I just turned on my sig PC this morning and got an obnoxiously loud grinding noise from my PSU, almost exact same from an el-cheapo PSU I used to use in my OEM Pentium 4 rig every time it booted up after a year or two of usage (that had a terrible PSU in it though, and the PC and PSU was dust-filled, which my current two aren't). After turning it off and then on again it seems to have stopped. Can anyone tell me what could've caused this and if I should be worried? I only shut it down last night to give it a break as I've run it 24/7 for the past 2 months or so (for 70% of time it's just web surfing/downloading so nothing demanding, as I haven't run any benchmarks besides Furmark once a month or so, nor do I run F@H or anything like that, the other 30% of the time it's just gaming use), now I turn it back on and it's making this annoying sound? Also can someone tell me if the PSU I got has adequate protection and can't kill my PC if it screws up again?
post #1 of 10
3/27/11 at 4:46am