Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Waterfox 53: 24 April [Firefox 64-Bit]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waterfox 53: 24 April [Firefox 64-Bit] - Page 637

post #6361 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshap9 View Post

But it is running sloppy on 2 separate computers that have nothing to do with each other and are never connected to each other n any way. My gaming rig and my work laptop. Granted one is slower than the other but tabs should open super quick on my gaming rig where it is installed on my ssd drive. Specs in my signature and my work laptop is only 3 years old albeit it is only a HP Pavilion g series, 64 bit, win7 and compared to what is being built nowadays it could be considered last generation stuff inside but for email, basic browsing, linkedin, twitter the browser is just not performing very well at all whereas my palemoon browser which I installed at the beginning of the summer as a backup browser is super fast. I am going to install the nightly 64bit firefox and start trying other 64bit browsers and I also will try to reinstall this thing. I am at that point of no return and it has happened a few times since the merge.
It's more than possible that your Waterfox/Firefox profile has become bloated which can definitely cause slowdowns - personally I've only ever once had Waterfox be slower than Firefox which wasn't caused by a profile issue and that was with a dodgy recent build (32.0.x if I recall correctly), the one before it and 33.0.2 are/were definitely faster than Firefox for me.

If that were the case, then Palemoon being faster would be a likely scenario, considering Palemoon uses a different profile and therefore would not have the same problem.

There's a new profile how-to here, though obviously you'll need to specify waterfox.exe and C:\Program Files\Waterfox\waterfox.exe instead of firefox.exe and C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe as needed.
Edited by BMT - 12/3/14 at 10:18am
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6362 of 7308
Honestly, I blame the Firefox fast-release cycle for MrAlex's Waterfox problems. There just isn't enough time to get in good beta testing and shakedowns of a program being compiled with a non-default memory allocator and extreme optimizations when the bugfix decimal-point releases come almost as fast as the initial testing gets done.

I would suggest "freezing" the compilation mechanism at each major number increment and using the same compiler settings for the minor decimal point security fixes unless there is a pressing reason to change the compiler's behavior and subsequent exhaustive retesting.
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6363 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

Honestly, I blame the Firefox fast-release cycle for MrAlex's Waterfox problems. There just isn't enough time to get in good beta testing and shakedowns of a program being compiled with a non-default memory allocator and extreme optimizations when the bugfix decimal-point releases come almost as fast as the initial testing gets done.

I would suggest "freezing" the compilation mechanism at each major number increment and using the same compiler settings for the minor decimal point security fixes unless there is a pressing reason to change the compiler's behavior and subsequent exhaustive retesting.

Cyberfox has there updates day of or day or so after and they have little to no bugs at all. I had less bugs with it in fact that waterfox.
post #6364 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post

Cyberfox has there updates day of or day or so after and they have little to no bugs at all. I had less bugs with it in fact that waterfox.

same day firefox or before release they fast thumb.gif like 12 types builds

how waterfox 34.0 word alex from
Edited by malcomX - 12/4/14 at 8:41am
post #6365 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

how waterfox 34.0 word alex from
Whenever it's done. Asking MrAlex for updates every few days isn't going to make it happen any faster.
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6366 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

It's more than possible that your Waterfox/Firefox profile has become bloated which can definitely cause slowdowns - personally I've only ever once had Waterfox be slower than Firefox which wasn't caused by a profile issue and that was with a dodgy recent build (32.0.x if I recall correctly), the one before it and 33.0.2 are/were definitely faster than Firefox for me.

If that were the case, then Palemoon being faster would be a likely scenario, considering Palemoon uses a different profile and therefore would not have the same problem.

There's a new profile how-to here, though obviously you'll need to specify waterfox.exe and C:\Program Files\Waterfox\waterfox.exe instead of firefox.exe and C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe as needed.

Ok Thanks much much thumb.gif I'll give that a try because the the 3 other browsers are all working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post

Honestly, I blame the Firefox fast-release cycle for MrAlex's Waterfox problems. There just isn't enough time to get in good beta testing and shakedowns of a program being compiled with a non-default memory allocator and extreme optimizations when the bugfix decimal-point releases come almost as fast as the initial testing gets done.

I would suggest "freezing" the compilation mechanism at each major number increment and using the same compiler settings for the minor decimal point security fixes unless there is a pressing reason to change the compiler's behavior and subsequent exhaustive retesting.

Yes, in my op I did speculate that Mozilla's release cycle could be to blame. I hope Mr. Alex is making good coin for these his headaches. How can one person keep up with Mozilla's release cycle and then my question is; is he obligated to do so?
post #6367 of 7308
MrAlex, I'm using 33.0.2 and still get crashes on any page that uses WebGL. New profile does not help. Is there still an ongoing issue?
post #6368 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

I'd be tempted download the Waterfox 33.0.2 installer again and re-run it, you won't loose any settings etc. and hopefully that should overwrite any outdated files. (Make sure to quit waterfox before installing if you do go that route, else the installer won't be able to overwrite the files).
The installer did indeed replace the dll with the one you had, and I'd expect updater.exe to work once again. It's still strange how I ended up with a wrong version. I don't remember doing anything fancy with my installation, just getting the usual updates. I hope the problem doesn't resurface.
post #6369 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

Whenever it's done. Asking MrAlex for updates every few days isn't going to make it happen any faster.

he on here all time last 4 hour not stop write 30 second post working on 34 or any sign happen something surely not take to time make post thumb.gif
a hello nice would be
post #6370 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCoward View Post

The installer did indeed replace the dll with the one you had, and I'd expect updater.exe to work once again. It's still strange how I ended up with a wrong version. I don't remember doing anything fancy with my installation, just getting the usual updates. I hope the problem doesn't resurface.
Glad to hear that sorted you out smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

he on here all time last 4 hour not stop write 30 second post working on 34 or any sign happen something surely not take to time make post thumb.gif
a hello nice would be
In the past MrAlex hasn't tended to give updates much unless there's a major problem that he wants to let us know about, generally he'll just post a test build when it's done.

Personally I doubt I'm going to be using Waterfox much more now anyway, because with today's release of Firefox Developer Edition (which is what I use on my Mac at work), they released a 64bit Windows version (firefox-36.0a2.en-US.win64-x86_64.installer.exe).

For those of you that don't know what Firefox Developer Edition is, it's an official Firefox release based on the Aurora channel (which is in between the Nightly and Beta releases). So likely to be more stable than Nightly, but less stable than a beta - plus some added features useful for us web-developers. Personally, I haven't had any major issues with it.
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Waterfox 53: 24 April [Firefox 64-Bit]