Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG]Crysis 2 sales dominated by Xbox 360 version
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CVG]Crysis 2 sales dominated by Xbox 360 version - Page 17  

post #161 of 188
did anyone actually email Crytek about the whole DX11 hoolablu?

Anyone?
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700x Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo @ 2050mhz G.Skill DDR4 16GB 8GBx2 3200 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 250GB Crucial m500 960GB OCZ Trion 150 960GB Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 2TB DVD drive Corsair H60 2013 edition windows 10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
32inch Crossover 4K Thermaltake SMART M series 750W Powerspec G418 case Thermal 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4910mq GTX 880m (GK104 with 8GB VRAM) 16 GB DDR3 3x Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 0 (1.31 TB total) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung M9T 2TB HDD Bluray/DVD drive Bluray/DVD drive Window 7 Home Premium 
MonitorPower
Panasonic 2880x1620 panel 180w Delta brick 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700x Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo @ 2050mhz G.Skill DDR4 16GB 8GBx2 3200 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 250GB Crucial m500 960GB OCZ Trion 150 960GB Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 2TB DVD drive Corsair H60 2013 edition windows 10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
32inch Crossover 4K Thermaltake SMART M series 750W Powerspec G418 case Thermal 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4910mq GTX 880m (GK104 with 8GB VRAM) 16 GB DDR3 3x Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 0 (1.31 TB total) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung M9T 2TB HDD Bluray/DVD drive Bluray/DVD drive Window 7 Home Premium 
MonitorPower
Panasonic 2880x1620 panel 180w Delta brick 
  hide details  
post #162 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post
This is no suprise at all.

These are only retail sales, which as other have stated, only account for about 20% of all PC game sales. So these figures are rather distorted.

To all of you arguing that piracy is the problem. That's a load a poop. In my game design course we have looked into piracy and the pros and cons and our conclusion (as a class) was that piracy is GOOD for gaming going by the evidence and research we had access too.

Piracy actually results in an increase in sales, not decrease. Since most people who pirate already have no intention to buy the game in the first place. However some people pirate it, like the game and choose to go out and buy it. In fact, my favorite game is The Witcher and if it wasn't for torrents I would have never even heard about it. Safe to say, I went out and bought it the very next day and already pre-ordered number 2.

Its like those idiots who say gaming causes violence but neglect to take into account any pre-existing medical conditions such as mental illness or living in a violent household. Its all flawed.

You can't look at piracy firgures and say every single one is a lost sale. It doesn't work that way. Especially when all the evidence says that the vast majority of pirates have NO (0%, none, nadda, nothing) intention to purchase the product in the first place.

The funny thing about all this piracy crap is that the Nintendo CEO doesn't even blame piracy for lack of sales. He is an advocate of the "IF you make it, they will come" attitude. That is, if you make a quality product, it will sell. End of story.
Your conclusion as a class really doesn't bear much weight. What evidence and research did you use to come to this conclusion?

I suppose that at certain times and certain occasions with certain titles that it can pose more good than harm. So yeah, if you look at an individual titles, you might find occasions where piracy helped sales, but in the grand picture, it hurts sales, significantly. If you have facts that contradict my statement, feel free to post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post
The games market is over-saturated with generic garbage and piracy is a form of protest against the whoring out of game franchises that the likes of Activision do and the general lack of quality in the industry with publishers putting unrealistic constraints on developers just so they can release in time for peak season. Over-saturation is the reason for poor sales figures, not piracy.
Yeah, we've already gone over the gaming pirate's delusion of being some Robin Hood type where they're fighting 'the man'.

IF that was the case then why did people pirate the first Crysis 15:1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post
Crysis 2 is just like any other generic crap you can buy, just with a new $60 price tag. Its nothing new or fresh and for that reason I can see why PC sales are lower than some might expect. You only have to look at the Witcher or STALKER for successful PC games. The Witcher has sold over 1.5million units and for a PC only, polish developed game, that is fantastic. STALKER franchise has sold over 2 million games. Why did they? Because they were something new, or at least fresh. Sure, the Witcher was like many other RPG's but the story was so rich and enthralling that it lead to sales. STALKER was a whole new level of RPG/FPS hybrid and had an amazing atmosphere that we had never really experienced before.
Do you even own Crysis 2? Most people who try to lump it in with other shooters tend to be judging it by what OTHERS say.

Witcher selling 1.5 mil is weak sauce and Stalker selling 2 mil over 3 titles is even worse. PC devs need to make enough money to not only continue improving, but for inevitable failures. If there's no cushion then failure isn't an option and neither is taking chances, thus we end up with sequels and similar gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post
Point being, good games sell. Bad ones don't. Its not piracy's fault, stop using that as an excuse. All it does is give the publishers and developers a scapegoat for making crap games and gives them reasons to keep using intruisive DRM
If a game isn't worth buying or playing then why is it suddenly worth pirating? Don't buy OR pirate it and maybe the game developers would finally get the hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
How are they similar? They're from the first person perspective?
Yep. Just because one is puzzle based and the other is action based doesn't take away from the fact that the guy is neck deep in hateraid and has a double standard for what a good game is for 2 similar titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Also, they're more than welcome to make a new game. But they shouldn't have called it Crysis. They did also say that they are trying to bring a 'PC experience' to the console. What do PCs have and consoles don't? Graphics.
LoL so even though the story and one of the main protagonists is the same, they should have called it something else to pacify tech nerds?!

I feel they did bring a PC gaming experience to consoles. The areas are more open, there are more strategic options, you don't just auto-move from one chest-high barrier to the next, you don't just auto-engage every group of enemies and have to kill them all before moving on.




Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
I've played very few FPS that I liked.

Half-life 1 was my first FPS. Yes it was linear, but for it's time it amazing compared to the other games. It pushed (along with quake) the FPS genre into the next level.

I also played System Shock 2. It was an RPG/FPS which combined the two elements quite gracefully. That is still one of my favorite games to play.

Call of Duty 2/ Medal of Honor (can't remember which one exactly) They were amazing because of the usage of old weapons.

Duke Nukem 3D: Shake it baby!

Fallout 3: Not linear. Also an RPG/FPS but still not quite as combined as System Shock 2.

I do agree that almost all FPS are linear. But that is no excuse for them to be all the same. The truth is, it's not lack of talent on the part of the devs. They just stick to tried and true formulas and don't take any risk because they are just after the money.
First off, Fallout 3 is NOT an FPS. Just because it has a half-assed 2002 version of an FPS-view doesn't mean it's an FPS. If Fallout 3 is an FPS then Portal 2 is a hardcore shooter b/c you 'shoot' portals all the time.

Second, just because practically every game is linear doesn't mean they're the same. It's just a natural progression of a storyline, coupled with astronomical programming costs. You know who truly makes sandbox games? Rockstar. How much do their games end up costing them? $100 million per.

You say 'they're just after the money' and I think that's a childish and immature position to have b/c the fact is they're companies with salaries to pay. IF there was any business sector that sacrificed for their customers, it's gaming. I'm sure EVERY dev would like to make cutting edge graphics with A+ gameplay, A+ stability and a sandbox environment to do it in, but for every area they expand, they expand costs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse^_^ View Post
Crysis 1 was about PC Enthusiasts get brought down on there knees by a Out of this World game which had Amazing Graphics, that brought PC Forward in components.. Especially Graphics Cards...

Now they just took 1 step forward and 3 steps back by Releasing a DX9 Console Port for PC...

Crytek have a QQ about Piracy, if you didnt stab Us PC Gamers in the back then we would buy it.. Its a fish eat fish Gaming world nowdays brought down by crappy Consoles and the horrid ports. There is nothing enthusiast about Console Gaming..
I could agree if you said Crytek disappointed PC gamers but to say that they stabbed us in the back is just sensationalist exaggeration.

If anything you have it backwards. If PC gamers didn't stab Crytek in the back by pirating Crysis 1 by 15:1, then Crysis 2 might have turned out more like Crysis 1.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse^_^ View Post
Being an Enthusaist usually means Knowledge of your system in side and out, also taking Pride in what you built, moded and perfected..

Going to a shop and paying $300 for a X360 DOES NOT CUT IT..
I think you're a tad bit on the PC fanboy side. PCs are nothing more than glorified legos. Until you build your own CPU/GPU/Mobo from scratch, you're not any better off than a console gamer.

And i really fail to see how this point has any relevance to selling video games....
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 3/29/11 at 11:27pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #163 of 188
If I had a Dollar when some idiot at school said your not a Gamer unless your on a Console id have a SR2 by now... I know a guy who is completely obsessed with his Console he never shuts up about it.. Unless its on Xbox and has COD written on it he says its poo..

Another mate just stopped playing Games, got a life and a Girlfriend.. Hes been happy since..

Good Games get bought and Pirated...
Crap Games just get Pirated..

Just look at what happened to COD Black ops...

You seem to be completely unbiased and full of Valid, counter arguments and stating facts..

Kudo's and +1 to you..
Black Pearl
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k 3103B297# 4.7ghz@1.408v AShitRock Z77 Extreme 4 (No.2) ATI Gigabyte 7870HD Crossfire 16GB Corsair XMS3/Kingston 1600mhz, 9-8-9-24-1T... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Green 1TB X2 (Boot/Storage), Seagate ... Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB (Backup) 2X Seagate Barracuda's 7200.7 60GB (Scratch) 2X Super Ritemaster CD/DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua NHC14 P/P 200mm Front, 200mm Top, 120mm Side, 120mm Exhau... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit G2220HD 21.5" BenQ at 1920X1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultmate BF3 Ediiton OCZ ZX 850w PSU HAF912A w 120mm Side fan Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Razer Goliathus Control Edition Corsair Vengeance 1300's/Logitech 530's Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-e Lamptron FC8 Fan controller 
  hide details  
Black Pearl
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k 3103B297# 4.7ghz@1.408v AShitRock Z77 Extreme 4 (No.2) ATI Gigabyte 7870HD Crossfire 16GB Corsair XMS3/Kingston 1600mhz, 9-8-9-24-1T... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Green 1TB X2 (Boot/Storage), Seagate ... Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB (Backup) 2X Seagate Barracuda's 7200.7 60GB (Scratch) 2X Super Ritemaster CD/DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua NHC14 P/P 200mm Front, 200mm Top, 120mm Side, 120mm Exhau... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit G2220HD 21.5" BenQ at 1920X1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultmate BF3 Ediiton OCZ ZX 850w PSU HAF912A w 120mm Side fan Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Razer Goliathus Control Edition Corsair Vengeance 1300's/Logitech 530's Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-e Lamptron FC8 Fan controller 
  hide details  
post #164 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Yep. Just because one is puzzle based and the other is action based doesn't take away from the fact that the guy is neck deep in hateraid and has a double standard for what a good game is for 2 similar titles.
....
First off, Fallout 3 is NOT an FPS. Just because it has a half-assed 2002 version of an FPS-view doesn't mean it's an FPS. If Fallout 3 is an FPS then Portal 2 is a hardcore shooter b/c you 'shoot' portals all the time.
Let me get this straight. It's double standards not to compare a first person adventure game with a "gun" with a first person shooter, but it's not double standards to compare a first person game with at least a dozen guns, to a first person shooter? You are the one with double standards.

Quote:
LoL so even though the story and one of the main protagonists is the same, they should have called it something else to pacify tech nerds?!

I feel they did bring a PC gaming experience to consoles. The areas are more open, there are more strategic options, you don't just auto-move from one chest-high barrier to the next, you don't just auto-engage every group of enemies and have to kill them all before moving on.
I meant they didn't have to go with Crysis in the first place. Different story/setting/name, etc...

I was able to play it yesterday at a friend's house. It's much better than CoD don't get me wrong, and on it's own it's a good game. But it's doesn't hold a candle to Crysis 1.

Quote:
Second, just because practically every game is linear doesn't mean they're the same. It's just a natural progression of a storyline, coupled with astronomical programming costs. You know who truly makes sandbox games? Rockstar. How much do their games end up costing them? $100 million per.
Again, most of the shooters I described in my previous posts are linear, and I agreed with you on that. But they are different. The gameplay of one resembles nothing of the others.

Quote:
You say 'they're just after the money' and I think that's a childish and immature position to have b/c the fact is they're companies with salaries to pay. IF there was any business sector that sacrificed for their customers, it's gaming. I'm sure EVERY dev would like to make cutting edge graphics with A+ gameplay, A+ stability and a sandbox environment to do it in, but for every area they expand, they expand costs too.
For $60 a game (on the PC as well), they don't have an excuse not to expand. If companies like Rockstar can do it, why can't other devs? Last time I checked Rockstar was doing mighty fine.
And if you truly want to treat games as products, then a product is priced according to it's quality. Why aren't games?
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
post #165 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post
Especially when 90% of people who will play Crysis 2 on PC will just pirate it, but everyone says its fine PC is doing good
Come on, that is BS, there has been piracy on the computer since I was a kid and getting Doom on floppy discs. To pretend that PC gaming is dying b/c of piracy is untrue.

There are still plenty of great PC games coming out all the time, the game industry has just become so big, with budgets for AAA games getting so large, that publishers are going where the money is to minimize risk. Since they tend to skimp on the PC release the market is left saturated with a bunch of console port garbage that people just don't want to pay for.

Whenever a real PC game like Fallout 3 comes out, it still sells in the millions.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
post #166 of 188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

Witcher selling 1.5 mil is weak sauce and Stalker selling 2 mil over 3 titles is even worse. PC devs need to make enough money to not only continue improving, but for inevitable failures. If there's no cushion then failure isn't an option and neither is taking chances, thus we end up with sequels and similar gameplay.


Might want to check your figures on that...it's 2 million for the original stalker game. The below article is a little outdated but in their press release(which doesn't exist anymore) says It's 2 million for 1 game.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/commen...ml?id=022308_3
post #167 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Come on, that is BS, there has been piracy on the computer since I was a kid and getting Doom on floppy discs.
yes, that is true but its a whole lot easier now that all you need is a big hard drive and a decent internet connection which is almost given for most people. no finding friends to copy cds, no buying cds or dvds, many programs and songs are still small enough to download in a matter of seconds with dsl speeds .
Edited by dontpwnmebro - 3/30/11 at 12:05am
post #168 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Let me get this straight. It's double standards not to compare a first person adventure game with a "gun" with a first person shooter, but it's not double standards to compare a first person game with at least a dozen guns, to a first person shooter? You are the one with double standards.
You're getting confused. You're too worried about arguing semantics about how valid the comparison/analogy is ( like most of OCN ) instead of arguing the merits of my point.

The point is, the reasons that pioneerisloud absolutely HATES Crysis 2 for are also present throughout Portal. Which he loves. Thus he has a double standard on what constitutes a good game for Crysis 2.


Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
I meant they didn't have to go with Crysis in the first place. Different story/setting/name, etc...
But the point is that you honestly expect them to go through all that JUST to pacify tech nerds?! If so, then your thinking isn't rational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
I was able to play it yesterday at a friend's house. It's much better than CoD don't get me wrong, and on it's own it's a good game. But it's doesn't hold a candle to Crysis 1.
In what respect? I liked Crysis 1 for its gameplay and i thought the story was ok. I liked Crysis 2's gameplay more, the MP is leaps and bounds better than the previous and the story is better but told in a worse way ( just say no to talking nanosuits in cutscenes )

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Again, most of the shooters I described in my previous posts are linear, and I agreed with you on that. But they are different. The gameplay of one resembles nothing of the others.
Ok, so if they're all different, how does Crysis somehow fail in that regards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
For $60 a game (on the PC as well), they don't have an excuse not to expand. If companies like Rockstar can do it, why can't other devs? Last time I checked Rockstar was doing mighty fine.
And if you truly want to treat games as products, then a product is priced according to it's quality. Why aren't games?
So the cost of games has gone up a whopping $10 in the last 8 to 10 yrs and you somehow think that offsets the exponential increase in programming costs?

Pointing at 1 single gaming company among the dozens doesn't say much. In 10 yrs Rockstar could find that their gaming model isn't financially viable. They could produce 2 or 3 flops and get bought out by Activision. You can't just say, 'If they can do it, anyone can' because you don't even KNOW their financial situation to be able to comment in that regard. Correlation doesn't equal Causation.

Just because Rockstar can successfully do what they do, doesn't mean others can duplicate it. HELL, even ROCKSTAR can't know if they can successfully duplicate Rockstar. And Rockstar also doesn't push the envelope regarding graphics, so that's one area that they can relax on while they create huge sandboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5entinel View Post
Might want to check your figures on that...it's 2 million for the original stalker game. The below article is a little outdated but in their press release(which doesn't exist anymore) says It's 2 million for 1 game.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/commen...ml?id=022308_3
The poster i was replying to said 'the stalker series' so i naturally assumed all three without looking it up.

2 million sales is 'ok' but it really matters when the majority of their sales took place. The makers of STALKER and Metro 2033 also benefit from reduced programming costs b/c of where they're based. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 3/30/11 at 12:43am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #169 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
You're getting confused. You're too worried about arguing semantics about how valid the comparison/analogy is ( like most of OCN ) instead of arguing the merits of my point.

The point is, the reasons that pioneerisloud absolutely HATES Crysis 2 for are also present throughout Portal.
You're saying that Portal is an FPS, so it must be judged as one. I'm saying it's not, and thus he is allowed to judge Crysis 2 differently. What else is there to argue but semantics?


Quote:
But the point is that you honestly expect them to go through all that JUST to pacify tech nerds?! If so, then your thinking isn't rational.
No, the only reason they went with Crysis' name is to cash in on the first. It doesn't have to do with pacifying tech nerds, it has to do with being honest with your customers.

Quote:
In what respect? I liked Crysis 1 for its gameplay and i thought the story was ok. I liked Crysis 2's gameplay more, the MP is leaps and bounds better than the previous and the story is better but told in a worse way ( just say no to talking nanosuits in cutscenes )
Crysis 1 was a sandbox game AND it had great graphics. Crysis 2 has none.

Quote:
Ok, so if they're all different, how does Crysis somehow fail in that regards?
Crysis 1 doesn't. But the second one does. It doesn't bring anything new an already over-saturated FPS market.

[quote]
So the cost of games has gone up a whopping $10 in the last 8 to 10 yrs and you somehow think that offsets the exponential increase in programming costs?
[quote]

This isn't about the $10 increase. This is about games being $50-$60 in the first place. More than enough to offset the 'programming costs'.


Quote:
Pointing at 1 single gaming company among the dozens doesn't say much. In 10 yrs Rockstar could find that their gaming model isn't financially viable. They could produce 2 or 3 flops and get bought out by Activision. You can't just say, 'If they can do it, anyone can' because you don't even KNOW their financial situation to be able to comment in that regard. Correlation doesn't equal Causation.
And in 10 years Crytek could find their gaming model isn't financially viable. This has nothing to do with the present.

Quote:
Just because Rockstar can successfully do what they do, doesn't mean others can duplicate it. HELL, even ROCKSTAR can't know if they can successfully duplicate Rockstar. And Rockstar also doesn't push the envelope regarding graphics, so that's one area that they can relax on while they create huge sandboxes.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize Rockstar had a magical genie that automatically made their games sell well, and thus no other developer can reproduce their success.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
post #170 of 188
Can someone please tell me why I'm paying $90 for a new release game in Aust, when our dollar is worth $1.04 US??????

And console games are around $110.

I dont condone piracy (but can understand with such a variance in price tag), would love to see a demo of each game. I purchased Homefront instead, not for graphics. But more for the premise that Korea invades America (fell over laughing when I heard that)

I know plenty of guys that run pirated games on consoles, then most of them go and buy the game if they enjoyed it.

Me, I'll play a demo or watch video then decide to buy it.

Crysis 2 my still find its way into my collection, if the reported bugs get patched.
Vengeance
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X6 1090T Asus Crosshair IV Formula Shappire 6950 shader unlock x2 CFX 4Gb Corsair Dominator (2000Mhz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X 320 GB RAID 0 | 1 TB Spinpoint Asus Dual Layer burner (sata) Win 7 64-bit BENQ 24IN WIDESCREEN 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 XFX 850W Antec 1200 Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Steel series 
  hide details  
Vengeance
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII X6 1090T Asus Crosshair IV Formula Shappire 6950 shader unlock x2 CFX 4Gb Corsair Dominator (2000Mhz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X 320 GB RAID 0 | 1 TB Spinpoint Asus Dual Layer burner (sata) Win 7 64-bit BENQ 24IN WIDESCREEN 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 XFX 850W Antec 1200 Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Steel series 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG]Crysis 2 sales dominated by Xbox 360 version