex)
- When using a profile shared by Firefox, sponsored tile and snippet URLs may overwrite default Waterfox settings, enabling them again
- Automatic updates will be delayed by 24 hours to make sure there aren’t any pressing issues before seeding to everyone.
- Quantum Reality
- Andre Chappel
- Jack Pieron
- Dean Surkin
- Richard Haire
- DE MARCO, LLC
- Garrett Anderson
- Mark Greenway
- Brenda Fernández
- Matthew Trump
- Kevin Blas
Edited by MrAlex - 3/15/17 at 2:41am