Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Waterfox 53: 24 April [Firefox 64-Bit]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waterfox 53: 24 April [Firefox 64-Bit] - Page 638

post #6371 of 7308
An interested question tho is...
Will Mozilla x64 version contain the customations that MrAlex has done to better performance like in Waterfox?
If not I think some of us will continue to wait for MrAlex superb bulds.smile.gif
post #6372 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

Glad to hear that sorted you out smile.gif
In the past MrAlex hasn't tended to give updates much unless there's a major problem that he wants to let us know about, generally he'll just post a test build when it's done.

Personally I doubt I'm going to be using Waterfox much more now anyway, because with today's release of Firefox Developer Edition (which is what I use on my Mac at work), they released a 64bit Windows version (firefox-36.0a2.en-US.win64-x86_64.installer.exe).

For those of you that don't know what Firefox Developer Edition is, it's an official Firefox release based on the Aurora channel (which is in between the Nightly and Beta releases). So likely to be more stable than Nightly, but less stable than a beta - plus some added features useful for us web-developers. Personally, I haven't had any major issues with it.

dev editon for test tools with more tracking by mozilla try cyberfox you must

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemer View Post

An interested question tho is...
Will Mozilla x64 version contain the customations that MrAlex has done to better performance like in Waterfox?
If not I think some of us will continue to wait for MrAlex superb bulds.smile.gif

firefox 35 out soon alex skip 34 i feel
post #6373 of 7308
Thread Starter 

Hi all!

 

There have been a flood of posts recently that I'll be replying to soon. Apologies for being so inactive, I had assignments due the last week for uni so I've been working and handing those in, but since that's done I'm working on Waterfox again! Early next week the release should be ready.

 

Will keep you all update on everything :)

 

Alex

    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6374 of 7308
Thread Starter 

For anyone who doesn't want to read through this big reply, go to the bottom of the reply and see my opinions on a certain topic. It's the big block of text. Please note they're just my opinions and I could be very wrong, but I like being very open with everyone who uses Waterfox, since it means so much to me!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldelmalaga View Post

I would like to know more about Waterfox. Where is it developed?

 

Developed by a final year university student. Started when I was 16 and had a break for a few months last year, but it's become pretty much full time now. Come next March it'll be 4 years that I've been working on Waterfox. It started first as just a straight 64-Bit recompilation of Firefox, but that wasn't good enough. So I've spend so many hours making it possible to compile Firefox with Intel's C++ compiler, which brought fantastic performance improvements to Waterfox. AMD systems benefit as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybex View Post
 
  • What happened?
    got an error when updating waterfox ( auto update)
    updated twice and happened both times
     
  • Are you able to reproduce this problem consistently?
    havent tried to update again after the 2nd update
     
  • What steps did you take to reproduce this problem?

    ran update aagain
  • What action did you expect to occur when this bug appeared?
    for it to update
     
  • Any additional information that will help us diagnose the issue:
    this is the first time waterfox has notified me an update is available, usually i have to update manually
     
  • Browser, active browser addons, and operating system:
    waterfox, win 7 64bit waterfox is my default browser
     
  • URL where the issue occurs:

    dont know, window popped up and i just clicked yes to update and it happened , it seemed to update and shows the correct ver number but thought it wise for you to see the error.

    i am just a user so thought best to leave it to the experts, i really don't know if its significant or not.. sorry. if i am wasting your time, but love waterfox and thought it better to say something


 

I've seen this pop up a few times, it doesn't affect anything but it's annoying and I'm trying to get rid of it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trommy View Post

Sit on 32.0 version. Dont know a problems. New not equal better

 

That's fair enough. 34.0 bring in a better memory allocator though, so you might want to update for security.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili4kata View Post

Hello! I have a problem - when I try to install the bg.xpi add-on for Bulgarian language on Waterfox, I get a message that says that the file is corrupted. Could you help me? Thank you!

 

Strange, always get issues with that language pack! I'll look into it :).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panermk2 View Post

If you want to mess up your toolbar the use the latest update.

I HATE having the stupid address bar locked IN-PLACE and UNMOVABLE below the tabs bar in the latest Firefox update.

Which I why I don't use Firefox much. They have adopted the to heck with what people want attitude.

Now you can imagine how happy I was when the latest waterfox update did the same DAMN thing.

So for now I un-installed and am now using an older version of waterfox. Just like I was with firefox.

So then why should I use ether?

Well the search is on for a new browser.

 

 

Sorry about that, but I don't mess around with any of the UI stuff. Waterfox is meant to be a seamless alternative to Firefox, but faster.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybex View Post
 
  • What happened?
    got an error when updating waterfox ( auto update)
    updated twice and happened both times
     
  • Are you able to reproduce this problem consistently?
    havent tried to update again after the 2nd update
     
  • What steps did you take to reproduce this problem?

    ran update aagain
  • What action did you expect to occur when this bug appeared?
    for it to update
     
  • Any additional information that will help us diagnose the issue:
    this is the first time waterfox has notified me an update is available, usually i have to update manually
     
  • Browser, active browser addons, and operating system:
    waterfox, win 7 64bit waterfox is my default browser
     
  • URL where the issue occurs:

    dont know, window popped up and i just clicked yes to update and it happened , it seemed to update and shows the correct ver number but thought it wise for you to see the error.

    i am just a user so thought best to leave it to the experts, i really don't know if its significant or not.. sorry. if i am wasting your time, but love waterfox and thought it better to say something



Interesting.

I recommend that you try downloading the full installer from the Waterfox website and installing it.
https://waterfoxproject.org/

I checked my system, and in the Waterfox directory the file libiomp5md.dll is there with a date of 11/6/14.

This is a library file for the Intel compiler that MrAlex uses when building Waterfox from the Mozilla source.

Chas

 

Thanks for helping, seems this is a prevalent issue that I need to get resolved!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post

This seems to be in line with the issue Mozilla have been addressing in their numerous 33.x.x patches! Look out for 34.0 (hopefully) next week!
Will be skipping until Nov 24!

 

but firefox 34 dec 1st ?? we get waterfox 33.1.1 ??

 

Builds are ready, testing everything and the likes!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
 

he said in the bit you quoted '34.0', implying that the 33.x.x patches would be rolled up into 34 so he doesn't need to do twice the work.

 

Yep, pretty much!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post

he said in the bit you quoted '34.0', implying that the 33.x.x patches would be rolled up into 34 so he doesn't need to do twice the work.

not twice work firefox 34 not Nov 24 firefox 34 dec 1st this 2 week plent time for update fix large memory leak fix bugs fix security waterfox not safe in current state
or does alex not care user saftey ?? just skip build ?? frown.gif

 

Of course I do! 34.0 is cleaning up a lot of these issues.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0079 View Post



you do realize that waterfox is freeware and its the holiday season, if you're so worried about bug fixes that you cant wait 2 weeks why not use another browser until waterfox get updated?

more memory leaks waterfox has big security holes they be exploited but only affect waterfox 33.0.2 smile.gif

i tell http://www.overclock.net/t/975626/waterfox-33-0-2-10-november-firefox-64-bit/6250#post_23123689 alex

i tell more http://www.overclock.net/t/975626/waterfox-33-0-2-10-november-firefox-64-bit/6260#post_23133510

he see http://www.overclock.net/t/975626/waterfox-33-0-2-10-november-firefox-64-bit/6270#post_23139767

but no update i try help frown.gif

 

Don't worry I saw and am grateful. Fixes aren't always straightforward though!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

not twice work firefox 34 not Nov 24 firefox 34 dec 1st this 2 week plent time for update fix large memory leak fix bugs fix security waterfox not safe in current state
or does alex not care user saftey ?? just skip build ?? frown.gif
Waterfox is maintained by one person, MrAlex. He only has so much spare time and does this as a hobby, not a job.

He's seen and acknowledged your points regarding security issues, but has already said it's unlikely that there will a Waterfox update until Firefox 34 has been released.

In my opinion, that's fair enough - if you're going to spend your spare time doing something, you should probably make sure that it makes sense before you do it - and with the Firefox 33 branch MrAlex would have wasted a lot of his spare time if he tried to keep up with every update.

So yes, I'm sure he cares, but no, he does not have an infinite amount of spare time to dedicate to working on Waterfox.

If you have an issue with that, then I would advise you not to use Waterfox until whenever MrAlex releases version 34.

For the record, I've been using Waterfox for years and have never had any problems from potential security issues it may have had.

 

This is it essentially, thanks for your support.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLook View Post

malcomX

Maybe you could contact MrAlex and offer him some help!
As stated multiple time in these posts, he is mainly working on WF by himself.

 

Don't worry I can understand the frustration users feel! I try my best though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickmic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post


Hmm that shouldn't be happening at all. Nothing this article can help with? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-sync-troubleshooting-and-tips

 

no, i've created new profiles etc and while the profile that syncs if i run ff, it will not sync when i run wf.
the sync button wont show activity, just does nothing - but i can close wf, open ff and sync works

clean installs, new profiles etc across devices and still no change

 

Hmm, this isn't acceptable. I'll see if I can create some test cases, then get back to you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seti View Post

MalcomX...Alex answered your question...I don't know if he could have been any clearer that with all the fixes that come out for Firefox between builds...Alex has decided for Waterfox to not jump and make a new build at the same pace as Firefox, so he opts to do Waterfox updates in a manner that several patches are done at once. In this instance...he will skip 33.x.x and do this with release 34. That is how it has been done for some time now as far as I know and in all this time there are very few that have had issue with this process. However, for those that can't wait or don't subscribe to Mr Alex's methods...they are free to take the source for Waterfox and go at it according to their own wishes. So feel free to go that route if Waterfox is in such a dire state in its current form that you cannot wait.

I also wanted to tip my hat to you Mr. Alex for doing such a great job at addressing so many question here on the forum. My gosh it is good to see your posts, but I feel for ya when they are a page long answering questions. However, that is the kind of person you are...helpful and devoted to Waterfox...which I know many people appreciate. Thanks for all the hard work.

 

Thanks for the support seti, it's greatly appreciated!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCoward View Post

For a couple of months now, waterfox updater has failed for me because libiomp5md.dll is missing.

 

Ignoring the silent updater, does the Menu>About updater not do it's job? If so let me know, that shouldn't be happening!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

Waterfox is maintained by one person, MrAlex. He only has so much spare time and does this as a hobby, not a job.

He's seen and acknowledged your points regarding security issues, but has already said it's unlikely that there will a Waterfox update until Firefox 34 has been released.

In my opinion, that's fair enough - if you're going to spend your spare time doing something, you should probably make sure that it makes sense before you do it - and with the Firefox 33 branch MrAlex would have wasted a lot of his spare time if he tried to keep up with every update.

So yes, I'm sure he cares, but no, he does not have an infinite amount of spare time to dedicate to working on Waterfox.

If you have an issue with that, then I would advise you not to use Waterfox until whenever MrAlex releases version 34.

For the record, I've been using Waterfox for years and have never had any problems from potential security issues it may have had.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLook View Post

malcomX

Maybe you could contact MrAlex and offer him some help!
As stated multiple time in these posts, he is mainly working on WF by himself.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by seti View Post

MalcomX...Alex answered your question...I don't know if he could have been any clearer that with all the fixes that come out for Firefox between builds...Alex has decided for Waterfox to not jump and make a new build at the same pace as Firefox, so he opts to do Waterfox updates in a manner that several patches are done at once. In this instance...he will skip 33.x.x and do this with release 34. That is how it has been done for some time now as far as I know and in all this time there are very few that have had issue with this process. However, for those that can't wait or don't subscribe to Mr Alex's methods...they are free to take the source for Waterfox and go at it according to their own wishes. So feel free to go that route if Waterfox is in such a dire state in its current form that you cannot wait.

I also wanted to tip my hat to you Mr. Alex for doing such a great job at addressing so many question here on the forum. My gosh it is good to see your posts, but I feel for ya when they are a page long answering questions. However, that is the kind of person you are...helpful and devoted to Waterfox...which I know many people appreciate. Thanks for all the hard work.

when report security issue most update fix program he could warned users unsafe not let use but no

quote my tech friend

i find it rather funny when people go i have used an outdated version on XXXX product for year with no security issues, i
laugh because most of these attacks are unseen and unknown its not like an attacker wants to have big bright red warnings saying
hay i am stealing your personal data and your passwords, no they in most attacks just collect your data then store it for later, most of these
exploits are most likely to have been fixed in a newer version so when the arbitrary code is executed on an outdated browser with the current flaw
the attacker is able to steal or remote execute code on the users computer, now if they used the newer patched version when the arbitrary code is
executed the attack is null and void has no affect because the flaw was fixed.

think of your web browser as an anti-virus and the browser updates as virus definitions you don't visit websites and install software with outdated anti-virus
you could say i have been using a outdated anti-virus and never had and viruses or issues why should i update or care now, in the mean time a rat was installed
letting the attacker just take there time slowly collecting your data, you don't walk around a nuclear power station without a radiation tag or suit in the radiation areas just because
you can't see the radiation does not mean you have not been affected ?
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

most cases when using an outdated browser on the internet you have encounter one or more threats to your browser security and have lost personal
data as a result that would not have happened if running the newer version, when you look at the case studies you can see in most attacks they are automated
by scripts, bots and other means there sole purpose is to find a weak spot then exploit it, if its personal data its archived if its executed code remotely to download a
file that lays dormant until activated like a root kit you wont know as they don't want to you to know there stealing your data because you will change that information
before they can use it, when you get a letter from your financial institution saying your late on the house loan, car load and the boat loan but your thinking to your self
i don't have any of these loans right then right there you realize your computer was compromised by a Romanian hacker that stole your personal information which they
then used to create a fake identity for financial gain, most of these new age exploits are just for your personal data this information is gold and can be sole many times over
for the purpose of identity freud.

look malcom i have done my part i have emailed the developer about 11 major security issues with waterfox with the information how to produce the issues and potential fix them
i have done my part to help you out its up to the developer to fix these issues, personally i would stop using the browser as its clean the developer just mashes compiler command
together and hopes for the best with little to no regards to user safety which is outline in the emails sent clearly shown by the profile guided linking of the library's leaving undefined symbols
allowing an entry point created, i have shared these exploits to jorge and a few forum members for further analysis so they are public knowledge and if not fixed they will be exploited,
malcom in future if your not going to listen to my advisement then please don't ask for it.

he help fix waterfox i help fix but code broken outdate like browser
one for 32 https://waterfox.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#browser/config/version.txt
one for 15 http://sourceforge.net/p/waterfoxproj/code/ci/master/tree/browser/config/version.txt
not build missing files contaminated with old files
forgive english not good i try more better

 

Sorry about that MalcomX! Waterfox source code is actively updated on github, which is why it'll appear out-dated on other sources. It takes way too long keeping them all in sync. Also I appreciate the effort you make to post in English, being multilingual I know it can be very hard, especially with such long posts! But your memory tips have come in handy. I'm testing out tcmalloc and the results are very promising!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse View Post

@MalcomX: I think if you want to be completely up to date with Firefox then you should stay with Firefox or Nightlies. I appreciate your concerns, but Waterfox will probably always lag Firefox. It's up to you to decide whether the delay is an acceptable risk or not. Personally I am still on waterfox v32, and will happily wait for WF 34 before I upgrade.

In reality if your connected to the Internet you are at risk, whether it's the browser, OS, or some other vulnerability. Waterfox will always lag a few weeks behind Firefox, for me that's not an issue, but I can understand if it's an issue for you. If this is the case, Waterfox is probably not the browser for you.

Just my two cents worth.

 

That's true, but he does also have a point. It's important that I keep Waterfox secure, after all no-one wants to use a vulnerable program!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

quote my tech friend

i find it rather funny when people go i have used an outdated version on XXXX product for year with no security issues, i
laugh because most of these attacks are unseen and unknown its not like an attacker wants to have big bright red warnings saying
hay i am stealing your personal data and your passwords, no they in most attacks just collect your data then store it for later, most of these
exploits are most likely to have been fixed in a newer version so when the arbitrary code is executed on an outdated browser with the current flaw
the attacker is able to steal or remote execute code on the users computer, now if they used the newer patched version when the arbitrary code is
executed the attack is null and void has no affect because the flaw was fixed.

think of your web browser as an anti-virus and the browser updates as virus definitions you don't visit websites and install software with outdated anti-virus
you could say i have been using a outdated anti-virus and never had and viruses or issues why should i update or care now, in the mean time a rat was installed
letting the attacker just take there time slowly collecting your data, you don't walk around a nuclear power station without a radiation tag or suit in the radiation areas just because
you can't see the radiation does not mean you have not been affected ?
I find it funny when people like 'your friend' make generalised comments without taking into consideration things like the fact that someone may be running their browser in a sandbox, that people wouldn't know how to check if a RAT etc. had been installed on their PC and so on.

Not to mention that I highly doubt Waterfox is anywhere near popular enough to be targeted for exploits on a big scale. People would be much better of trying to find vulnerabilities that have been present in Windows for years. Or a vulnerability in Firefox (and therefore Waterfox) so that it can be exploited on a much wider scale.

Any PC connected to the internet is at risk, full stop. There are things that can make it less at risk, or more at risk, but if you want to use the internet it's the game you play assuming that it can't be compromised in some way is idiotic. All you need is one 0-day exploit to come along.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you're taking the time to report security issues. I just wanted to point out the above.

 

Yes that's my hope as well. From estimated calculations (there isn't a way for me to keep track .of active users, because I see that as an invasion of privacy) there are probably about ~200,000 active users? A drop in the ocean compared to the market share of every other browser!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

he say sandbox not full safe
I never said it was, and you missed the point of my post - which was that any device connected to the internet should not be assumed to be 'safe', but never mind.

Sure, you can make things more (using anti-virus & anti-spyware software, sandboxes, keeping all software up to date, etc.) or less safe, but assuming you're safe even if you do everything you can is just stupid, it only takes one exploit that hasn't been detected to compromise a system.

---

On topic, I'm looking forward to seeing Waterfox 34 when it's released soon smile.gif

 

It's almost ready :).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixels View Post

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.
I've been using Waterfox for a couple of months now but I've had an issue with youtube videos since I installed it.
When watching youtube videos in HTML5 there are a lot of issues for me. Some of them work fine but especially the ones that use webm/VP9 codec have problems.
When skipping forward or back in the video the player just keeps loading or the video gets distorted (like with an unsupported codec) and I can only hear the sound. Sometimes waterfox just closes during the playback of the video.
It seems I only have this issue on youtube but no other video sites(maybe other codecs on other sites?). Videos that use adobe flash don't have issues.
When using chrome there are also no issues.

I've tried reinstalling waterfox and launching in safe-mode but the issue persists.

I'm running Windows7 64-bit.

Is there anything else I can try? Do you need some logs to analyse?

Thanks in advance

 

Unfortunately not yet, as Mozilla haven't supported YouTube HTML5 100% yet, so technically it should be 'for testing only'. Hopefully with each release it becomes more stable though!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post

Firefox 34 is out now. Like the new search alot easy to use and gives you all choices as you search.

I heard firefox is switching to yahoo soon so its good you can easily switch back to google...

 

Yes, I won't be releasing 34.0.5 because all it does is makes Yahoo! the default search, and I use StartPage either way. I prefer not to make such a huge mess of version numbers and keep it at 34.0 so everyone knows.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post

Also heads up that firefox 35 will be using MSE enabled by default. Alot of people seem against this but at same time alot people are complaining that firefox does not have 60 fps playable on twitch.tv and youtube with this it will out of the gate from now on.

 

I hope they're not against it! It's part of the HTML5 specification. It shouldn't impede, but enhances everyone's browser experience!

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsTech View Post

I was having the same problems and upgrading and downgrading Waterfox didn't help so I ditched it for PaleMoon now all is good and no need for Classic Theme Restorer thumb.gif
Palemoon has problems of its own, compatibility being biggest one. Most of the addons i use did not work on it at all then there is fact alot sites are not working correctly even with Firefox compatibility mode. I rather just use classic theme restorer then i have 0 issues.

 

To each their own really! Moon Child (developer of Palemoon) is a good developer and he has a different vision for his browser than Waterfox does, so sort of different boats really!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsTech View Post

Adblock plus, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon are working for me. I was having problems with pages not being displayed properly, slow loading and 50% of youtube vids would not playing more than 3min. Now all is working and it's faster as well. I will continue to use it until I have probs and then go back to Waterfox.

 

That's fair enough :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreator1965 View Post

Hi bcooper21,
FireFox 34 has not been released to the Download channels. Nor can it be downloaded via the Web-site.
I should have been clear the final relase is on the beta channel.

Because i was firefox 34 beta 11 now im Firefox 34.0 stable. Seems like final so it should be up very soon i would think and 35 on beta with MSE and 60fps playback.

 

Yep, 34.0 will be release this week for definite!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB965 View Post

Hi new on forum but i follow waterfox i think for beginning...
Problem is crash on html5test or for example google maps...(works on firefox nightly 64)
is it any solution or rollback waterfox or wait for new release...
i didn`t find solution read this forum constantly (my english is not good enough) + dont understand some programers+internet+web stuff works..
Thanks advance...

 

Sorry about that! Definitely shouldn't be happening, what's your system specifications?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by futer View Post

Hello,
After changing youtube to html5 player I don't have sound after some seconds of movie so I had to change it to classical flash again.

 

It's better to use Flash for YouTube at the moment anyway, it's HTML5 YouTube isn't fully supported yet on Firefox.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemer View Post

Hi guys and especially MrAlex..

Any news on release of v34?
Think I read a while back that it was expected week of 24:th.. That week is at it's end now. smile.gif

Also will v34 solve HTML5 probs and other weird probs ppl have been reporting lately

Not trying to stress you Alex but I really am looking forward to v34.smile.gif

 

Yep, will be ready this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemer View Post

Hi guys and especially MrAlex..

Any news on release of v34?
Think I read a while back that it was expected week of 24:th.. That week is at it's end now. smile.gif

Also will v34 solve HTML5 probs and other weird probs ppl have been reporting lately

Not trying to stress you Alex but I really am looking forward to v34.smile.gif
Its any day according to this site Dec 1.

Im looking forward to this update i kinda like the one click search. Then in next update there is 60fps video playback.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

 

Yep it's almost ready for release. If it works properly, I'll enable 60fps in this build instead of 35.0 ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post

Its any day according to this site Dec 1.

Im looking forward to this update i kinda like the one click search. Then in next update there is 60fps video playback.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
Hmm, I was kind of interested in release of Waterfox v34 not Firefox v34.smile.gif

 Haha don't worry, it's coming this week!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

not wait no more use cyberfox now default cyberfox 34.0 out now thumb.gif

 

That's great and all, but I'm not a fan of Cyberfox at all. I like Palemoon. The developer is nice and supportive. Cyberfox on the other hand...

Back in the beginning of 2013 I had a break from Waterfox because I couldn't find a way to balance both my studies and Waterfox. People wanted updates though and I couldn't really find out how to help them, because ICC wasn't working properly with the builds and I just couldn't get anywhere!

 

Low and behold one day, spam starts making its way in anything that Waterfox was on, disqus, sourceforge etc. And what was this spam? Why of course it was bots showcasing Cyberfox! My sourceforge rating took a tumble as it got hammered by negative votes (by bots). And unsurprisingly cyberfox's positive vote count is maxed out at 2 Billion...yeah..right.

Unfortunately I was too late as the damage had been done, a mass exodus of users from Waterfox to Cyberfox. All I could do was damage control. Report the problems to sourceforge (which they rectified, that should be evidence enough!) and then remove all the spam.

 

Edit: I'm probably wrong here as it does appear to be compiled with ICC by checking the buildconfig, I'll check through the source code as well. Props to whomever for making the builds so quick. Either way, point still stands above.

 

Anyway, I don't like causing issues or controversy. Everyone is free to use whatever they like best! That's the point of the web after all (and it's good as well!), but it's very annoying when I get so many people and suspicious posts about Cyberfox all the time. Disqus used to be flooded until I put in a filter to block any mention of Cyberfox. I try to be as neutral as possible and I thought it's time I fill in the gaps. Sorry for the long post and MalcomX this isn't directed at you, more of a PSA.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemer View Post

Hmm
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/34.0.5/win32/

Seems to me v34.0.5 i out.. Even tho it's not on their official site.smile.gif

 

34.0.5 aren't different codebase wise, Mozilla just set Yahoo! as default on US browsers (doesn't affect Waterfox) so I'll be sticking to 34.0 :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

not wait no more use cyberfox now default cyberfox 34.0 out now thumb.gif
Yes cyberfox is always updated sooner its done by alot more people.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post

Yes cyberfox is always updated sooner its done by alot more people.

only one developer

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomX View Post

only one developer

There there site is very confusing 8pecxstudios sort of implies there is more than one person doing everything.

Then in contact info it uses words like Where are we..and Our implying more than one and a team of people.

 

To these quotes, see my reply above about my opinions on this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post

Great job on waterfox!

Im a big fervant of using intel compiler myself, and all the performance improvements that can come with it.

just curious what optimizations have all been used/applied?

and is there a source code from waterfox so i could attempt my own compilation?

 

Hi Marc! You can see the compiler flags I use here:

https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/blob/master/.mozconfig

 

34.0 is better optimised as I worked around some key issues without using MSVC at all! Download the source and let me know how it goes!


Edited by MrAlex - 12/8/14 at 5:07pm
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6375 of 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post

This is it essentially, thanks for your support.
[...]
That's great and all, but I'm not a fan of Cyberfox at all. I like Palemoon. The developer is nice and supportive. Cyberfox on the other hand...

Back in the beginning of 2013 I had a break from Waterfox because I couldn't find a way to balance both my studies and Waterfox. People wanted updates though and I couldn't really find out how to help them, because ICC wasn't working properly with the builds and I just couldn't get anywhere!

Low and behold one day, spam starts making its way in anything that Waterfox was on, disqus, sourceforge etc. And what was this spam? Why of course it was bots showcasing Cyberfox! My sourceforge rating took a tumble as it got hammered by negative votes (by bots). And unsurprisingly cyberfox's positive vote count is maxed out at 2 Billion...yeah..right.

Unfortunately I was too late as the damage had been done, a mass exodus of users from Waterfox to Cyberfox. All I could do was damage control. Report the problems to sourceforge (which they rectified, that should be evidence enough!) and then remove all the spam.
No problem, and as always, thanks for the update MrAlex.

I totally agree with regards to Cyberfox, after the original issues I had when trying it a while back (causing registry issues and uninstaller not working properly) I lost faith in the developer and I don't know quite how to describe it, but it seems like some people are pretty... hostile? About trying to get you to use it.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been told by random people you "need" to try Cyberfox. Long story short, I just don't trust it, am not going to use it and wish people would stop talking about it/trying to force it down my throat.
Edited by BMT - 12/9/14 at 2:47am
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
Core i7 Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0) PALIT GTX 760 Jetstream 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (6x2GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung HD103UJ Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD204UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
LiteOn iHAS524 DVD RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ViewSonic VX2260WM Seasonic X-Series 650W SS-650KM3 
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced RC-692A-KKN5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6376 of 7308
I've discovered a malfunction in the source code related to the startup code of the browser which is causing me to consume too much ram on startup
post #6377 of 7308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedBeans View Post

I've discovered a malfunction in the source code related to the startup code of the browser which is causing me to consume too much ram on startup
Good that you found that! Mind showing me the issue? Either post here or PM me (or whatever method really!)
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6378 of 7308
I tried Cyberfox once.

The experience was a disaster. It totally borked my PC and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Never again.
post #6379 of 7308
What's the general consensus around here regarding the variant pcxfirefox?
post #6380 of 7308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie View Post

What's the general consensus around here regarding the variant pcxfirefox?

 

Never used it, but I've communicated with the developer a few times to solve issues with ICC and the likes. He's quite a nice guy too!

    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Waterfox 53: 24 April [Firefox 64-Bit]